Nervous at motorway speed

serafumi

4 hours ago, Wino said:

Your profile says you also have a mk2 Golf.

Having owned one with and one without PAS, if yours is/was a non-PAS, the contrast with a Fabia is very marked.

Ah wino  I see . Sorry for the confusion. I've owned both . And non pas golf was much nicer to drive ... felt very mechanical.. if that makes sense ! 

:thumbup:

Yep, I preferred my non-PAS one, but some folks found them too heavy to deal with. Just thought you might be comparing PAS Fabia with non-PAS Golf, but if you've experienced both types in the Golf, it won't just be the contrast.

2 hours ago, KenONeill said:

@serafumi - I'm not a big fan of Barums, but not because I have issues with cruising stability on Skoda recommended pressures. Where I have an issue is with lack of feel (relative term) when trying to balance down the very edge of the road.

I think I spoke to you before about them .. I've tried higher pressures in them . But that made it feel worst . They seem a very lazy tyre . I first brought 2 new fronts and thought they was ok . So I then brought 2 matching rears  . It seemed to handle worst with 4 matching tyres . Would that make sense 

Am I right in thinking the OP's Fabia is 1.4 MPI, he said is all-aluminium, will also have a smaller, lighter battery than either of the two diesels, and then matching narrow, tall tyres.  So is it likely to feel less directionally-stable at speed than one with heavier engine and battery?  The arrow-head effect.

My wandery Fabia experience was the 1.4tdi hatch, heavyish 3-cyl engine and battery, steel wheels, think tyres were 185 section on 14"steel rims, when I said it twitched over sunken utility cast covers, my local tyre place put it straight on the hoist and said it'll be the console bushes, the c3" dia rubber/air compliance bushes at the front inner end of the lower front suspension arms.  Replaced with standards.

Now with Roomster, same suspension setup, 1.9tdi remapped, have had stiffer Mehle bushes fitted to sharpen up the steering, downside is horrible chatter on any broken surfaces, of which we have plenty!  The Mehle bushes comprise more rubber with correspondingly smaller air-gaps.  

Roomster is alloys (my first car so equipped), OSF has a slow leak, even a small amount down and it feels slightly unsteady, so I pump it up weekly.

Richard

Edited by RichardatWakefield
Clarify my meaning.

28 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

Seeming to handle worse might be right, from having 2 crap tyres on to then 4 of them.

Where do you get them, and is there a manufacturing date on them?

They were brought from a tyre supplier . And all made in 2016 . Maybe it is just a tyre issue ... 

40 minutes ago, RichardatWakefield said:

Am I right in thinking the OP's Fabia is 1.4 MPI, he said is all-aluminium, will also have a smaller, lighter battery than either of the two diesels, and then matching narrow, tall tyres.  So is it likely to feel less directionally-stable at speed than one with heavier engine and battery?  The arrow-head effect.

No that's my car :)

I'd change the tyre's next then, Barum's are Continentals budget brand and are not very good, as has been said the are quite lazy in there responsiveness and do lack a lot of feel, ran them on my old Mazda for a while and hated every minute of them, fitted some michelin's and the car was much much better.

10 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

For straight line stability choose a tyre with nice deep, straight radial grooves in the tread around the middle.

Thanks for the input . Is there any tyre to look out for that doesn't tramline ? If so any recommendations 

10 hours ago, serafumi said:

Thanks for the input . Is there any tyre to look out for that doesn't tramline ? If so any recommendations 

I understand that the Uniroyals are highly rated for stability and wet grip since we're coming into the winter, other than that I have no idea since I live in the sticks and drive everywhere that's twisty.

I have heard the uniroyals wear quickly (look at the reviews), although they are a good price.

I have Goodyear eagle F1 and they are very stable. Saying that though I was driving today on 2 odd front tyres one being a very worn out ditchfinder and I reached around 110mph on my private runway and car was really stable so don't think there are any specific tyres that are better than others, just some combinations are worse as you have found out.

As Lee posted previously - it might be an idea to see what setting the steering is on - if set to most powerful setting it might make it feel 'twitchy'/oversensitive at higher speeds.

ISTR there are 5 settings ?