Cleaning Inside of Windscreen?

Golf-Fiend

Getting fed up with the inside being a smear-fest at this time of year when the sun is low and I can't see a damned thing!

I seem to have a constant oily film on the inside. I've tried the following:

Fairy Liquid and old Newspaper ( I think modern coloured inks have oils in them so don't work so well any more)

Meths - > Autoglym Engine Degreaser - > Domestic Spray Window cleaner - > Buffed with kitchen towel when dry

Lasts for a few days then back to smeary oblivion

Any suggestions on good products to try that actually work? Not keen on spending ££'s on stuff that barely works but won't mind spending ££'s on stuff that actually does what it says in a Ronseal way.

Many thanks

I think you'll find the problem with Fairy Liquid is it contains a surfactant.  A surfactant is a substance that sticks to the surface of your plates and cups after you have washed them, to make them look clean and shiny.  I'm sure you'll find this surfactant largely responsible for the smeary oblivion on your windscreen.

I use a solution of 3/4 pint water + 1/4 pint white vinegar, to which I add 1 teaspoon of Ecover washing up liquid.

I use an old spray bottle to apply the solution, then clean & buff with microfibre cloths.  Try it :thumbup:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CWARD said:

I use IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol not India Pale Ale) to clean the inside of the windows. I use one of these from Halfords to get right into the edges but with a microfibre cloth instead of the pad. 

you know what this sounds like a great idea! never thought of a long reach pad type thing I always end up contorting myself into a pretzel trying to get everything

might even have a ipa to celebrate -- off to Halfords!

• Haha 1

Once clean, this type of thing may stop the oils lifting off the dash and onto the screen

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Dashmat-for-SKODA-Superb-B6-6-2008-on-Dash-Mat-DM1245-/181850037191?hash=item2a571b5bc7:g:LgsAAOSw2gxYwLzN

• Thanks 1

+1 Autoglym glass polish both inside and out. Then, for winter I tend to use rain x repellent exterior and rain x anti fog for the inside of the glass.

The cleaning pad @CWARD links to looks quite good as it is hard to reach extremities and apply pressure from inside.

Lots of replies to dealing with the problems.

So the cause of the problem is the A/C / Demisting,  does the AC need servicing, pollen filter need replacing.

The thing is it still happens even with brand new cars.

Just now, Headinawayoffski said:

Lots of replies to dealing with the problems.

So the cause of the problem is the A/C / Demisting,  does the AC need servicing, pollen filter need replacing.

The thing is it still happens even with brand new cars.

I heard it was the oils used in the plastic dash. They get extremely hot in sunlight and get released all over the windscreen, hence my solution to put a cover on the dash. Some cars are worse than others Skoda are not the worst - Toyota is terrible for it

I hate this time of year, getting blinded.

^^^ I have heard that as well, and about prep teams materials that are used.

Odd thing is you can have or used to have models some with A/C and some without, and it happened on those with the A/C and not on those without.

1 minute ago, Headinawayoffski said:

^^^ I have heard that as well, and about prep teams materials that are used.

Odd thing is you can have or used to have models some with A/C and some without, and it happened on those with the A/C and not on those without.

I am going to check this out as I have 2 nearly identical cars, but one has the heated front window. I will use that instead of demist and we will see if it helps. Mind you, it wont be getting all that hot now, so if it gets bad in either it wont be the oils anyway.

If you have owned them both for a while have you not already noticed if the one without the A/C does not get a messy inside screen like the one with A/C does?

3 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

If you have owned them both for a while have you not already noticed if the one without the A/C does not get a messy inside screen like the one with A/C does?

They both have aircon but only one has the front heated window (and I only just found out about that lol). I will test without using A?C on one of them

I suspect that residue from the the liquid air fresheners that you clip into the vents are a contributing factor.

Several passes with Nilglas cleaner and Regina Blitz paper towel shifted it eventually. Might try IPA next time.

I don't use air fresheners. Nor any protectant on the dash at the present time. And a smokey residue definitely forms after about 3 or 4 months. Suspect other comments about dash plastics may play a part.  As well as cabin air circulation leading to grime clinging to glass....

I think that after 13 years any oils would have long left the building dash! It can't be that. Plus it aint that hot mum. Aircon was recently serviced and I replace pollen filter every year with Carbon Mann filter. Don't smoke in car or use air fresheners.

Maybe I have very oily breath? Going to try IPA next then vinegar then xylene thinners as a last resort!

4 minutes ago, Golf-Fiend said:

Going to try IPA next then vinegar then xylene thinners as a last resort!

You drink that lot and you won't care about the windows

• Haha 3

And I thought I was the only one with this problem!

Tried most of the leading brand cleaners though never got round to using Autoglym.. yet!

However I found this in Tesco:

IDShot_540x540.jpg

We use this brand for the other sprays around the kitchen so I thought I would give it a go, more so as it was on special offer and so far so good.

Bit of elbow grease with the microfiber cloth to get through streaks and so far holding up very well.

I used to have problems with a smeary screen and I managed to get rid of it after I received the following advice

1. Get a dedicated glass cleaning cloth e.g. a fishscale type microfibre. These have more bite than a traditional microfiber and don't leave any fibres behind. I used to use kitchen towel until it was explained the often have chemicals to aid absorbtion which can smear on glass.

2. Use a  glass polish in the first instance e.g Autoglym glass Polish to get rid of whatever is on your screen. These generally have a better cleaning ability than a glass cleaner. Subsequent cleaning can then be done with a normal glass cleaner.

3. When removing the residue only wipe in one direction. If you go backwards and forwards there is the risk  of pushing the dirt around back over the area you have just cleaned.

This works for me and there's nothing too expensive to buy. You may also,want to have a look at this 

On the question of why the inside of the windscreen gets a greasy film, I find it is a problem only after I have done long motorway journeys. The grease is then especially hard to remove.

Must be all those diesel vehicles.......

I use either Autoglym Fast Glass or Vinegar and a clean lint free low gsm glass cloth 

I also used to great effect Solution 30 glasses cleaner.... 

IPA will also do the job.. That or panel wipe