2 litres of coolant in the last 4 weeks

Pudq1

2 litres of coolant in the last 4 weeks - could this be due to the recent weather changes or is a new water pump due?? My cam-belt is due for a change before the year is out!!

The car seems to be using a lot more fuel of late aswell, could they be linked?

8 minutes ago, Pudq1 said:

2 litres of coolant in the last 4 weeks - could this be due to the recent weather changes or is a new water pump due?? My cam-belt is due for a change before the year is out!!

headgasket ? doesn't sound good mate

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, thomasaspin said:

headgasket ? doesn't sound good mate

are there any other symptoms to look out for if it is a head gasket? or can you tell straight away that it is a head gasket just by the coolant and the car drinking more fuel??

Seeing as you do not even say which engine even Service Desk Employees with not a clue about cars might not guess first head gasket.

Radiator leak, pipe or water pump maybe.  Then go for the kill, head gasket, £2,000 card please.

?

Any reason after you had to put in the second 0.5 liter you never checked out where the leak was?

Not that smart putting off really.

Edited by Headinawayoffski
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Seeing as you do not even say which engine even Service Desk Employees with not a clue about cars might not guess first head gasket.

Radiator leak, pipe or water pump maybe.  Then go for the kill, head gasket, £2,000 card please.

?

Any reason after you had to put in the second 0.5 liter you never checked out where the leak was?

Not that smart putting off really.

Sorry guys I forgot!! It is a 1.9tdi 2009

On 14/11/2017 at 03:48, brad1.8T said:

Do the basics well. 

Get a pressure tester on it and see if there's an obvious leak.

Check the coolant for hydrocarbons using a test kit.

Check the water for signs of oil contamination

etc

On an old car I had with coolant issues, I could smell exhaust gases when I opened up the expansion tank. Check this also when the car has not been used for more than 3 hours as it might indicate a blown head gasket, but I would have a test done first before making sure expensive work is needed. 

• Like 1

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 18:59, Pudq1 said:

on the 1.9 it's the water pump, go get it sorted asap or you will be sorting your head gasket out shortly.

• Like 1

the coolant warning light came on so I topped it up thinking it was nothing to worry about - this was 4 weeks ago now.

Today I have new issues, the outside temperature reading on the computer is reading random numbers like -28c and then would read  - - : - -

It is also making noises (fan I think?) when I turn the engine off. The actual engine temperature gauge hasn't moved at all and is reading like it always has

I am putting my car in for a new cambelt and waterpump next week

is this more likely to be the rad, water pump or a temperature sensor?  I took it in to my local garage today but the guy told me it could be anything (they all say this) I was hoping for a little bit of guidance from here so I dont go in blind!

'The coolant pump, temperature sensor, and coolant thermostat are integrated in a common housing made of duroplastic.

This housing is attached to the cylinder block below the intake manifold.' QUOTED FROM the page below

Could this be the case with mine?

10 hours ago, Pudq1 said:

'The coolant pump, temperature sensor, and coolant thermostat are integrated in a common housing made of duroplastic.

This housing is attached to the cylinder block below the intake manifold.' QUOTED FROM the page below

Could this be the case with mine?

!.9 tdi has a different setup, The page u quoted from is for 1.8 tsi petrol engine. the water pump on a TDi is driven by the cambelt, which is why that will need doing as well as the water pump, as the the coolant contaminates the belt, if left too long the belt can fail, and thats an expense you don't want before xmas.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2017 at 20:06, Pudq1 said:

is this more likely to be the rad, water pump or a temperature sensor?  I took it in to my local garage today but the guy told me it could be anything (they all say this) I was hoping for a little bit of guidance from here so I dont go in blind!

Tis possible for a radiator leak, more likley the water pump as it's a very issue on the 1.9tdi.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ju1ian1001 said:

Tis possible for a radiator leak, more likley the water pump as it's a very issue on the 1.9tdi.

Thanks.  If it is the water pump would this cause the fan to come on when running and when the engine is switched off?

What do you think is causing the temperature on the computer to read weird random numbers?

4 hours ago, Pudq1 said:

Thanks.  If it is the water pump would this cause the fan to come on when running and when the engine is switched off?

What do you think is causing the temperature on the computer to read weird random numbers?

The are a couple of tempreture sensors, both do different tasks.

One senses the air tempreture outside of the vehicle and displays it to u, either through maxidot (if fitted) or through the standard trip computer, the sensor could be damaged or not working. It's normally fitted away from sources of heat (would not know where though) That could be causing the random numbers.

The other is fitted in the radiator and tells the ECU water temp and triggers the fans to cycle. the do go wrong fairly often and and as a default will bring the rad fan on (they don't always do this though. I had a nissan primera with a failed temp sender switch, good thing was the rad fan wasn't controlled by the ECU (they are on the octavia) so fitted a switch inside the car wired it up to the fan with an inline fuse, when the gauge got a bit high just flicked the switch until cool again; sometimes i would get the wrong one and turn the amp on or off) 

Edited by Ju1ian1001
  • Like 1

There were two coolant temperature sensors fitted to my 1.9 o6 Octavia.  One measured  the engine coolant and the other measured the coolant coming out of the radiator which decided if the fans needed switched on or not.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Best sort out the coolant leak.

I'm trying!!, I haven't had any coolant issues since Friday. I was hoping that before I take it to a garage and have them try and rip me off to get a little knowledge on here!!

I have it booked in for later this week for a cam belt and water-pump change so I am hoping this will solve it, if not then :sadsmile:

Edited by Pudq1
  • Like 1

I too have the 1.9tdi, which developed a coolant leak, albeit not to the extent that you're losing coolant. I had the system pressure tested and it revealed that there was a leak in the EGR cooler. Just a suggestion should your water pump be ok. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...