Skoda Connect Unreliable

I've been trying to use the skoda connect service with my Mk3 FL and found it to be very unreliable.

At first I thought it was the system not working well with my Android phone in Hotspot mode, so I tried a mobile 4G hotspot, which I had been using my laptop over for most of the day and found much the same.  I also tried once I got home and was in range of my home WIFI to connect via that, with the same result.  It seems strange, as I also have a Tiguan with its equivalent, which seems to work reliably with any internet connection I throw at it!

Its not that I'm interested in the news or weather as I drive, but that the traffic reports on it are much better than the TrafficMaster FM system.

What I see when I go to the menu and press skoda connect after its connection attempt is an error message saying "No Data Connection Available" See the attached images ( sorry for the finger prints and reflections, I did my best!)

I tried resetting the entertainment unit by pressing and holding the power button until the screen went blank.  One time it seemed to work, another time it didn't

Has anyone got suggestions, or should I chase up my dealer and see if they / Skoda UK have any bright ideas?

For reference, the System info is as follows

Device Part Number: 5Q0035874B

Hardware: H30

Software: 0361

Navigation database:

5L0051236P

ECE1 2017

IMAG0789.jpg

IMAG0790.jpg

FWIW, I've got similar issues where sometimes it will happily connect to my iPhone hotspot and download traffic etc, other times it will show its connected to the hotspot but without any data connection. 

Mine is hit and miss as well. Amundsen connects to my phone's hotspot, but it's just luck if connect works or not. Once I'm connected, I do get online traffic reports though, regardless of connect working or not.

• 2 weeks later...

How do you know if connect is working or not? I've just set me up for the first time, I've found the hotel we're driving to, and sent that to the nav unit successfully, so assume mine is working OK. I still can't sync phone numbers though and it's really irritating. 

I have exactly the same issue on my brand new FL Octavia with Amundsen.  "No data connection available" message even though it's connected to the phone Hotspot WLAN OK, and the same phone Hotspot works fine for other tethered devices (tablets etc.).  Annoying.  Glad to see I'm not alone.

On 30/09/2017 at 16:16, stever750 said:

How do you know if connect is working or not? I've just set me up for the first time, I've found the hotel we're driving to, and sent that to the nav unit successfully, so assume mine is working OK. I still can't sync phone numbers though and it's really irritating. 

On the Amundsen, to see if Connect is working (assuming you already connected the Amundsen to your phone hotspot under Menu-Settings-WLAN), select the Menu button, then the Skoda Connect touchscreen icon.  This the point that I get the "no data connection" message.  If instead all the Skoda Connect icons (like News, Weather, etc) appear, then its working OK.

There's a similar thread here: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/437282-bt-mobile-and-skoda-connect-problems/

On there Ianayr just posted: "I have spoken to Skoda in Sheffield and they are aware of this problem, factory is working on a solution."

• 1 month later...

I've been having issues connecting my Car to my Galaxy S6 on EE - I've enabled the WiFi hotspot and it just refused to connect - I've even tried changing it to a simple password to make sure that I get the password OK.

In the end to get the car registered I dangled a WiFi AP out of the office Window and paired the car to that - so I know that the WifI connection works - it just won't connect to my S6 in WiFi HotSpot mode.

I've got a WiFi Dongle - just waiting on the PayG Pre-Loaded 3 mobile sim for it.

I'd like to use the S6 as a Hotspot whilst waiting but I just can't get it to connect.

On 02/10/2017 at 17:03, sniffermark said:

There's a similar thread here: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/437282-bt-mobile-and-skoda-connect-problems/

On there Ianayr just posted: "I have spoken to Skoda in Sheffield and they are aware of this problem, factory is working on a solution."

That's like the council responding to a complaint about a hole appearing in the road. We're looking into it.

You never really get an answer to your queries with either of them.

• Like 1

It isn't a Connect issue in my case - the WiFi just doesn't connect to the WiFi Hot Spot - I can't get a WiFi connection - unless it tries to test it in some way - so I am getting a WiFi connection but it can't use it so it says it can't make the WiFi connection.

It is failing at the first stage actually connecting to the WiFi.

Just wondering if anyone else had seen it on an S6 on EE.

Unlike Gti Jazz Blue, my car will at least connect to my phone hotspot but I'm still having problems using Plusnet Mobile with an Amundsen in a MY17 Octavia.  Skoda Connect won't work except very occasionally - frustrating as it means the nav system won't pick up the current traffic status.  Oddly I tried enabling the Amudsen's wi-fi hotspot and connecting my wi-fi only tablet to it.  That works fine, accessing the internet even whilst Skoda Connect is telling me there is 'no data connection available', so the car must be connecting to my phone hotspot OK.  Very odd.  I hope they fix it soon.  Cant see many folks paying for Skoda Connect until they do.

I'm having problems with Skoda Connect too, but actually trying to register it in the first place.  I've got so far as entering my car's VIN into the website and it generating a code, but whenever I try and enter this into my car it says no data connection available! 

Data connection is definitely there (tried connecting to my home WiFI and hotspot on my phone). 

Edited by Gumby

On 02/10/2017 at 16:20, sniffermark said:

On the Amundsen, to see if Connect is working (assuming you already connected the Amundsen to your phone hotspot under Menu-Settings-WLAN), select the Menu button, then the Skoda Connect touchscreen icon.  This the point that I get the "no data connection" message.  If instead all the Skoda Connect icons (like News, Weather, etc) appear, then its working OK.

In which case mine works fine every time. I'm undecided if this open connected info system is better than a closed type that relies on installing updated data. At least all of the poi are present and not reliant on a data connection. It's a difficult system to use, my phone app CoPilot is so much easier, search for a poi either nearby, on the route, at the destination or in another city. I've not found a way of doing this with the amundsen unit. 

Just a note on the no data connection for Skoda Connect. Skoda Rochdale, performed a factory reset on my Amundsen then asked me to delete my connect account. Wait 24 hrs then carry out the registration process again. This has worked every time on my car to get Skoda Connect working again ! But as you can imagine this is like getting a new phone every time and having to re enter your settings. Had my VRS 3 months this is now the 4th reset. First reset lasted 2 days before the no data connection message, 2nd reset lasted 3 weeks, 3rd reset has been the best to date nearly 8 weeks. This is now the 4th time I am having to do this so I hope this info helps.    

It does seem a tad unreliable.

I take it for the Lights Flash function to work from the App - say if you want to find your car in a carpark - the car either requires the Columbus with a Data Sim installed - or a standalone WiFi hotspot powered in the car all the time?

Gti Jazz Blue, I must have the lowest connect package  ( News, Route Import, My POIs ) I think you are right on the Columbus unit.  I use a stand a lone dongle always on in the car. Thankfully this service is free for the first year. Won't be renewing it unless they sort out this unreliable data connection. Proper fed up re entering settings and deleting accounts etc. :( 

• Sad 1

Hi Jannol,

Yes I had mine in the boot at first but decided it would be better under the drivers seat, plugged into an adapter and the cigarette lighter which has a switch and allows me to turn it off when not using the car for a while ( just in case it flattens the battery ) works well for me in both positions good signal etc. you could plug straight into the USB I think although I'm not sure if this is powered with the ignition off. The cigarette adapters are.

IMG_20171117_101751[2].jpg

2 hours ago, andyvrs230 said:

Hi Jannol,

Yes I had mine in the boot at first but decided it would be better under the drivers seat, plugged into an adapter and the cigarette lighter which has a switch and allows me to turn it off when not using the car for a while ( just in case it flattens the battery ) works well for me in both positions good signal etc. you could plug straight into the USB I think although I'm not sure if this is powered with the ignition off. The cigarette adapters are.

IMG_20171117_101751[2].jpg

That does look a good setup. What is it you're using?

Te-Rich 3-Socket Cigarette Lighter 6.8A 4 Port USB Car Charger Power Adapter DC Outlet Splitter for iPhone iPad, Android Samsung, GPS, Dashcam available from Amazon for about £ 12.00 I have got my wifi dongle, dash cam and phone charger lead plugged in. Seat is pulled right back for picture when in driving position none of it can be seen apart from the switched plug in the cigarette lighter socket. ( Depends how long your legs are by the way ) 

IMG_20171117_130343[1].jpg

• Like 1

On 17/11/2017 at 10:01, Janno1 said:

Can a dongle be connected to the car permanently in the glove box then?

Liked the idea of always being able to see cars location if ever the unfortunate should ever happen and be stolen.

Pretty sure that this is only a function of Skoda Connect with Columbus and built in SIM card. The Amundsen, once the car is turned off, doesn't maintain a wifi connection as far as I can tell (for instance, when it is parked at home), so no ability to remotely flash lights or track location.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2017 at 08:59, andyvrs230 said:

Not quite described this right ! carry out a factory reset from the cars menu not a reset of the Amundsen unit ( pushing and holding the left power button for 10 secs. ) Delete your online connect account first.

I tried andyvrs230's suggestion, and it seeems to work better.  It's still flaky, and regularly gives the dreaded 'no data connection available' message, but at least it connects sometimes - occasionally the WLAN icon appears next to the Globe icon at the top of the screen and the live traffic symbols appear on the nav system.  I even discovered the rain radar page in the Connect weather app - nice. The steps I took were:

1. Log into the portal https://skoda-connect.com/portal

- Select User Profile (top right)

- Select Garage

- Note the VIN of your current vehicle

- Delete your current vehicle

- Wait until you get an email confirming deletion (a few minutes)

- Add your current vehicle back again (using the VIN you noted)

- Note the PIN generated

2. In your car (I have an Amundsen unit), whilst connected to the internet (under WLAN in your Settings) - phone hotspot in my case

- Press the Menu button

- Select Settings

- Select Factory Settings

- Select Skoda Connect

- Reset Skoda Connect settings

- Press the Menu button

- Select Skoda Connect

- Enter the PIN you noted

Hopefully that will get you going again.  For me, it didn't accept the PIN right away because it still had no data connection on my Plusnet mobile (doh!), so I tried a phone with a different provider (Vodafone) which did work.  Now my Plusnet mobile will work sometimes, which it didn't before.  Good luck to others.

Edited by sniffermark
  • Like 1