Tyre Pressure Gauge.

Can anyone recommend a good tyre pressure gauge. I'm after a good one as most of the cheapo one arn't very accurate.

I checked the tyre pressures on my 230 at my local tyre place, set them all to 2.7 Bar (39 psi).  I then used another gauge from the same place and the tyres were showing the correct pressure. I then used my own gauge and the pressures were showing 2.5 bar ( 36 psi ). looks like my gauge is out. Looks like I need a replacement 

Any suggestions please

Thanks

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

I have a little digital one from halfords. I think I did actually do a little bit of research and it was well regarded. Only a tenner as I recall. Has a tyre gauge as well.

[Clicking click] typically it's not there anymore.

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 1

I bought one of these because the gauge on my footpump was clearly pants:

https://www.workshopping.co.uk/product/draper-tyre-pressure-gauge-with-flexible-hose/69924/

Think it was recommended by someone else on here.   It reads the same as the (allegedly calibrated) gauge at local petrol station;    I doubt that anything at this price point is 100% accurate but it appears to be there or thereabouts.

44 minutes ago, LHVRS said:

5 minutes ago, S00perb said:

You can't go wrong with a calibrated bit of machanical kit. I am buying this right now!

I've also Ordered one, thanks Guys 

Ta!!!

4 hours ago, Aspman said:

I have a little digital one from halfords. I think I did actually do a little bit of research and it was well regarded. Only a tenner as I recall. Has a tyre gauge as well.

[Clicking click] typically it's not there anymore.

Me to. It's fine. My missus also has the Halfords plug in pump with digital set-up. The two have cross checked pretty accurately.

Me- I use the gauge I got possibly with my first car ,when I was about 20. And that's 50 year ago. It's ye olde fashioned bit of chrome plated tube, with a valve adapter on the end.

• Like 1

I'm also one that's rebelled against the fuel places 20p for 3 minutes/ 50 p for a pump up, and bought my own pump. Gauge is not really accurate, but I know that when it says twice pressure, then it's time to check tyre pressure. However, for those that like to check on a fuel place, I've found Sainsbury do not charge.

I've found that none of the garages / filling stations that I use charge, provided that you buy at least £5 worth of fuel.

As I fill my tank every week I automatically check the tyre pressures at the same time.

At least the inflators are supposed to be regularly inspected and certified, which is more than happens to some £5 Chinese gauge from Halfords.

Edited by BJM
Correct spillong

2 hours ago, BJM said:

I've found that none of the garages / filling stations that I use charge, provided that you buy at least £5 worth of fuel.

As I fill my tank every week I automatically check the tyre pressures at the same time.

At least the inflators are supposed to be regularly inspected and certified, which is more than happens to some £5 Chinese gauge from Halfords.

Apart from the issue with checking them at the petrol station is that your tyres are no longer cold...

So you have to guess the pressures - since the book figures are for cold tyres.

• Like 2

On 07/10/2017 at 10:21, Auric Goldfinger said:

Can anyone recommend a good tyre pressure gauge. I'm after a good one as most of the cheapo one arn't very accurate.

I checked the tyre pressures on my 230 at my local tyre place, set them all to 2.7 Bar (39 psi).  I then used another gauge from the same place and the tyres were showing the correct pressure. I then used my own gauge and the pressures were showing 2.5 bar ( 36 psi ). looks like my gauge is out. Looks like I need a replacement 

Any suggestions please

Thanks

2 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

My post above could explain the OP's problem too.

39psi at the Petrol station, 36psi at home later when cold.

Might just have wasted money on that new gauge, @Auric Goldfinger

I used 2 different tyre gauges at the tyre place and both read 39 Psi.  I then checked with my own gauge at the tyre place ( car never moved ) and it was  showing 35 Psi.

If the tyres had dropped 4 Psi in less than 30 seconds I'd need new wheels or tyres.  

Checked them today, cars never moved all day still showing 39Psi,    Money well spent me thinks    ;)

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

Slow tyre deflation of all 4 tyres from the pressure they are set at might not and often does not trigger the TPMS, 

and people can have visibly low pressures & unsafe and no TPMS triggered. 

Many never check unless there is a warning, and maybe only at services might the pressures be checked and the TPMS.

42 minutes ago, camelspyyder said:

3 times.

Wow. That's severe OCD.

I cant be arsed checking the tyres once unless TPMS tells me to. :)

...just like me the Ibiza has a leaky valve.

Now I've retired I've got to fill my days doing something.........

I have 2 vintage Pencil gauges :)

The Draper is a 31K which I have had for years and it has a lovely smooth action on the  moving calibrated gauge stem.A friend of mine bought what was supposed to be the modern version of this gauge and the stem was quite rough and 'ratchety' in its action - I told him to chuck it immediately LOL.

The PCL gauge I have also had for donkeys years,I believe it was packaged as a 'Panther Products' gauge LOL,it is engraved 'made in england by Pneumatic Components Limited,Sheffield' - like the Draper it has a lovely smooth action on the gauge stem.

I keep them clean and in good condition,whilst checking the tyre pressures I always gently restrain the stem so it cannot 'overshoot' (overread),the 2 gauges usually read within 1 psi of each other.

As I alluded to above - some of the modern pencil gauges do not seem very well made but I am more than happy with my 2 vintage ones :) 

HB7sgAf.jpg

Edited by YS53

YS53- my gauge ( as said) was one I bought in my youth , circa 50 years ago, when garage air was free, but garage gages were inherently inaccurate.

AG- I didn't know train drivers bothered about wheels, I thought they left that to C & W Examiners. :biggrin: