POOR FUEL CONSUMPTION

614 miles to a tank, wow! I usually get 220 miles but it doesn't really bother me as I'm a low user so just enjoy the cars performance rather than worrying about MPG. I would be ecstatic about 40mpg for a 2ltr 4x4 tdi car of this size...

6 hours ago, Gadget007 said:

988km or 614miles  took 52.4l, and if you do the maths there is a discrepancy between indicated consumption and actual consumption

I've also been chasing the, so far, illusive 1000km from a tank on my vRS.

I've come pretty close as above but never had the chance (or the balls to let it reach 0km to empty) to be able to continue for another 20-30km before reaching the next fuel station..

2 hours ago, marko said:

614 miles to a tank, wow! I usually get 220 miles but it doesn't really bother me as I'm a low user so just enjoy the cars performance rather than worrying about MPG. I would be ecstatic about 40mpg for a 2ltr 4x4 tdi car of this size...

The Scout isn't permanent 4x4 though. I had a Volvo XC70 before the scout and that was far bigger, heavier, bigger 5 cylinder engine, older, 110K more miles on it, knackered turbo and EGR valve and permanent 4x4 and I got 37 MPG average out of that. Hence why I'm NOT ecstatic about 40 to 45 MPG out of the Scout when being driven like miss daisy on a long run.

Edited by wilbert77
spelling

5 hours ago, Gabbo said:

I've also been chasing the, so far, illusive 1000km from a tank on my vRS.

I've come pretty close as above but never had the chance (or the balls to let it reach 0km to empty) to be able to continue for another 20-30km before reaching the next fuel station..

That is a pretty good effort on a nominal 50 litre tank. Do you remember many litres went in when you refilled on the close attempts?

Brimmed (50L) tanks have proven to hold at least 54 litres, with the engine still running on 'empty'

You are averaging 5.4L/100 overall, so you would think if you had a whole tank to yourself then the requisite 5L/100 (or better) should be a realistic target.

The most I've ever got in my 1.4 TSI estate tank was 49.0 litres - which was when the range was showing zero, and had been for 2 or 3 miles.

I managed 538 miles / 866 km on that tankful - so a fair way off hitting 1000 km on a tank! 

The economy on this tank was thus 49.8 mpg (UK) / 41.5 mpg (US) / 5.7 l/100km

According to my fuelly log I've also never filled more than 50L, I think the closest was around 49.something.

I've had many occaisons where the current mileage plus the distance to empty would take me to 1000km but due to reaching my destination I didnt want to continue...

I'm sure it will come one day... My average is 55mpg which is almost 5L/100km so I think it is definately possible.

Maybe if you weren't driving at 80 on the motorway your mpg would improve!

Driving on A roads at 50 stuck behind a lorry (not slipstreaming ;-) I can get 70mpg in my Octavia TDI 150, but at 70 on the motorway that drops to 60mpg.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, amwphotos said:

Driving on A roads at 50 stuck behind a lorry (not slipstreaming ;-) I can get 70mpg in my Octavia TDI 150, but at 70 on the motorway that drops to 60mpg.

Me cruising at a mix between 65-77mph for a 140mile journey brought about 63.5mpg in my VRS over summer. The 77mph being when I had to overtake the middle lane losers. 

2 hours ago, amwphotos said:

Surely you would need to be within a few metres of the lorry in front to be in its slipstream, at 50mph that would be very risky.

^^^ To be in the slipstream maybe, in the eddy, like lorries convoying, but not to get the tow. 

That can be right back where you see the mirrors and the driver can see you.

Easy to see where that is if you have 'Coast Function' on newer cars, but also in the rain where you can still have no need to use your windscreen wiper and have a safe breaking distance.

Issue is someone will likely jump into that space thinking you are too slow and too far behind another vehicle, and are not an Audi/ Jag/ BMW/ Range Rover.

I've always thought you needed to get pretty close to get any advantage and never had any inclination to do it, usually I hang back far enough to see for overtaking although there is very little opportunity to pass on a lot of the A40. It's usually fairly clear that I'm looking to pass, I always find it a pain when people are refusing to overtake but then leave no room for someone that will.

1 hour ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Issue is someone will likely jump into that space thinking you are too slow and too far behind another vehicle, and are not an Audi/ Jag/ BMW/ Range Rover.

Bar stewards. Gets on my nerves when that happens, some people just don't understand safe braking distances etc. 

amwphotos,

If HGV's are at 50 mph on average camara routes with 50mph speed limits routes or Light Commercials like Luton vans are going through 60 mph average om Single carriageways or even a dual carriageway or even a Coach at 70 mph it is easy to see if you get a tow at a safe distance back and you are delaying nobody because there is either no place for others to pass without going over the limit or they have another lane to use.

Simple enough to try as hypermilers have done it for decades. and you likely do it anyway when going with the flow.

On a motorbike or even a push bike you know where you need to be to get some shelter and not hit by the stour that HGV's kick back off the verge, or where it just becomes calm and you see your revs dropping and your speed staying the same.

Edited by Headinawayoffski