Excellent mpg

Went from welshpool to Blackpool today, over 100 Mile trip, felt like I had not hung about getting there and expected my mpg to be quite poor but on checking was surprised to see I had achieved 70.8mpg on arrival. That soon dropped to 49mpg on the way home as I was towing a 960kg caravan.

• Like 3

Our average is around 55mpg. Mix of local town and A roads. On longer runs it can average 68mpg and on a days driving up north west Scotland it got to 71mpg for the day.

I was pleasantly surprised with mine, regularly get high 50's and if it's quiet and no rush can get 70mpg. It replaced a Superb Greenline with a 6 speed economy gearbox, but I find the 5 speed and the 1.6 in the Octavia a much better drive. 

you guys must be free wheeling down the hills or you are some of you are telling porkies.

...there is no way in hell your getting 70mpg, a lot of hybrids cant even get that.

my vRS oil burner averages 43.5mpg [calculated on fuelly.com] and that was motorway miles no hard acceleration or speeds over 80mph, for the record the maxidot was reading 51.7mpg....

dont believe the maxidot as its no where near accurate. 

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 23.15.18.png

Have almost managed to get 1000k from a tank (988km best) and that is just my normal drive to and from work + weekend running around, including towing a trailer and the tank to tank fill calculated to 53.5MPG

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

you guys must be free wheeling down the hills or you are some of you are telling porkies.

...there is no way in hell your getting 70mpg, a lot of hybrids cant even get that.

my vRS oil burner averages 43.5mpg [calculated on fuelly.com] and that was motorway miles no hard acceleration or speeds over 80mph, for the record the maxidot was reading 51.7mpg....

Yours a 2.0 litre diesel and theirs is 1.6

I drive a vRS TDI too and I can`t get my mpg above 55mpg no matter how hard I try ( I`m not really trying though :tongueout: )

Normal days when I'm not trying, I can get ~52mpg on my 2.0 TDI with DSG (Fuelly recorded actual over 12 fill ups, since I got the car). The trip-computer is usually not too far off.

I tried during a recent 150 miles motorway trip by setting ACC to 70mph (instead of usual *cough*) and only use the outside lane to overtake erratic mid-lane hoggers. Traffic was moderate not too busy, I just find and follow smooth drivers using ACC. Whole trip averaged 61mpg, I've no doubt actual will be not too far off.

So 70mpg is do-able with some lorry following patience. :tongueout:

13 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

Not a Vrs a 1.6tdi hatch. Don't always check the mpg manually but when I have done the maxidot figure was within a few % points.

1 hour ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Errr, no, but I did tweak the 245 a bit

My 245 is absolutely standard and I've only have one tank full with the average mpg over 30. 

The stated returns for the 1.6 diesel seem very reasonable but not necessarily better than equivalent from other brands. 

I have been in the UK for the past month and hoped to hire a Golf but ended up with a 'or similar' C'eed, 1.6L manual diesel.

Not wanting to get a speeding ticket, I have been very law-abiding and over 2000 miles have filled up 3 times (last today for the car return tomorrow) with actual averages of 59mpg, 71 mpg and 61 mpg which were within 1.5 mpg of the computer average which was actually pessimistic.

The highest average was achieved down the M1 in heavy traffic where speeds were restricted to 50 to 60 mph.

Economy was excellent but I'm looking forward to driving my Octavia back in Australia in a couple of days.

I'll give a car review and general impressions of UK roads, cars and drivers later in the general section.

On ‎13‎.‎10‎.‎2017 at 00:46, POWYSWALES said:

Went from welshpool to Blackpool today, over 100 Mile trip, felt like I had not hung about getting there and expected my mpg to be quite poor but on checking was surprised to see I had achieved 70.8mpg on arrival. That soon dropped to 49mpg on the way home as I was towing a 960kg caravan.

Pretty impressive mpg with a 1ton caravan..!

I'm very happy with my vRS TDI (average around 53mpg) but I'm a bit envious of the 1.6 economy after driving one as a hirecar for a week (average ~65mpg).

Tempted to go for the 1.6 next...

On 15/10/2017 at 23:22, JohnnyType2 said:

Yes I am going to my the maxi dog but not finding it fairly accurate by my calculations.hete is 2 of my recent t journeys, one to oswestry the other to Telford.

IMG_20171022_124622.jpg

IMG_20171020_132451.jpg