Octavia New 1.5 tsi ordered club

SE tech estate 1.5 ordered for personal lease. Will be replacing ourr 2015 yr old 1.4 SE estate.

Race Blue with privacy glass, tow hook, winter pack (inc rear heated seats and USB points) , sports steering wheel and spare wheel. 

On 4 February 2018 at 14:02, xman said:

Keep an eye on the dash when she complains and see if 2 cylinder mode is displayed.

OK, my wife took the car down the A3 today with me in the passenger seat - not something that I'm very comfortable with!

i had my arm on the armrest looking for signs of vibrations as we got up to 70mph. Yes, I could feel the road at times, but there was certainly nothing that I would call vibrations - whether in 2-cylinder or 4-cylinder mode.

So panic only, my wife's put it down to my driving and I'm happy with that.

Thanks to those that have taken an interest.

Norm

Hi everybody, I have a 1.5 TSI SE L in black on order, should be built this week.  I've gone for a couple of options; rear camera, front sensors, ambient lighting and the five year warranty as it's a keeper.  It's my first brand new car so I'm very much looking forward to it. The camera and front sensors were a requirement as I park in a very tight space at work, it's difficult enough with my current i30 sometimes, but with an extra 18 inches or so of Octavia to deal with I'll need all the help I can get. 

I've gone for black again... I have a soft spot for black cars, they are a pain in the neck to keep clean but for that 30 seconds or so that they are clean, they look fantastic.  I blame the Knight Rider addiction I had as a kid in the mid 80's.  I don't know many people who have had more than 1 black car (most people seem to learn from their mistakes!) but this will be my fourth.  This will be my first Skoda though.  I joined the forum nearly three years ago when my parents were looking to buy a Rapid and have been a lurker here ever since; the car has served them well for what they want and been very reliable.  My Father in Law has had three Yetis and two MKII Octavia's, SWMBO had a Fabia a few years ago and my brother-in-law has a current generation Fabia.  All the various cars have been reliable and easy to live with, so let's hope the Octy is the same.  I just wanted to say a quick 'thank you' for all the posts that I have seen over the past few years that helped both with the Rapid and with the Octavia.   

• Like 2

@RoscoPColtrane Welcome to the forum.

I'll be interested to hear how you find the new Octavia compares to your old i30 as a drive.

I'll just say that black cars are not that 'cool' when temperatures top 40 deg C. in Australia.

That's why mine is Candy White, pragmatic choice and cheaper too.

Edited by Gerrycan

Hi Rosco, I've had my SE L for 10 days now. I'm one of those that had a black car once & never again. Demin Blue this time. I went for rear camera & 5 year warranty but left out the front sensors. Wish I'd included them now. You get used to the rear sensors and then wonder why the front ones don't come on!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

@RoscoPColtrane Welcome to the forum.

I'll be interested to hear how you find the new Octavia compares to your old i30 as a drive.

I'll just say that black cars are not that 'cool' when temperatures top 40 deg C. in Australia.

That's why mine is Candy White, pragmatic choice and cheaper too.

Thanks, Gerrycan.  I don't have to worry about 40 deg C temperatures in the middle of the UK, I wish I did...  My I30 is a MK1 diesel with 80k on the clock and it's seven years old, so the new Octavia should be a good cut above.  It's been a great car though, if the new I30 had been slightly bigger, or even if the interior wasn't quite so nasty looking (to my eye), I'd have had another.  Dealers were great, warranty claims few and far between but handled very efficiently and without issue.  Trouble is, I need a bit more space and the Octavia fits the bill perfectly. Given what is being discussed in another thread about issues with the 1.5 revving to 2k if you lift the clutch slightly and chugging like my Dad's Datsun used to in the cold weather, I think things could be interesting. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RoscoPColtrane said:

Thanks, Gerrycan.  I don't have to worry about 40 deg C temperatures in the middle of the UK, I wish I did...  My I30 is a MK1 diesel with 80k on the clock and it's seven years old, so the new Octavia should be a good cut above.  It's been a great car though, if the new I30 had been slightly bigger, or even if the interior wasn't quite so nasty looking (to my eye), I'd have had another.  Dealers were great, warranty claims few and far between but handled very efficiently and without issue.  Trouble is, I need a bit more space and the Octavia fits the bill perfectly. Given what is being discussed in another thread about issues with the 1.5 revving to 2k if you lift the clutch slightly and chugging like my Dad's Datsun used to in the cold weather, I think things could be interesting. 

That should be one of the first things you should try with the car before you accept it and if it’s not right don’t take the car. You’ll never be in a better bargaining position.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, NFmiller said:

Hi Rosco, I've had my SE L for 10 days now. I'm one of those that had a black car once & never again. Demin Blue this time. I went for rear camera & 5 year warranty but left out the front sensors. Wish I'd included them now. You get used to the rear sensors and then wonder why the front ones don't come on!

I had a new black Polo and I am sure it was jinxed. For that reason, no more black cars for me. Do look smart in the sun when clean though! 

• 2 weeks later...

20180224_202427.thumb.jpg.184f9e8dbde919627c44aee69f078c3c.jpgJust been into the shop to sign off some paperwork; the car is in!  Getting valleted in the next couple of days, ready for collection next weekend.

Only ordered in late January. 

Edited by Duffmeister

• 3 weeks later...

I've posted these pictures in the owners register thread so apologies for the duplication.  Collected my 1.5TSI SE-L yesterday and I'm very impressed.  It makes my old I30 seem like it was from a different age, which I guess it was in automotive terms (2011).  I have no idea what most of the buttons do yet but I'll get there with help from SWMBO who understands such things...  The LED headlights are excellent, particularly the full beam, it's comfortable, easy to drive, more than quick enough for what I want and the boot is huge.   

First job was to fit the gas struts for the bonnet which I did this morning, the whole job took 10 minutes thanks to the information on this forum.

Octavia 2.jpg

Octavia 1.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Despite having the car for nearly 6 weeks today was the first journey of any note, a 100 mile round trip to Leicester along the terminally dull A5, following lorry after lorry with the occasional clear stretch.  There may be quieter cars out there and certainly faster ones but after 2.5 hours of driving I felt like I'd driven to the shops and back, no aches and pains (I get a few usually!) and had averaged 52 mpg without trying.  I find the flexibility of the 1.5 amazing, it will sit quite happily at 1200rpm in 6th, but drop it in to 3rd or even 4th to pass one of those many lorries and it goes like the proverbial off a shovel without making a fuss about it in the cabin.  And this car only has 600 miles on the clock so I assume it will only get better.  And that boot is massive.

12 hours ago, RoscoPColtrane said:

Despite having the car for nearly 6 weeks today was the first journey of any note, a 100 mile round trip to Leicester along the terminally dull A5, following lorry after lorry with the occasional clear stretch.  There may be quieter cars out there and certainly faster ones but after 2.5 hours of driving I felt like I'd driven to the shops and back, no aches and pains (I get a few usually!) and had averaged 52 mpg without trying.  I find the flexibility of the 1.5 amazing, it will sit quite happily at 1200rpm in 6th, but drop it in to 3rd or even 4th to pass one of those many lorries and it goes like the proverbial off a shovel without making a fuss about it in the cabin.  And this car only has 600 miles on the clock so I assume it will only get better.  And that boot is massive.

Had mine 7 weeks and have occasionally noticed a niggle with the ride quality that’s all. Turns out the tyres came from the factory pumped up to the eco pressure (2.5 bar). Dropping that back to the ‘normal’ setting at 2.2 has improved it further and I was happy before. 

Hi Lordch, does the car come with an air-pump with tyre pressure gauge (Not sure what the tyre repair kit includes)? I should receive my vehicle in the next two or three weeks and wondering if I should order an air-pump and tyre pressure gauge and keep it ready.

24 minutes ago, Grc said:

Hi Lordch, does the car come with an air-pump with tyre pressure gauge (Not sure what the tyre repair kit includes)? I should receive my vehicle in the next two or three weeks and wondering if I should order an air-pump and tyre pressure gauge and keep it ready.

Comes with a tyre pump (with gauge in bar and psi) that plugs into 12v socket - there's one in the boot that's 'always on'.  In addition there is a Tyre Inflation system' which is basically a valve removing tool and a bottle of gunk that you fire in to seal up any punctures. Presumably it's a temporary measure  :^]

• 3 weeks later...

Placed the order yesterday for a 1.5 SE L estate in Quartz Grey (christened 'old man grey' by another customer! :)) with spare wheel, towbar, heated seats and steering wheel. 

It's going to be a long wait....... 

45 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

Please tell that customer (if you ever see them again) to politely go away! I’m warming to the Quartz Grey paint on my car :D I’m sure you’ll love it when it gets here :)

It was another bloke's wife, then my wife agreed and they then proceeded to mock us old farts - I'm 47! :crying::crying:  :D

I’m 23, what’s their point?? In truth I have really come to like the grey, not as much as the green, the red, the blue, the white, the other grey and the black but it is at least better than the silver ;)

Edited by SashaGrace

54 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

I’m 23, what’s their point?? In truth I have really come to like the grey, not as much as the green, the red, the blue, the white, the other grey and the black but it is at least better than the silver ;)

Mine's silver.

I’m so sorry for you :D I kid, colour is a highly personal preference. I really wanted a green vRS but my other half hated the colour and I couldn't find one in budget anyway. My Mercedes is silver, it’s hard to find a 00’s AMG Mercedes that isn’t, I’m happy with it, I just find silver a bit dull personally. Same with my anonymous dark grey. I like a colour with personality but I always seem to end up with dull colours. The next car is going to be bright orange or something :)