LED boot interal light coding?

When the car is being driven, opening the glovebox gives me warning message that boot is open. :blink: It's repeatable everytime.

At first this message throw me, I thought I had grounding issue in glovebox or boot area. Searching online helped me to pin-point this to the new LED lights I installed to the inside of the boot: https://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1694

Is there VCDS coding (preferably OBDeleven compatible) to change boot interior lights to LED?

Many thanks

...and I just confirmed mine doesn't do that.

My boot LEDs are from SuperSkoda and they do not have any CANBUS error suppressors.

I opened the glovebox while driving and no errors popped up

1 hour ago, Jaco2k said:

...and I just confirmed mine doesn't do that.

My boot LEDs are from SuperSkoda and they do not have any CANBUS error suppressors.

I opened the glovebox while driving and no errors popped up

+1, mine are also from Superskoda - worked fine in my MkII and now in my MkIII.

I'm almost sure they're not monitored by Canbus.

Confirms that this happens to be me too - not on the SuperSkoda ones so probably that’s the reason (it’s 1/3 the price & changed the whole unit not just the bulbs).

But it doesn’t bother me though. Will probably swap the glovebox bulb to LED too & see how that goes.

Edited by wingzee
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Has anyone got to the bottom of this? I too get a boot open warning flashing away as soon as the glove box is opened, or if any interior lights are turned on when driving, so if my passenger turns on their map light (which is the Oe filament bulb) I get the warning on the dash of boot open.

any ideas? As I don’t realy want to ditch my football pitch boot lights, but it is annoying. 

• 2 years later...
On 01/11/2018 at 00:12, M7R said:

Has anyone got to the bottom of this? I too get a boot open warning flashing away as soon as the glove box is opened, or if any interior lights are turned on when driving, so if my passenger turns on their map light (which is the Oe filament bulb) I get the warning on the dash of boot open.

any ideas? As I don’t realy want to ditch my football pitch boot lights, but it is annoying. 

I have the same annoying issue, sound and visual warning, when interior light is on while driving or opened glove box... verry odd, no VCDS error ... some coding ?

I had the same issues , but then  I changed all the interior lamps to led then  the problems went away! (  By all the interior lights , I mean those in the glovebox,and overhead lights as I don't have footwell lights ). Before I completed the full change I experienced some strange issues including tailgate open warnings when  glovebox open,  alarm sounding if interior lights left on when vehicle locked when the  alarm was armed and Interior lights not dimming after car locked . It seems the BCM on my 2018 UK SEL estate car  did not agree with a mixture of halogen interior lights and multi led boot light units . I tried  2 sets sourced from eBay  and AliExpress. Both sets caused issues. 

I didn't try the multi led boot light units from Superskoda so I don't know if these are issue free? 

If I fitted replacement single lamp led bulbs eg Osram in the existing lamp units  in the boot / trunk there were no boot open warning  issues etc . etc.  but they were not so bright so I persevered and fitted LEDs in all the interior lights!

I hope it works for you!

Edited by GUM213K
Typo

13 hours ago, GUM213K said:

I had the same issues , but then  I changed all the interior lamps to led then  the problems went away! (  By all the interior lights , I mean those in the glovebox,and overhead lights as I don't have footwell lights ). Before I completed the full change I experienced some strange issues including tailgate open warnings when  glovebox open,  alarm sounding if interior lights left on when vehicle locked when the  alarm was armed and Interior lights not dimming after car locked . It seems the BCM on my 2018 UK SEL estate car  did not agree with a mixture of halogen interior lights and multi led boot light units . I tried  2 sets sourced from eBay  and AliExpress. Both sets caused issues. 

I didn't try the multi led boot light units from Superskoda so I don't know if these are issue free? 

If I fitted replacement single lamp led bulbs eg Osram in the existing lamp units  in the boot / trunk there were no boot open warning  issues etc . etc.  but they were not so bright so I persevered and fitted LEDs in all the interior lights!

I hope it works for you!

Thank you very much for the fix . It's working, the warning has disappeared after changed all interior lights (headliner, trunk, footwell, glovebox) with LEDs.

9 hours ago, SK2020 said:

Thank you very much for the fix . It's working, the warning has disappeared after changed all interior lights (headliner, trunk, footwell, glovebox) with LEDs.

Glad the fix worked for you . Cheaper than fitting Superskoda multi led boot/trunk light units. I like many things about the equipment from Superskoda but their shipping costs are excessive for small items which has at times prompted me to shop elsewhere!

This is most probably because the original lights have diodes in series. When the lights are replaced, the current can flow the other way and the control unit thinks the glove box is open.  Even if a LED acts like a diode,  there could be additional circuitry in them that allows a small current to flow the other way.  

image.thumb.png.6a911efb4895433772f780f71db1268e.png

• Like 1

This is most probably because the original lights have diodes in series. When the lights are replaced, the current can flow the other way and the control unit thinks the boot is open when you open the glove box.  Even if a LED acts like a diode,  there could be additional circuitry in them that allows a small current to flow the other way.  

11 hours ago, ketiljo said:

This is most probably because the original lights have diodes in series. When the lights are replaced, the current can flow the other way and the control unit thinks the boot is open when you open the glove box.  Even if a LED acts like a diode,  there could be additional circuitry in them that allows a small current to flow the other way.  

I'm no electronics engineer but the diodes are still present in the glovebox light units and the overhead light units after the change from halogen to led bulbs .

In my case  ( and it seems for others )   the cure for  the odd tailgate open  warning  , interior light dimming and alarm problems is  cured by replacing the existing halogen bulbs with led lamps  in the glovebox and the overhead light units  . The diodes are built into the glovebox light units and overhead light units and I didn't remove them . Why do multi led lamp  units from Superskoda  fitted in place of the existing single halogen boot lamp units   (which are diode equipped)   not cause problems when multi led ones from eBay and AliExpress do cause issues?

I guess they all come from a large eastern continent?

• Haha 1