Pothole!

So driving back home last night coming round a blind corner, was unfortunate enough to have two cars coming the other way which meant I was forced to stay close to the inside of the bend. Next thing I know I’ve driven through a massive pothole at the side of the road at ~50mph with an almighty bang. Nowhere safe to stop and a couple of miles later the TPMS warning popped up. Luckily a lay-by appeared shortly thereafter and I was able to pull over to inspect the damage. A fist sized dent in the rim was the result, along with two missing hubcaps. Luckily I’d changed from alloy to winter wheels on steel rims last weekend!

When the AA man finally turned up he was happy enough to whack the wheel back into shape and it pumped up fine and has maintained pressure since. Foolishly I didn’t take a picture of the damage to the wheel, but did go back to take a picture of the hole and recover the hubcaps!

The AA man also had a look at the suspension and couldn’t see any visible damage. Is there anything I need to be wary of? It’s heading into the dealer to have a door rattle looked at next week, so should I be asking them to look over anything? Drove fine the rest of the way home, although the lane assist might have been a bit less accurate than it has been in the past, weaving a bit from side to side in the lane on the motorway, where I’m fairly sure it would have maintained a pretty steady course before. That might just be me worrying though. With lane assist off, it didn’t pull noticeably to one side or the other.

923C5C6B-B402-486B-80ED-A3DCF7D2C40E.jpeg

15 minutes ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

Get your tracking checked asap.

Tyre sidewalls may be weakened and could yet bulge - keep an eye on them, this happened to me.

Couldn’t see any physical mark on the tyre itself. Looked as if the rim bore the brunt. I’ll keep an eye out though.

1 minute ago, wg100 said:

Couldn’t see any physical mark on the tyre itself. Looked as if the rim bore the brunt. I’ll keep an eye out though.

Nothing was visible on mine and the bulge only appeared months after the event. Bear in mind it may appear on the inside sidewall too!

Not sure if this happens in the UK but over here in Ireland the council have to pay for any damage caused by a pot hole if it has not been repaired (pot hole) whether its the wheel or suspension , you send the council a lette/email with photo's of the damage and the pothole and a receipt for the cost of repair, if they have not fixed the pothole take another photo and send it on again with a time stamp, council pays up straight away after that.  

I also had exactly the same happen a little while ago.

Apart from the obvious - the wheel and the tyre needed replacing -  the tracking was massively out of kilter even though it was not "pulling " much. As has already been suggested, you need to get it checked out ASAP.

In addition, however, it also transpired that the wheel bearing was shot, nothing much audible at first, but after a short time I started to  hear the obvious sounds  and, when that was being repaired, it was also found that the shock was leaking. Altogether an expensive experience.

7 minutes ago, lastgasp said:

I also had exactly the same happen a little while ago.

Apart from the obvious - the wheel and the tyre needed replacing -  the tracking was massively out of kilter even though it was not "pulling " much. As has already been suggested, you need to get it checked out ASAP.

In addition, however, it also transpired that the wheel bearing was shot, nothing much audible at first, but after a short time I started to  hear the obvious sounds  and, when that was being repaired, it was also found that the shock was leaking. Altogether an expensive experience.

Good point - I forgot to mention I also had the n/s/f wheel bearing replaced due to a drone developing months after hitting a 'pothole'. It was actually a drain cover on the inside apex of a bend - the surrounding asphalt had been cut out prior to repair but there was no warning, no road cone, nothing. Hit it at >60mph...

Went back the next day (a Sunday!) to photograph it and it had been filled :@

Wheel bearings seem to be made of cheese...I know of other owners having multiple replacements under warranty too.

On 01/12/2017 at 17:00, seanbrady49 said:

Not sure if this happens in the UK but over here in Ireland the council have to pay for any damage caused by a pot hole if it has not been repaired (pot hole) whether its the wheel or suspension , you send the council a lette/email with photo's of the damage and the pothole and a receipt for the cost of repair, if they have not fixed the pothole take another photo and send it on again with a time stamp, council pays up straight away after that.  

Even if you can't get the local authority to cough up, always report it, so they can't plead ignorance when it next happens - they have a reasonable period of time to act after they first become aware, so get the clock ticking.

2 hours ago, TheOctaviator said:

Even if you can't get the local authority to cough up, always report it, so they can't plead ignorance when it next happens - they have a reasonable period of time to act after they first become aware, so get the clock ticking.

Reported it as I was waiting for the AA. Nothing much to claim at the moment as the rim is fine, and apart from being a tracking check, no monetary loss has  occurred.