Interior light fitting removal

Hey all! Winter is uoon us here in Cumbria. I had to use the interior lighting on Thursday to sort something out and Ibwas reminded how woeful it is.

Ive wanted to fit LEDs into the interior lighting but I am conscious of the hamfisted damage I coukd cause by prying in the wrong places. I have commented on a few threads on here and on the fb page but never really got anywhere. Could any of you more experienced lamp swappers please share some information as to how the internal lights are removed to allow lamp replacement without destroying them? 

Edited by ExSEAT
Spelling

That is a fantastic amount of help! Although the videos make it look like those things are held in by hope! 

Will order the LEDs and then get my thumbnails (or my soft ory tools) onto the fittings! Thanks so much :)

For those with panoramic sunroof - here’s how to remove the rear reading lights. I found this to be the most tricky when comes to removal/reinstalling vs the rest if the interior lighting. In fact, I broke the clip for mine :(

• Thanks 1

Just remember when changing the LED bulbs inside the vehicle you don't need canbus ones as the interior is not monitored & make sure to buy small LED bulbs in length as long ones will not fit due to the housing not being able to clip back in.

12 minutes ago, BATVANVRS said:

Just remember when changing the LED bulbs inside the vehicle you don't need canbus ones as the interior is not monitored & make sure to buy small LED bulbs in length as long ones will not fit due to the housing not being able to clip back in.

Except the red ones in both the front doors! ;)

• 6 months later...
On 06/11/2017 at 10:35, BATVANVRS said:

I've got this on the list of things to do to my car. If I've done my measuring right, the standard 501 bulb is 28mm ish long. I've seen a shop on ebay which sells LED bulbs of varying length (32, 35 and 41mm).

Would you advise getting the shorter of the three? The 32mm bulb has 8 diodes, whereas the 41mm is able to accommodate 15 and thus being the brighter of the pair. I was looking at doing a bulk buy on these, as I was going to do each and every 501 bulb.

19 hours ago, tunedude said:

I've got this on the list of things to do to my car. If I've done my measuring right, the standard 501 bulb is 28mm ish long. I've seen a shop on ebay which sells LED bulbs of varying length (32, 35 and 41mm).

Would you advise getting the shorter of the three? The 32mm bulb has 8 diodes, whereas the 41mm is able to accommodate 15 and thus being the brighter of the pair. I was looking at doing a bulk buy on these, as I was going to do each and every 501 bulb.

I have these bulbs in my interior https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-6-SMD-LED-Pure-White-LED-501-T10-W5W-Interior-Light-bulbs-SUPER-BRIGHT/330974765508?hash=item4d0fa221c4:g:JugAAOSw7ThUqGgl

Very good quality & only has 6 smd's per each bulb but are very bright to be fair, I think I used 6 led bulbs in my interior (Just for headlining lights front & rear) but was cheaper before for a pack of 8 or 10, something like £8.99 or £9.99 but they work faultlessly & have been for years. (I'll try & find the thread from ages ago about led's etc) Here is that thread.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/304984-upgrade-vrs-interior-lights/

I have these ones in my glove-box & inside the rear boot from Ali-express

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Power-4pcs-lot-T10-Canbus-Car-Led-Light-Error-Free-W5W-WY5W-Auto-Interior-License/2036929238.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4ff94c4ddK2puP

Make sure to choose white colour, these are mega bright & lights up the whole boot area.

Boot Thread

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/413880-upgrading-boot-lighting/

Edited by BATVANVRS
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BATVANVRS said:

I have these bulbs in my interior https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-6-SMD-LED-Pure-White-LED-501-T10-W5W-Interior-Light-bulbs-SUPER-BRIGHT/330974765508?hash=item4d0fa221c4:g:JugAAOSw7ThUqGgl

Very good quality & only has 6 smd's per each bulb but are very bright to be fair, I think I used 6 led bulbs in my interior (Just for headlining lights front & rear) but was cheaper before for a pack of 8 or 10, something like £8.99 or £9.99 but they work faultlessly & have been for years. (I'll try & find the thread from ages ago about led's etc) Here is that thread.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/304984-upgrade-vrs-interior-lights/

I have these ones in my glove-box & inside the rear boot from Ali-express

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Power-4pcs-lot-T10-Canbus-Car-Led-Light-Error-Free-W5W-WY5W-Auto-Interior-License/2036929238.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4ff94c4ddK2puP

Make sure to choose white colour, these are mega bright & lights up the whole boot area.

Boot Thread

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/413880-upgrading-boot-lighting/

happy days with those. I'm always happy for tried and tested ones. I'll get a set of 10 from ebay and I'll be able to do all the interior. I know a lot of you use aliexpress but I've never trusted getting things from so far away and them taking so long

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BATVANVRS said:

They are very similar to what I have just fitted in the interior although they design is aliitle different in that they don't have the white plastic around the base.

As for the boot lights again that's what I fitted but not from Ali Express.  I found mine illuminate very dimly when they should be off after shutting boot but after about 10 mins they do go off as the car kills the circuit to the lights.  

Do do you get this issue?

• Like 1

On 06/06/2018 at 21:08, ScoutCJB said:

They are very similar to what I have just fitted in the interior although they design is aliitle different in that they don't have the white plastic around the base.

As for the boot lights again that's what I fitted but not from Ali Express.  I found mine illuminate very dimly when they should be off after shutting boot but after about 10 mins they do go off as the car kills the circuit to the lights.  

Do do you get this issue?

When you say you shut the boot & the lights should be off! how do you know that the boot lights are lit dimly? without opening the boot again for the boot light to come on! are you looking in via the rear seats down? I just open my boot & lights are on, from when I close my boot I presume my boot lights are off as I've closed my boot & not really felt the need to check if I'm honest, open boot = lights on, close boot = lights off.

But I understand what you are saying, might be best to check with someone else opening the boot & closing the boot while you are inside with the rear seats down, maybe the led lights are so powerful compared to normal bulbs.

20 hours ago, BATVANVRS said:

When you say you shut the boot & the lights should be off! how do you know that the boot lights are lit dimly? without opening the boot again for the boot light to come on! are you looking in via the rear seats down? I just open my boot & lights are on, from when I close my boot I presume my boot lights are off as I've closed my boot & not really felt the need to check if I'm honest, open boot = lights on, close boot = lights off.

But I understand what you are saying, might be best to check with someone else opening the boot & closing the boot while you are inside with the rear seats down, maybe the led lights are so powerful compared to normal bulbs.

Ive got an estate, it was by chance it was in the garage one night and the load cover was open.  As I walked past I happened to look in and see both LEDs were very dimly lit even though the boot was shut. Opened boot and they come on full power.  Close and they don' fully go out (at first).

Later whilst cleaning the car I had the driver door open ..... the interior lights will go off if the doors have been left open after about 10 mins.  So with door open i checked and the boot lights were fully off.

Tested many times and in essence:

Boot open, boot less fully lit

Boot closed and car locked, less dimly lit for 10 mins then they fully extinguish.

Boot closed car running, less dimly lit

4 hours ago, ScoutCJB said:

Ive got an estate, it was by chance it was in the garage one night and the load cover was open.  As I walked past I happened to look in and see both LEDs were very dimly lit even though the boot was shut. Opened boot and they come on full power.  Close and they don' fully go out (at first).

Later whilst cleaning the car I had the driver door open ..... the interior lights will go off if the doors have been left open after about 10 mins.  So with door open i checked and the boot lights were fully off.

Tested many times and in essence:

Boot open, boot less fully lit

Boot closed and car locked, less dimly lit for 10 mins then they fully extinguish.

Boot closed car running, less dimly lit

I've never noticed this if honest, the only thing I can suggest is maybe try a different set of LED's & see if the same happens! Take out 2 interior LED bulbs & try them in the boot to see what they do? before buying any more LED bulbs.

This will be an issue with the car rather than the LEDs. They are obviously very efficient LEDs and the car is not completely shutting off the current when turning them off. With the normal incandescent bulbs this wouldn't be noticeable.

• 1 year later...