Android Auto on 9.2" Columbus

simhub

I've just taken delivery of my new car and tried Android Auto for the first time.  It works perfectly, but the interface seems fuzzy (as if it's being sent in a lower resolution then scaled up).  Is anyone else seeing the same thing?

I found Android Auto to be okay on the older Columbus 8" screen but will try this with 720p when I get my S3 with the newer 9.2" screen in a few weeks. Thank you.

Just tried enabling the hidden developer menu on my Samsung Galaxy S6 and it worked just as you said.

4 hours ago, peter_k said:

Android auto by default sends video at 800x480 - Presume the "9.2" screen resolution is higher

You can change the output to 1280 x 720  - I use this on the 2016 Columbus 

I think this is what I did

With the phone disconnected run android auto. Top left should be a three bar menu icon > tap to open > tap on "About".  Now tap the "title bar" many times  - 7 to 12? as you hit the right number of taps you will get a message saying you are a developer and a "3 dot" menu icon should appear top right.  Open the menu and you should have a developer menu item. Open that and there is a "Allow 720p video output" switch 

Thanks for this tip - I switched my AA to 720p and it looks nicer now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Thanks @peter_k, I've noticed there's a 1080p option too. Just ticketed the boxes, so should do the trick. The built in nav is a bit rubbish, so having Google Maps as back up is essential. Cheers. 

48 minutes ago, TomW80 said:

@peter_k do you know how to keep it HD? When I come out of the app it resets. 

I believe this is a recent bug reported at the end of March.  Copied from https://support.google.com/androidauto/forum/AAAA6SY52nIju86cOXGtUI/?hl=en

Scott Papak
Is there a way to lock 720P?  Every time i exit out it goes back to the default resolution.
Emil Borconi Szedressy
3/29/18
Expert - Top Contributor
Emil Borconi Szedressy
Got broken with AA 3.1.5, if you want it to stick revert to 3.0
Lawrence - Android Auto team
3/29/18
Expert - Google Employee
Lawrence - Android Auto team
Hi Scott, this is a bug that was introduced in 3.1.5 - we're planning on fixing it in our next build so that it goes back to being sticky. Given that it's under "developer options" it's not fully tested yet and may have occasional issues. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

I was looking for another thread relating to the quality of the sat nav built in to the Columbus 9.2 but no one else appears to have brought up the fact that it's not very good, especially compared to Google Maps, or even Waze which I'm not the biggest fan of. I'm guessing others share this view or they wouldn't be too fussed about hooking up Android Auto. 

I'd rather use the built-in nav, as it looks nice graphically and music over Bluetooth sounds better than through the cable, but the nav's biggest issues are both traffic related (and it doesn't have speed cameras - I appreciate they can be added though). 

Issue 1 - the route finder doesn't factor in traffic, so the driver is blindly forced to accept the green, red or orange route and is unable to make an informed decision. If then for example red is chosen the provisional time given for the journey increases straight away if there's traffic on the route. Google maps does everything in real time and is accurate on the provisional time for each suggested route. 

Issue 2 - even when the traffic kicks in it's not accurate or comprehensive enough, specifically in around town driving. There's been a couple of times it's led me in to traffic jams, which after switching to Google Maps I got straight out of. 

So my options are:

- Iffy Columbus sat nav with crisp graphics and great Bluetooth sound quality 

- Google Maps, with great nav, but no cameras iffy graphics and sound 

- Waze Maps with occasionally iffy route finding, with iffy graphics and sound 

NB: The Tom Tom mobile app is great for cameras, but I begrudge the second screen. 

If there's anything I've missed with the Columbus, like a setting please let me know. I've got dynamic mode switched on BTW. 

At the moment I'm using the Columbus for day to day driving, but Google Maps with my commute, to avoid traffic, but there's compromises with each. It's quite frustrating really. 

If you connect the Columbus to a hotspot on your phone it also downloads TomTom traffic data from the Internet. Otherwise it just uses the traffic data picked up over the radio.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rtj70 said:

If you connect the Columbus to a hotspot on your phone it also downloads TomTom traffic data from the Internet. Otherwise it just uses the traffic data picked up over the radio.

Thanks. Funnily enough I was just in terms of use and noticed they use Tom Tom, although when using the hotspot on my phone I didn't notice a difference between data and radio. I'll give that another bash. It would still be useful if it factored in traffic to the router finder. Shame! 

Petrol and parking features are decent, on the plus side. 

1524417176041237076617399279512.jpg

8 hours ago, john999boy said:

@TomW80 if you have the inbuilt SIM facility then the traffic conditions can be in 'real time' just like Google Maps.:thumbup:

Obviously if you insert a SIM.

Thanks. Same response as to rtj70 really :)

If your phone supports  the Bluetooth remote SIM (rSIM) profile you don't even need to insert a card.

Also in response to:

It would still be useful if it factored in traffic to the router finder. Shame! 

It does.

1 hour ago, rtj70 said:

If your phone supports  the Bluetooth remote SIM (rSIM) profile you don't even need to insert a card.

Also in response to:

It does.

I do use my phone's hotspot for the online services, so that works fine. I've not noticed a difference in the traffic info I receive through it though. I'll test it again. 

My Columbus definitely does not factor in traffic when calculating the route. It'll give me three options, but whichever I chose the time bumps up once it's selected if there's known traffic on the route. Perhaps it'll right itself on the next software update. 

The best way I can describe a decent sat nav is by whether I trust it or not and at the minute the one I trust most isn't my built-in, expensive, albeit standard, one. 

If you have a route planned and go to Traffic it will list only the traffic info on your route. If it's via the DAB radio then there won't be much and it will tell you the source. If it's online it will indicate this - can't remember but it might be a globe symbol - and there will be more traffic. Unless of course there isn't any on this route.

With no route planned, there's a lot more traffic updates.

1 hour ago, rtj70 said:

If you have a route planned and go to Traffic it will list only the traffic info on your route. If it's via the DAB radio then there won't be much and it will tell you the source. If it's online it will indicate this - can't remember but it might be a globe symbol - and there will be more traffic. Unless of course there isn't any on this route.

With no route planned, there's a lot more traffic updates.

In traffic I can toggle between on route and all, but unlike Google Maps this info isn't factored in to the route or time when planning the route, even when the red globe is white due to data connection. If other's devices are doing it properly, then mine's duff. Hopefully the next software update will sort it out. 

Edited by TomW80

Hi All,

The issue with 720p and 1080p toggling off with each log out of Android Auto appears to be fixed with the most recent update. 

After trying 3 'premium' type c usb cables with my phone vs Bluetooth this last cable seems to be doing a decent job. The volume is automatically lower with the cable, but once fettled a bit with bass, treble etc it sounds really good. It's a Syncwire one. I chose one with a rubberised cable over the nylon woven one, as I think the nylon could scratch the plastics over time. 

As I now have permanent HD Google Maps (or Waze) and decent sound through a cable Android Auto will be my default options. I'm still not convinced by the built-in sat nav at all, even with a data connection. Sends me in to traffic jams and goose chases. 

Thanks to all those who've inputted :)

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Regarding the  scaled up resolution, I have the 8" bolero, and Google maps looks perfect map and text, Waze also look ok, but the text (building names in particular, and some streent names) are looking blurry like a incorrect scale.

Does anyone experience this? I am using it with a Galaxy S5. Is it the unit, the phone, the map? Any ideas?  

720p is the only one I have ticked and was the only option that seemed to improve things for me. I doubt the screen is full HD and the only related info I can find is a limit of 720x576 for video playback so maybe it can’t even do standard HD/1280x720/720p and it’s some sort of internal scaling that sharpens up the image?