SD card

I am collecting my new Superb SE Technology Estate on Monday. In preparation I was going to copy my music which is currently on a USB drive onto an SD card.

Does anybody have any recommendations on brand ? 

Will a class 4 card be good enough or is class 10 a better option ?

I have looked at the manual and searched the forum but can't find the answer. Plenty about the amount of files etc but not what to use.

Thanks  

Edited by Theo67
Missed a word

The capacity of the card isn't the problem but the ability of the head unit to read all the files. You find various threads on here with people unable to read the full contents on the head unit even though a computer will show them as present. In light of this if you may be better using two 16GB cards and swapping between them otherwise it will only read so many files and that's it,

Check out the user manual for your Superb mine says you can use up to 32GB in the SD slot, currently have two 32GB SD cards on the go in slot 1&2 slot 1 music for the Missus and slot 2 Man driving music, the system has no problem reading any of the files or the music make sure its MP3, hope this helps. 

7 minutes ago, knightowl2 said:

Check out the user manual for your Superb mine says you can use up to 32GB in the SD slot, currently have two 32GB SD cards on the go in slot 1&2 slot 1 music for the Missus and slot 2 Man driving music, the system has no problem reading any of the files or the music make sure its MP3, hope this helps. 

also in the manual

A memory card cannot have more than 5°000°folders and 15°000°files. Thus, one folder cannot have more than 6°000 files

57 minutes ago, knightowl2 said:

Currently using 128gb Lexar class 10 in slot 1, 64gb Sandisk class 10 in slot 2.

No more than 13k tracks in .flac format on either card. No problems with either.

1 hour ago, jrn6581 said:

Slightly off topic but how big of an SD card do you need when you do the map updates?

I'm in the process of downloading the map updates, this evening. The update zip file is 12Gb, but it then unzips onto an SD card, so I would think 32Gb would be needed. For my Amundsen, it says to use the SD card supplied with the car. I believe the Columbus doesn't come with an SD card. 

I don't think any vehicles come with an SD card, I think you are right in needing a 32GB card, you should also have 2 SD slots as far as I can make out, good luck with the update. 

26 minutes ago, knightowl2 said:

I don't think any vehicles come with an SD card, I think you are right in needing a 32GB card, you should also have 2 SD slots as far as I can make out, good luck with the update. 

Here's mine...

image.jpeg

7 hours ago, Theo67 said:

Will a class 4 card be good enough or is class 10 a better option ?

A class 4 will suffice, but...

Class 10 was a result of needing a much faster write rate for 4k video, surveillance recording and the ever faster digital cameras and increases in MP, especially DSLR.

The advantage of class 10 over class 4 is that the (audio) files will be copied much faster (at least more than twice as fast) to the card. This might be a deliberation if you intend copying a large quantity or plan on regularly changing the content.

To use the full speed advantage of Class 10 the SD Card slot on your computer, or USB Card adaptor, should be USB 3.1 or faster. If it's USB 2 you won't gain any advantage.

Copying to a Class 4 won't be much faster in USB 3.1 than using USB 2.

Once the audio files are on the SD Card there is not much further advantage gained between 4 and 10 when you insert it into the infotainment, where it's only being used for Read.

If you're not sure how fast an SD Card slot is on your computer (if it has one) - it will usually be the speed of your other USB ports as the slot invariably shares the same USB bus.

1 hour ago, daveo138 said:

It came with the car. AFAIK it's standard for the Amundsen. 

It is standard on the Amundsen infotainment system, the Columbus has a Hard Drive where the maps are stored, the Amundsen does not so the maps are on the SD Card.

6 minutes ago, ionelmc said:

I didn't get any :| Oh well. What size does it have anyway?

Not sure what size the supplied card is but doesn't really matter because afaik once used for Nav it can't be used as media for music.

Got sd card with my SE technology bought in March this year. Haven't checked for updates yet. Use android auto with the phone = my phone music and up to date maps... No idea why people don't use Android auto or apple car play... Up to date maps, traffic, much much better integration and voice control.. 

Well, I downloaded the 12GB zipped update last night. This evening, I tried to 'unpack' it onto the SD card, only to get a message that the SD card didn't have enough space. The supplied card is only 16GB - how were Skoda expecting that to work?

2 hours ago, mattjames1980 said:

Got sd card with my SE technology bought in March this year. Haven't checked for updates yet. Use android auto with the phone = my phone music and up to date maps... No idea why people don't use Android auto or apple car play... Up to date maps, traffic, much much better integration and voice control.. 

I've never noticed traffic in Apple maps on Carplay - am I missing something?

24 minutes ago, daveo138 said:

Well, I downloaded the 12GB zipped update last night. This evening, I tried to 'unpack' it onto the SD card, only to get a message that the SD card didn't have enough space. The supplied card is only 16GB - how were Skoda expecting that to work?

The card is 32GB. It's the way it's formatted that it appears to be 16GB.

Purely for peace of mind make a backup copy of the existing data on the card then reformat it FAT32 or ExFAT. It will now offer you the full 32GB to copy your maps onto.

13 hours ago, BillyJim said:

The card is 32GB. It's the way it's formatted that it appears to be 16GB.

Purely for peace of mind make a backup copy of the existing data on the card then reformat it FAT32 or ExFAT. It will now offer you the full 32GB to copy your maps onto.

The update website supposedly had step by step instructions for updating the maps, but didn't mention formatting the card. 

I'm a bit worried about formatting it, as if the new update doesn't work, will I be able to copy the backed-up data onto the formatted card?