Poor fuel economy 2017 1.2 TSi DSG

greenstripe

On 19/07/2018 at 22:57, Ryeman said:

I’m a hypermiler type.

My BMW/PSA engined 1.6 turbo C4 Picasso (5 seat) 6 Spd auto is a big vehicle......(similar to the Yeti in intelligent use of minimal road space) but quite light for its size.

Over the last 15,000 kms the average consumption has come down and stabilised at 5.2/100 .....around 55 mpg ....and using ‘crap’ E10/95 fuel.......it’s phenomenal !......it simply shouldn’t be this good.

The similar 1.4 turbo 6A Astra is significantly smaller in frontal area, a bit lighter but won’t equal the Picasso.....odd!

Our smaller old 308 1.2 turbo 6A using PULP95 was barely any better than the Picasso.

They all cruise around at 90 kph.

I see the small turbo petrol as simply a quiet diesel......love it!

Small turbo, a 1.6?  Small turbo's are 1.0 these days -  and horrendous little torque free things they are!

Hypermiling is freewheeling yes? Is that legal here?

Edited by camelspyyder

27 minutes ago, camelspyyder said:

Small turbo, a 1.6?  Small turbo's are 1.0 these days -  and horrendous little torque free things they are!

Hypermiling is freewheeling yes? Is that legal here?

Ah, out here a 1.6 is a wee thing and a 1.0 isn’t regarded at all but we’ve read about its (Ford’s) award wins.

A turbo without significant low rev torque is quite an achievement in my experience.

I wouldn’t waste my time with freewheeling......too much of a faff for me.

Edited by Ryeman

'Freewheeling' can come as part of the package with a DSG with Coasting Function as found now on the latest models with DSG's.

Foot off accelerator and the gear indicator shows 'D' and not D6 or D7 or whatever.

Gears disengaged, not illegal the cars are EU Type Approved, they will be WLTP approved, and with the 1.5 TSI EVO and DSG the engine can shut down not just shut down 2 cylinders.

Some might just stay with a 1.0TSI as they did when there was the 1.2 TSI not wanting bigger 150ps engines.

Nice to have choices.

Edited by Offski

On 12/10/2017 at 09:52, Expatman said:

I've got a 1.2 DSG SEL, new in March. Over 6,000 miles it has averaged 44.1 MPG. Worst being 38.5 - high speed motorway drive in appalling weather into gale force headwind. I do find that Shell or BP high grade petrol improves MPG by 2-3 MPG but usually use Sainsbury's Super.

If you are getting less than 35 MPG then either something is wrong or you've got a very heavy right foot. My driving is mix of urban, rural and motorway and I drive briskly in line with traffic conditions.

How does the additional mpg of the super unleased rank against supermarket fuel cost wise. I would have thought they would cancel each other out.

Sainsburys 97 ron costs 5 pence a litre more than their 95 ron, and Tesco Momentum 99 ron 5 pence more than their 95 ron, 

so maybe £2.50 or so more a tank fill up, and maybe less than BP, Shell, Texaco, ESSO 95 ron for the same amount of litres.

If you were to get 25 miles a tank improvement it has covered the extra cost, or maybe you just have a smoother running car or less polluting.

Easy enough to try and see for a cost of an extra £2.50

http://volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/owners/Fuel 

3 hours ago, Beachy said:

How does the additional mpg of the super unleased rank against supermarket fuel cost wise. I would have thought they would cancel each other out.

Probably evens out but as "offski" says the smoother running engine and seemingly higher torque at lower revs does improve the driving experience. Also 'super' petrols contain more/better detergents that in the long run should help engine life. 

Best fuel I think is Shell top grade and that definitely results in better mileage but Shell garage too far away to use regularly so I use Sainsbury's 'best'.

42 minutes ago, camelspyyder said:

I got 6% more miles with Shell nitro+ but at 9% more cost.

But the 3% difference will pay for itself in the long term in terms of reliability and a better driving experience. 

It's just a personal choice really.

Or the extra 5-10 pence a litre over other super unleaded including 99 rons pays extra dividends to those with shares in Royal Dutch Shell,   co-owners of Importation and storage facilities with Greenergy that produces Tesco Momentum 99, 

maybe Costco 99 Super Unleaded and ESSO Super Unleaded 97 ron.

(Is the detergent package in Shell V-Power Nitro + better than in Tesco Momentum 99, and do you want the detergents or just the ethanol?)

http://greenergy.com/uk/independent 

28 minutes ago, Expatman said:

But the 3% difference will pay for itself in the long term in terms of reliability and a better driving experience. 

It's just a personal choice really.

better driving experience? In a 1.0 Rapid/Toledo? lol.

I'd need more than Shell V-powet for that. A different chassis (not made of jelly) with a bigger engine for a start. :biggrin:

Edited by camelspyyder

My manual 60reg  1.2tsi Fabia use get 34-36 on short journeys then had remap to 122hp and improved to 38 And with stainless thru exhaust with sports cat (dash EML light mapped out) getting 38-42 and 46 (43 on the 122 map) on motorway at 70 on long journey, running Tesco 99. Think could get 50 if at 60 mph.

I have used the bigger Ron’s on a couple of cars I’ve owned years ago,a civic 1.6 VTi  revving to over 7000rpm and a Subaru Impreza turbo when some longer runs were involved,I think these engines did feel a bit better but was that because I had paid the extra £?     and as for extra mpg is that why I bought them to drive for better economy?not really and especially with the amount of traffic on the roads now.

Edited by Sad555

My lowest (2016 1.2 DSG) was indicated 18.3 mpg on the trip computer

A week ago 13 mile journey 1 hr 37 mins in start stop London traffic with outside temp 29-31c blazing sun, so climate busy throwing out cold air, and start stop obviously turned off

When M3 roadworks were on and had to cruise 20 miles at about 52mph, it showed over 48mpg so range variation is over 2.5 times.

Anyone want to beat that variance

3 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

better driving experience? In a 1.0 Rapid/Toledo? lol.

I'd need more than Shell V-powet for that. A different chassis (not made of jelly) with a bigger engine for a start. :biggrin:

As I said it's a personal choice. The 1.2 TSI DSG 2017 Yeti suits me, the type of driving I do, the space I need and relatively compact external dimensions. Your requirements are obviously different so you choose a different car - that's choice!

• Like 1

On 21/07/2018 at 21:14, SurreyJohn said:

My lowest (2016 1.2 DSG) was indicated 18.3 mpg on the trip computer

A week ago 13 mile journey 1 hr 37 mins in start stop London traffic with outside temp 29-31c blazing sun, so climate busy throwing out cold air, and start stop obviously turned off

When M3 roadworks were on and had to cruise 20 miles at about 52mph, it showed over 48mpg so range variation is over 2.5 times.

Anyone want to beat that variance

Never been that low MPG, mid to high 20 mpg recorded when doing a lot of around town driving. Crept into the low 50's at the weekend on a slow steady drive back from London as was not in a rush, my car lifetime average after driving it for 2.5 years is just under 40 mpg.

Does anybody bother with the LIVE /instant read out ,I found it an absolute waste.put your foot down 7 mpg ,foot off down hill 100 mpg,really?

27 minutes ago, Sad555 said:

Does anybody bother with the LIVE

I don't bother with the average readings because I keep a spreadsheet on my PC to keep track of my fuel consumption - not that it matters a deal for the few short trips I make. If I have mpg displayed then I keep it on live just to encourage myself to drive economically/sympathetically.

47 minutes ago, Sad555 said:

Does anybody bother with the LIVE /instant read out ,I found it an absolute waste.put your foot down 7 mpg ,foot off down hill 100 mpg,really?

I believe the figures you quote will be fairly accurate, but meaningless. I keep mine on average 1 or average 2, and I find they tie in quite well with brim to brim calculations. I use Sheets app on my phone and have logged all fuel since new, about ten months now. How sad is that? 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, PeterKn said:

I believe the figures you quote will be fairly accurate, but meaningless. I keep mine on average 1 or average 2, and I find they tie in quite well with brim to brim calculations. I use Sheets app on my phone and have logged all fuel since new, about ten months now. How sad is that? 

I’m becoming “sad” too.

Fuel economy obcession seems to have changed my old fundamentals when it comes to ogling new cars.  My ‘fastest car’ is now the one with the least ‘combined’ consumption figure.........really sad.

Different slant but cruise control make a massive difference to better mpg on longer distances on our weekly commute to Edinburgh return 210m compared to without 

Again using fuelly 

• Like 1

Our 1.2TSi Yeti always averaged 10mpg less than our 1.2TSi Octavia.

Same roads and same driver,

That's the extra weight and aerodynamics I guess.

Lee

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/07/2018 at 11:07, PeterKn said:

Just checked my Fuel Consumption 2 figure, it is 41.8 mpg over 600+ miles. My last three brim to brim fills calculation averages 41.8 as well. How's that for luck? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/07/2018 at 16:57, TR7Driver said:

Never been that low MPG, mid to high 20 mpg recorded when doing a lot of around town driving. Crept into the low 50's at the weekend on a slow steady drive back from London as was not in a rush, my car lifetime average after driving it for 2.5 years is just under 40 mpg.

Just had a week in Northumberland and was getting nearly 50mpg, our last fling in Yeti before it goes back to lease Co this week.  Very good for a 1.2 petrol DSG

Just proves it’s the roads (and traffic) that mainly affect mpg, having seen anything from 25  - 33 mpg in an outer London commute (31  - 37 mpg during school holidays) or the silly 18.3 mpg (see earlier post) averaging 8mph crossing London in start stop crawling traffic on a blazing hot 31c day

Just out of interest does the diesel have such a big variation where the worst journey uses 2.5 times fuel of clear rural roads

By the way highly recommend car going back, 18.5k 23 months old, hope whoever gets it enjoys it.