New Octavia purchase , 1.5 dsg petrol or 2.0 DSG Diesel

After 13 years and 245 k with my Octavia 1.9 pd , ive decided to take up the VW scrapage deal and get £3.5 k off a New octaviaia  SEL.

Only question to myself is it best to go for a 1.5 dsg petrol or the 2.0 diesel  both DSG . Prices so far from dealers iam  getting show £1k more for the Diesel .

Will be keeping the car for a while  and expect to average 14k miles a year now i do less traveling .

Anyone with experience on the 1.5 petrol  

Hi John,

I am just about to move from a 2004 Accord CDTI under the scrappage scheme, and had a 1.4TSI on the 72hr test drive....I was a little nervous of the loss of torque and overall BHP but was pleasantly surprised.  To be fair I haven't driven the 2.0TDI,  but have a fair experience of oil burners and VAG cars....and always loved them.  That said the economy and performance on the 1.5 is great and you are steering away from the potential issues surrounding diesel ownership.....they are far from flavour of the month.  You will probably be doing a higher mileage than me, but I think the petrol is probably still a safe bet....spend the extra on leather!

Why not get some test drives under your belt.

Good luck,

Simon

Thanks ,test driven disels but not petrol so need to try one of them ..AS you metioned disel into the future may be the wrong move , tax etc and DPF , and cost wise petrol is 2k cheapr to purchase .

37 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Petrol unless you really rack up the miles, to much uncertainty about diesels future & if you keep your car for 10 years at a time a diesel could be worth nothing by the end.

Anyone keeping their Skoda 10 years can probably safely assume it isn't worth much. Petrol or diesel :tongueout:

• Like 4

Yes , 13 years  and 245 k miles , so used well , but thats a PD and no DPF , doubt if a new version one would go that far , and miles will drop significantly in 6 months due to retirement . If i go the scrapage deal way , will get £3500 of a new Petrol or diesel .

Making a dealer call monday as been ofered a  New 1.5 petrol DSG solid paint  white at £19600 , so if its minus the 3.5k , end cost could be £16.1 k all in ,

• Thanks 1

SEL Model with metalic paint , no other extras ,  i need to make the call to be sure , its not one they have already registered , will let you know as they say it has to be done by end of september 

3 minutes ago, johnmb said:

SEL Model with metalic paint , no other extras ,  i need to make the call to be sure , its not one they have already registered , will let you know as they say it has to be done by end of september 

Yes, please assume that must be the saloon? I'm looking at an estate tbh. 

There won't be many Octavia owners who can give you their experience of the 1.5 TSI petrol engine as it has only just been made available to Skoda (the Golf has had it for a little while).  It has cylinder deactivation similar to the 1.4 engine that has been available for Audi and SEAT (e.g. the A3 and the Ateca).  My wife has an A3 with this engine and it is very good.  I test drove a an Ateca a couple of times (also with the 1.4 TSI engine) and was very impressed.  So much so in fact that I have ordered an Octavia SEL with the 1.5 TSI engine and manual gearbox, expected delivery in December. 

Depending on the type of journeys you do and your driving style, it should be possible to achieve 50+ mpg.

Glen

2.0tdi is great, quick enough and economical. 60 mpg no problems, 57mpg today on a cross country A road quick drive, 74mpg stuck behind a lorry. All the bluster about 'dirty diesel' is going after older diesels, there's almost no chance they'll go after the latest euro engines which have practically the same emissions limits as petrols anyway. You'll probably save about £450 a year in fuel with the diesel.

• Like 2

On 10/09/2017 at 20:34, johnmb said:

Yes , 13 years  and 245 k miles , so used well , but thats a PD and no DPF , doubt if a new version one would go that far , and miles will drop significantly in 6 months due to retirement . If i go the scrapage deal way , will get £3500 of a new Petrol or diesel .

Making a dealer call monday as been ofered a  New 1.5 petrol DSG solid paint  white at £19600 , so if its minus the 3.5k , end cost could be £16.1 k all in ,

Any update John....looking to move soon :-)

ok feedback , would have been a £1k less than your being quoted but  that was for orders and delivery ex stock before end september , as there was a 1k saving , but can not be with any other deal ie scrapage and however No 1.5 in stock anywhere so 15/17 weeks new  build  delivery and similar cost to your getting but  for hatchback with metalic paint . Going to consider options as my old octy is mot end september and could then place order for new build 

1 minute ago, johnmb said:

ok feedback , would have been a £1k less than your being quoted but  that was for orders and delivery ex stock before end september , as there was a 1k saving , but can not be with any other deal ie scrapage and however No 1.5 in stock anywhere so 15/17 weeks new  build  delivery and similar cost to your getting but  for hatchback with metalic paint . Going to consider options as my old octy is mot end september and could then place order for new build 

Thanks John....

With some London councils now charging astronomical prices for car parking for diesels, other councils are likely to follow suit.

Regardless of the Euro6 argument, diesels have had their day - VAG can't make a clean diesel engine anyway (unlike other manufacturers) and just bodge it with pig **** to meet the emissions standards.

That 1.5TSi engine is by all accounts a cracker, I drove a FL O3 with the 1.4TSi in it and was pleasantly surprised, it felt quicker and was quieter than either of my 2.0 CR150 Octavia 3's ever were.

It's a no brainer - 1.5TSi.

I've found a reasonable indication of "future of diesel" from these sources:

For all EU city access regulations. At the moment most focus is on older cars. http://urbanaccessregulations.eu/ 

France's Crit'Air system - it classes diesel EU5 & EU6 as a lower band than petrol EU5 & EU6. https://www.ecologique-solidaire.gouv.fr/certificats-qualite-lair-critair

Some London boroughs have higher resident permit charges and street parking for diesel cars (all categories). https://www.islington.gov.uk/parking/parking-permits/diesel-surcharges

Yes, these are specific to some cities or countries, just UK or EU. Thing is with the diesel issue, countries and local regions are learning from each other around the globe, to determine other charges/restrictions, so it's feasible that local councils will implement some of them as part of their local clean air strategy, or combining standards to reduce confusion.

If you're retiring, I'd presume regular commuting-type travel would reduce along with your mileage as well?

OK did the deal today deposit down , but got to firm up colour and options ,  on 1.5  Petrol DSG , , if i add Winterpack and Metallic paint should be circa £18.3 k all in , as old car on scrappage deal ,  delivery 15 weeks . also getting full tank petrol and Auto Glym finish thrown in by dealer

Does that sound like a Deal i Ask  ??

5 minutes ago, johnmb said:

OK did the deal today deposit down , but got to firm up colour and options ,  on 1.5  Petrol DSG , , if i add Winterpack and Metallic paint should be circa £18.3 k all in , as old car on scrappage deal ,  delivery 15 weeks . also getting full tank petrol and Auto Glym finish thrown in by dealer

Does that sound like a Deal i Ask  ??

Sounds good John...may I ask saloon or estate?

27 minutes ago, Simon1602 said:

Sounds good John...may I ask saloon or estate?

Saloon , Test drive was brill , long half hour , mega quiet , quick , very comfy , good visability , responsive . and that was a 1.4 tsi  2017 reg ,, as no one has any 1.5 petrol to test drive Delivery looking like mid to late  jan 2018 though  , good time to try out winter pack , so going for comfort rather than lots of other add ons 

• Thanks 1

Go petrol...250Nm of torque....similar to the diesel...I've had mine for 3yrs now....great..!!

Oh & worry about the Euro6 diesels as quite a few fail the new real world testing......

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/equaindex.emissionsanalytics.com/Aq/EQUA-AQ-Diesel-Euro-6-200617.pdf?X-Amz-Content-Sha256=UNSIGNED-PAYLOAD&X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIAJ4JGV47JVPVD2FTQ%2F20170915%2Fus-west-2%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20170915T202144Z&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&X-Amz-Expires=900&X-Amz-Signature=1be75d1abffb5247a7051e42ee151b33753030f808d10375822346a723aad233

at Least the Octavia DSG 2lt gets a "C" rating so pollutes in real life what the lab test states ..so passes

1.5 TSI - I had a go of an A3 with that engine and DSG last week and was very pleasantly surprised at how smooth, quiet, and how nippy it was! The DSG definitely helps as it'll always keep it in the power band, but it's also a great 'box.

I've just gone down the PHEV route for my new car, and don't think I'd go back to diesel at all now, even though my mileage would probably warrant it!