Brakefluid change messy

26DIPP

I did  a brakefluid change today.

Why is the brakefluid reservoir almost hidden under a ledge. It is difficult to access and difficult to judge the fluid level with the result of spillage. Much nicer on all previous cars.

Also I checked ERWIN before I started. It suggests to do it in this order: RR, LR, RF, LF. Normally I would have started with the longest line - LR - to the shortest one.

Does anyone have any tips for my next brakefluid change to avoid any mess and spillage?

The ABS pump is on the opposite side of the engine bay to the reservoir and servo, so the order in the service manual actually does end up going from longest to shortest since every line goes through the ABS pump first before going to the respective wheel.

As for keeping the mess down, agreed the reservoir is in an awkward spot for servicing. I'd guess your best bet to keep things clean is to use a funnel to add fluid, and an inspection mirror to help you check the level.

Edited by chimaera
More info

When I last did this, I cut a Sainsburys-type milk container in half, horizontally.

After cleaning and drying it, the top half is used as a funnel for the brake fluid (with a handle built in).  And in between top-ups during bleeding, it can be parked upside down in the lower half, which will then collect the drips.

Milk containers from other supermarkets will probably be just as effective.

59ec8f2215dc8_Sainsburys-British-Semi-Skimmed-Milk-2.27L-4-pint1.jpg.22b0a48e9d3bc486e5ab5aef7d9762bb.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, it is like this in an Oct II too.   It is difficult to see through the reservoir as well for correct level. As per others replies I used a funnel and I also make sure I wrap paper towel or shop towel around the reservior so if I drip or spill a bit it doesn't end up coating all the surrounding parts and lower unseen engine bay. A torch can help a bit with determining level.