"Rattle Warranty..."

Finally had the ridiculously annoying rattle from my sunroof fixed... the culprit? A loose clip on the sunroof blind and they agreed with me that it sounded super annoying and they were glad they could sort it for me - even though it did mean for them pulling out all the headlining to get to it.

As they handed back the keys to me though the lady said to me "I'm bet you glad you got it fixed now that you're at 14,700km - the Skoda rattle warranty is 15,000 km".

Wait what?? Skoda rattle warranty? So after this I'm on my own? Yikes.

Be warned everyone- keep your ears pealed and get anything at annoys you looked at early because you might not get a chance later....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Whenwillilearn said:

Sounds like bull. My car has a numerous rattles (sunroof included) with only 6 k on the clock. 

Doesnt bode well for the future!

All cars rattle at some point. Skodas seem to rattle off the production line.

After 7 years of ownership my MkII didn't rattle at all. Yes the dash vents creaked a bit in the winter but, the MkIII Octy and Superb are of lighter construction and seem to rattle  a bit more than their 'inferior' predecessors. 

Compare the rattle free VW amarok that I also have - now at 4 yrs old and 90,000 miles vs the rattles and creaks from <3,000 miles on my more expensive 'superb', combine that with worn leather at 5,000 miles (compared with first marks on the leather of the amarok at around 80,000... suffice to say my first skoda will definitely be my last - the skoda build quality is just not that good (at least on my car).. 

• Like 1

Have to say i have no issues with the build quality of the Superb. After 6 months its rattle and creak free. Its every bit as good as the Seat and BMW that proceeded it.

The last Golf I had was a rattle and creak fest from day one to the day we swapped almost 7 years later.

The 6 posts before this that complain of rattles are not typical of the brand, they would not have such a high reputation if it was.

Lets have some more happy drivers on this thread to even out the bad vibes.

Skoda seem to be a bit hit and miss with the build quality. I had the Mk2 Octavia and creaked and rattled much more than the near silent and decade older Mondeo Mk3 is replaced. In the end with so many other build quality issues the Skoda ended up being the shortest period of time I kept a car. Only after get rid did I realise just how noisy it actually was. Others say how their Skoda's are squeak and rattle free. Looking at the amount of push fit fixings used they may be the lucky ones. 

Trying to look at this scientifically there are a huge number of posts about build quality concerns on this forum - clearly if you are disgruntled you are more likely to post than if you are happy but the sheer number of posts points to there being an issue. The test drive car I drove for half a day prior to purchase was completely rattle free, quiet and a great place to be, mine on the other hand is could be sold in mothercare it rattles so much. My car was delayed with the 'sunroof' issue and I do wonder if it was partially dismantled to fit new parts for the sun-roof. Whatever the reason its a bit of a lemon but with lots of minor things so that it doesn't reach the threshold for rejection.. trim coming off, rattles, worn seats, computer systems needing recalibrating and re-programing, latest thing is the rear window blind does not retract fully and the sunroof blind creeps as you drive along.. but having said that there are clearly people who are happy with their cars.

SO if you do want to buy a skoda my advice would be to buy a second hand one where you can test drive the car you buy as buying new is a bit of a lottery.

Skoda dealership staff really need to read Skoda Warranty t&c's just as buyers do on the 6,500 mile / 6 month time scale on panel alignment and some other issues, then the rest of the t&c's. Not that after 6,500 miles or 6 months that manufacturing faults or materials failings are then not Skoda's problem.  Not even after  2 years or 3 years just because they say they are.  Merchantable quality, and fit for purpose and laws in the EU and member countries can be relevant.  And in the rest of the world obviously.     v w group are often full of crap in Europe yet crap themselves in countries where the customers and courts have teeth.

Edited by Awayoffski

6 hours ago, skidpan said:

Have to say i have no issues with the build quality of the Superb. After 6 months its rattle and creak free. Its every bit as good as the Seat and BMW that proceeded it.

The last Golf I had was a rattle and creak fest from day one to the day we swapped almost 7 years later.

The 6 posts before this that complain of rattles are not typical of the brand, they would not have such a high reputation if it was.

Lets have some more happy drivers on this thread to even out the bad vibes.

My previous octavia was rattle free. Paintwork was awful but it didn't rattle. Thats postive.

• 6 months later...

Just had my service service at 8 months, 18k miles. Informed them of a squeaky/creaky cupholder (flexes and makes sound in normal driving around corners) - only to be told that squeaks and rattles warranty is 6 months 8k miles. I'm not impressed at all and currently taking it up with them on Twitter where I can make a visible stink. Can't see it  explcitly mentioned anywhere in the handbook warranty section or online.

So beware, they might try it on.

2 minutes ago, Conor the Bold said:

Just had my service service at 8 months, 18k miles. Informed them of a squeaky/creaky cupholder (flexes and makes sound in normal driving around corners) - only to be told that squeaks and rattles warranty is 6 months 8k miles. I'm not impressed at all and currently taking it up with them on Twitter where I can make a visible stink. Can't see it  explcitly mentioned anywhere in the handbook warranty section or online.

So beware, they might try it on.

It is mentioned in the literature. I’ve seen it and was also specifically directed to it on the handover for my Superb.  

Anything after this period is classed as ‘fair wear and tear’ 

I don't appear to have the new vehicle warranty booklet and handover was... quick (ALD lease delivery), but with a quick google i did see that limitation - however I am still going to kick a stink, because whilst they might class it as fair wear and tear and it's excluded, this cup holder is clearly defective.

But clearly the moral of the story is as soon as anything goes slightly wrong - don't put it off to the next service.

This is my third Skoda (says something).

The first was on 08 Octavia that covered 104,000 miles in 4 years, rattle free and the only non-service items in the period were tyres and a rear wiper blade. 

The second was a 15 Octavia that covered 35,000 miles in 2 years (2 changes of job) and again was rattle free unless the content of the glove box or door pockets were badly arranged.  Water pump changed at first service (leak) plus 2 tyres.

So far only headlamp issue on this one, no rattles.

In comparison wife had 2 Audis, both rattled and creaked.  They were A2s but paying almost 18k for a car (in 2005) we expected better, makes the Superb look cheap. 

On my 4th superb now,  total miles of almost 600K across the previous 3 cars. First Mark I gave me nearly 300K miles before the water ingress problem screwed up some electrics and started giving me random problems.  None of the 3 cars squeaked even the slightest. Hovever having picked up a 2016 Mark III automatic with 50,000 on the clock it has developed the most annoying vibration on the top of the dash at almost exactly 2000 rpm just before it drops down a gear when under load.  Garage man looked at it and says it defo not mechanical fault but man is it annoying.  Seems like a vibration between the dash and the windscreen.  Anyone else have anything similar or any cures apart from turning the radio up?

I had a squeak (very loud) on my boot lid - car was 2 and a bit years old, and had 35,000 miles on the clock.  Dealer had no issues resolving it (they figured out it was faulty Boot Gas Struts)

If theres clearly an issue with the cup holder, they should honour any warranty left on the vehicle.  May depend on the dealer however.  Squeaks and rattles are (sometimes) subjective.  Some people can deal with the odd squeak/rattle some people like a perfectly silent car.

I'm on my third Superb. Also had the winter dash vent creaks mentioned above on my 2 SII's, but other than that quiet and peaceful. The current SIII is extremely quiet, other than the road noise from the P7's, but that's a completely different topic. I accept I may have been lucky, but if I've been that lucky three times in a row maybe I should start doing the lottery:biggrin:.

It is irony that in the petrol superb model which is very quiet the background noise of creaking and rattling is very pronounced on those that suffer rattles etc.

My sunroof has rattled since i purchased the car 2 dealers have attempted to rectify and both failed. Personally i think the VAG sunroof is flawed as both Audis and VWs also suffer. Anyway to get to the point i raised the issue with SUK who verbally scared me away by stating the 6 month rattle warranty has expired so nothing can be done. I can pursue the issue with the dealer but all work undertaken to find the rattle will be at my cost. Therefore with headlining removal and trim removal i could face a large bill for a nuisance caused by poor initial assembly. IMO this warranty is a great way once expired for dealers to avoid warranty work caused by poor build and assembly.

Ironically the dealer fixed the creaking armrest and cup holder area under warranty....a warranty that im now advised has expired. 

I doubt i will pursue the roof rattle as the headlining removal is a way to severe intervention within the car wherby may well cause other issues after so in this cars case it is what it is. Looks good, more than adequate space but let down by less than robust materials and poor assembly.

Should i complain to SUK anyway? Just for the sake of it wasting my time.