BT Mobile and Skoda Connect problems

I have new Octavia with Amudsan kit.

my iphone with BT sim gives me message in car no data connection, using my sons iphone with O2 sim works perfectly.

I suspected parent restriction problem but BT say all restrictions are off.

any ideas or thoughts appreciated, I still have time on my BT contract so changing to O2 is not really possible at this time

Edited by Ianayr

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/08/2017 at 15:07, Ianayr said:

Yes, I have an iPad with no sim and use personal hotspot to access the internet.

the car connects to the phone but fails to get a data connection

Having a similar issue with a BT mobile and Amundsen. Car sees and connects to the phones WLAN, but says there is no data connection. Did you manage to get a fix for this?

Got a get around, first of all using my Sons O2 sim everything works as it should. Discussions and tests using my home wifi with car in the drive indicate the problem is connected to BT parental controls which can be deleted on land line but on mobile can only be turned off. Turned off still causes a problem with land line.

the get around:-

get into car and turn ignition on.

turn connection share on phone off.

in car navigate to settings wifi there will be a dash in the box.

turn sharing on on phone.

car will see phone, select it.

now on phone navigate to skoda connect, if you need to download get from App Store.

put in a destination on phone or click history and select any previous destination.

touch destination three dots at right and select send.

phone will now send destination to car.

in car use panel select nav and enter true destination.

after a few minutes car display will say one destination imported,

touch accept.

Skoda connect will now be working ang nav will update with roadworks.

please nag BT the more who complain the better chance of a fix.

8 hours ago, Ianayr said:

Got a get around, first of all using my Sons O2 sim everything works as it should. Discussions and tests using my home wifi with car in the drive indicate the problem is connected to BT parental controls which can be deleted on land line but on mobile can only be turned off. Turned off still causes a problem with land line.

the get around:-

get into car and turn ignition on.

turn connection share on phone off.

in car navigate to settings wifi there will be a dash in the box.

turn sharing on on phone.

car will see phone, select it.

now on phone navigate to skoda connect, if you need to download get from App Store.

put in a destination on phone or click history and select any previous destination.

touch destination three dots at right and select send.

phone will now send destination to car.

in car use panel select nav and enter true destination.

after a few minutes car display will say one destination imported,

touch accept.

Skoda connect will now be working ang nav will update with roadworks.

please nag BT the more who complain the better chance of a fix.

I had a bit more of a read about it yesterday and got a fix as well (working for now anyway!). It's to do with the Access Point Name (APN) settings of the phone. I'm on android so the process is a bit different, but if I take my sim out and put it back in, it asks me to choose the carrier (EE and BT on same network). If I pick EE instead of BT it works without a problem. Try that with the iPhone and see if it works.

Have a look at this on the BT site and see if it helps you as well: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/51799/~/how-do-i-manually-set-up-my-mobile-phone-for-mms%3F

Let me know if you need any help.

• 3 weeks later...

Other folks are having the same issue: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/438657-skoda-connect-unreliable/

I have the exactly the same issue on Plusnet mobile - phone hotspot tethering works fine with other devices (e.g. Samsung tablet) but not with the Amundsen in my new FL Octavia.

Edited by sniffermark

I have spoken to Skoda in Sheffield and they are aware of this problem, factory is working on a solution.

I am also trying various get arrounds none have worked so far but I am waiting on a 3G mobile modem arriving which might work

27 minutes ago, Ianayr said:

I have spoken to Skoda in Sheffield and they are aware of this problem, factory is working on a solution.

Did they say whether the problem they are aware of is specific to BT Mobile, or might it be affecting my Plusnet mobile too?

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

Yes O2 works fine, my Son is on O2. my BT contract finishes at the end of December and I will be moving to O2, Bluetooth does not work for data for reasons I do not understand.

If I may ask, what is your Amundsen unit doing with a data connection?

I have a small portable router, which I use for all my devices. Amundsen also connects successfully, but I see no use. I only see wifi symbol on top, same as you get on mobile/tablet devices.

Both my samsung galaxy note 4 sometimes refuse to let me answer a call and just ring out, on the bolero,just wondered if there should be an update to stop this happening

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still having problems using Plusnet Mobile with an Amundsen in a MY17 Octavia.  Skoda Connect won't work except very occasionally - frustrating as it means the nav system won't pick up the current traffic status.  Oddly I tried enabling the Amudsen's wi-fi hotspot and connecting my wi-fi only tablet to it.  That works fine, even whilst Skoda Connect is telling me there is 'no data connection available', so the car must be connecting to my phone hotspot OK.  Very odd.  I hope they fix it soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any success? I’m on EE car says no data connection. I tried a 3 sim and it worked without a problem. I even got a second EE 4Gee sim only for the same problem to occur. Skoda customer services have told me the Head unit needs a software update but unfortunately the dealer doesn’t know which update. 

3 minutes ago, Jonnye said:

Anyone have any success? I’m on EE car says no data connection. I tried a 3 sim and it worked without a problem. I even got a second EE 4Gee sim only for the same problem to occur. Skoda customer services have told me the Head unit needs a software update but unfortunately the dealer doesn’t know which update. 

yes, what I did, i deleted my account in the skoda. turned the system off for 10 seconds (restart) and entered my code again. After this it worked, and it works now for a week already!

did not any change to my network provider or phone settings. So for me the problem seems to be at Skoda servers that has problem authorising the right connections.

I have run extensive tests with multiple sim cards and many conversations with Skoda support.

My conclusion is that the problem is with carriers not Skoda.

Specifically parking in my drive and using my home BT wifi Skoda connect will only work if parental controls deleted.

Turning the control off which is all you can do in BT Mobile does not enable Skoda connect, so using BT mobile does not easily work although you can get it to work with the following work arround.

in car go to wifi, your phone will show greyed out.

on phone switch teathering off and back on, press find in car and phone appears, press it and get ti+k.

now go to phone app, Skoda connect, journeys, pick any, resend data to car, in car switch to nav.

after a few minutes a message will appear saying data received.

Skoda connect is now working.

Using O2 sims, they connect without any problem or get arround, others sort of work.

I am switching to o2.

if you live in Scotland you have a further problem, Global Radio which carries the VW group RDS-TMC data to the nav unit only transmit in the central belt, the remainder of the country’s commercial radio is transmitted by Braur radio a German Company.

Inrix and Global both transmit this data but VW group cars can not access the Inrix data.

we paid for this service in the purchase price of our cars but it is not being delivered in large areas of Scotland.

This is an open ticket with both Skoda support and my MP who is a member of the Science and Technology committee.

• Like 1

I'm on Plusnet mobile, which uses the EE network (as does BT Mobile ... is this only a problem on the EE network???) and have the same issues.  However, I tried a suggestion from a similar thread which has improved things for me a little.  It's still flaky, and regularly gives the dreaded 'no data connection available' message, but at least it connects sometimes - occasionally the WLAN icon appears next to the Globe icon at the top of the screen and the live traffic symbols appear on the nav system.  I even discovered the rain radar page in the Connect weather app - nice. The steps I took were:

1. Log into the portal https://skoda-connect.com/portal

- Select User Profile (top right)

- Select Garage

- Note the VIN of your current vehicle

- Delete your current vehicle

- Wait until you get an email confirming deletion (a few minutes)

- Add your current vehicle back again (using the VIN you noted)

- Note the PIN generated

2. In your car (I have an Amundsen unit), whilst connected to the internet (under WLAN in your Settings) - phone hotspot in my case

- Press the Menu button

- Select Settings

- Select Factory Settings

- Select Skoda Connect

- Reset Skoda Connect settings

- Press the Menu button

- Select Skoda Connect

- Enter the PIN you noted

Hopefully that will get you going again.  For me, it didn't accept the PIN right away because it still had no data connection on my Plusnet mobile (doh!), so I tried a phone with a different provider (Vodafone) which did work.  Now my Plusnet mobile will work sometimes, which it didn't before.  Good luck to others.

Edited by sniffermark

34 minutes ago, sniffermark said:

I'm on Plusnet mobile, which uses the EE network (as does BT Mobile ... is this only a problem on the EE network???) and have the same issues.  However, I tried a suggestion from a similar thread which has improved things for me a little.  It's still flaky, and regularly gives the dreaded 'no data connection available' message, but at least it connects sometimes - occasionally the WLAN icon appears next to the Globe icon at the top of the screen and the live traffic symbols appear on the nav system.  I even discovered the rain radar page in the Connect weather app - nice. The steps I took were:

1. Log into the portal https://skoda-connect.com/portal

- Select User Profile (top right)

- Select Garage

- Note the VIN of your current vehicle

- Delete your current vehicle

- Wait until you get an email confirming deletion (a few minutes)

- Add your current vehicle back again (using the VIN you noted)

- Note the PIN generated

2. In your car (I have an Amundsen unit), whilst connected to the internet (under WLAN in your Settings) - phone hotspot in my case

- Press the Menu button

- Select Settings

- Select Factory Settings

- Select Skoda Connect

- Reset Skoda Connect settings

- Press the Menu button

- Select Skoda Connect

- Enter the PIN you noted

Hopefully that will get you going again.  For me, it didn't accept the PIN right away because it still had no data connection on my Plusnet mobile (doh!), so I tried a phone with a different provider (Vodafone) which did work.  Now my Plusnet mobile will work sometimes, which it didn't before.  Good luck to others.

I'm on 3 mobile

When I picked up my new Octavia the dealership informed me that the skoda connect servers were having issues and I might not be able to connect to it straight away it took several hours before I could log in. 

• 1 month later...

Just heard from SKODA regarding the issue with EE and Skoda connect. They’ve acknowledged there’s a problem but need to work together with EE to resolve it. As a gesture of good will they’ve given me a free service and will update me when the issue eventually gets resolved. All in all despite the issue I’ve been impressed with how SKODA and the local dealership have handled it. I’ve had weekly updates throughout and have never felt as if they were trying to not help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1