Used Octy buying advice

Well Hi everyone :)

I’m usually found on the Citigo page but after a short 12 months it appears my Citigo may no longer be fit for my needs. Fear not, for it will replace my partners car. I am looking for a bigger car and as a former Volvo owner I am drawn to a V60 but I’m also drawn to an Octavia Estate. I’ve narrowed down a few that I like and I’ve found one in particular that stands out to me. I guess what I’m after is some thoughts from existing owners; what are these cars really like? From experience of my Citigo I am concerned about interior quality long term and the media interface is a minefield I’m struggling to get my head around.

I’m only considering Elegance/SE-L spec cars and on my wish list is cruise control, heated seats and iPod integration. Those are must haves and it is so hard to find a used car with those (I’d have imagined easy to find but I am wrong) options! I’d like the ACC and other nice bits but I’m not really bothered, passive cruise and seat heaters are on the must have list (I miss them both massively in the Citigo). Most cars I’m looking at I believe from my searching have the MIB1 infotainment, is it really that bad? Most of the cars have the bigger screen but even the smaller screen ones seem to have sat nav, is one better to have than the other? What’s the crack with iPod? Is it true that the Colombus will do iPod but the other one won’t unless it has the MDI thingy? Is the sliding drawer cubbby big enough for a large phone like an iPhone 7 Plus as that’s what I’d be trying to fit in there and also what mods can be done with VCDS for these cars? Do the folding mirrors fold on locking for example. Is KESSY full keyless or just keyless start? Dealers are most unhelpful with this stuff so I thought I’d ask here.

Any thoughts on the 2.0 150 TDi engine? I’m not a diesel person really but I just can’t find a petrol one to buy so pretty much the default choice, not interested in a 1.6 TDi. When your other car has 400 bhp, 100 odd isn’t enough!!

Ideally I’d like a DSG box but I’m struggling to find one in budget, which is about £11000.

Thanks very much :D

11K for all that kit, highly unlikely I'm afraid. If you really want DSG go for the 1.4 petrol engine (140BHP) very quiet and quick. MIB1 is ok but I found using an SD card was easier than using my phone. 

Only heated seats I have ever seen was when my friends Astra caught fire. :D

At this point in time, I would stay well clear of any diesel engine. Recommended by Gordon Brown so enough said. 

• Like 1

Is it? The car I’ve found is £9800 with 18 inch alloys, full leather, heated seats, cruise, Columbus, KESSY, xenons and ABL, park assist, heated screen and power bootlid. It’s a white 2014 2.0 150 TDi with 74k on the clock. It does have a spec higher than the majority of the cars I have been coming across which is nice.

I’d rather not use the SD card because I use Amazon Music from my phone or all the stuff I already have downloaded. Rather than copying it all over to the card I’d rather leave it but there is BT music I guess. Seems a shame the infotainment is poor, my old Volvo C30 had full iPod functionality and BT music in 2008 and it was hidden away in the centre console rather than on show which I’d prefer but you can’t have everything I suppose :)

Ideally I'd not have a diesel but I’ll be doing something in the region of 20-25k miles a year in the car so I’m not all that fussed really.

Kessy is keyless entry and keyless start.

MIB1 isn't so bad if you have Columbus; the main losses being the Android Auto / Apple Carplay features. MIB2 Amundsen is noticeably better than MIB1 on Screen size and resolution. I think you are correct; Columbus has iPod connectivity built in, but Amundsen needs the MDI.

Folding mirrors can be coded to fold on lock. There's a bunch of VCDS tweaks which are covered by the sticky thread in this section.

• Like 1

I’ve just been looking through that, seems you can do an awful lot to them :) Columbus is fitted to the white car so that has my attention. It has quite a lot of kit fitted so I may have to make a phone call tomorrow to see what’s what. I guess the KESSY on the O3 has no buttons visible, just sensors? My Mercedes and old C30 have visible buttons for the keyless entry. Do the KESSY cars still have key fobs with folding blades? I ask because I have seen a car advertised as having KESSY but the keys in the picture have folding blades? I’d have thought they’d just be a blank fob if no key is needed with a pull out emergency key type deal, or is that pic just of another cars set of keys?

21 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

I’ve just been looking through that, seems you can do an awful lot to them :) Columbus is fitted to the white car so that has my attention. It has quite a lot of kit fitted so I may have to make a phone call tomorrow to see what’s what. I guess the KESSY on the O3 has no buttons visible, just sensors? My Mercedes and old C30 have visible buttons for the keyless entry. Do the KESSY cars still have key fobs with folding blades? I ask because I have seen a car advertised as having KESSY but the keys in the picture have folding blades? I’d have thought they’d just be a blank fob if no key is needed with a pull out emergency key type deal, or is that pic just of another cars set of keys?

The fob looks the same with Kessy; i.e. a folding blade even though you don't need to use it. Guessing it was cheaper than design a different fob for cars with Kessy. You just have an on/off button instead of the usual key ignition barrel. 

Touch sensitive buttons are on the front door handles for locking and unlocking. Boot also has one so you can unlock the boot without unlocking the rest of the car by lifting the boot handle.

• Like 1

That seems awfully cheap tbh but never mind, my Mercedes key lives in my bag and is never seen so I suppose it doesn’t really matter. Touch buttons sound nice though, more elegant than ‘proper’ buttons. 

Will be phoning about that white car tomorrow :)

Hi,

I have a 1.6 TDI SEL DSG estate, it's only 110 bhp but it's nippy enough in sports mode on the A roads, it's a 15 plate iirc, it doesn't have keyless entry or heated seats, but the Amundsen infotainment unit with Bluetooth connectivity for my Google pixel xl is quite good despite me still having display issues between the Spotify and the car screen. (Sore subject still at the moment:wondering:) I've never had an i phone so I'm not sure if yours will fit in the phone cubby, I know mine does, but I don't use it for the phone, just loose change.

I moved to the octy from a golf GTs, a definite trade down in the driver thrilling department, but as the golf was an 09 plate, the octy is a definite trade up in the comfort and equipment department, the build quality is really good and on a par with the golf but the way I look at it now, I'm getting an average of 50ish mpg now and I'm getting to and from work much more relaxed with the DSG and seeing as I'm doing in excess of 24,000 miles per year, that's a hell of a lot less stress per day B)

I hope you manage to find the right car to fit you're needs.

• Like 1

I do keep seeing 1.6’s about but I’m not sure, really would like a 2.0. The Citigo is slow but it’s a neat handling little thing so it can be forgiven. For the work I’d like it to do, the larger engine would be my preference. I guess as an SE-L yours has the newer infotainment without the CD player? Can you get Spotify up on the older unit? I’d switch to that over Amazon if I could, unless there’s a way to get that on the screen. Also, does anyone know if the Columbus system has a hard drive for music and if so, how much storage does it have?

Due to the position of the USB plug, if my phone were connected it’d have to go in the drawer as I couldn’t live with the cable lying around the cabin hence the question, I guess the only way to find out is to go and see it. I’ll enquire tomorrow but will have to wait for better weather to commit to going to Leeds to view it if the phone conversation goes well.

3 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

Just leaving to collect the new toy, a 2014 O3 VRS TDi DSG Estate :) Pics when I get back if it’s not dark!!

Good choice

If you have a Skoda may aswell be a VRS!!! 

Edited by JamiePvrs
  • Like 1

Nice! Normally I’d say go for petrol all day long, but I see you do big miles (>24k) so diesel is the only sensible option. 

Enjoy your new car. 

Mine is a 2014 vRS Estate too - love it! 

• Like 1

Thanks all, well I don’t like to mess around and tbh I wanted a vRS but I started looking at the Elegance/SE-L trim out of cost reasons but found more of the toys I wanted (auto box basically) on this one. Is pretty much standard vRS but it has full leather, winter pack and black pack that I can tell. It has all round park sensors too that were working when collected but didn’t when parked outside the house just now, I hope it’s juat because they are filthy but I’ll soon find out, if not, I’ll sort a repair under warranty :) 

The mod list for this one is quite short for now, just some VCDS adaptations and a few bits and bobs!

• Thanks 1

On 09/12/2017 at 23:57, SashaGrace said:

Due to the position of the USB plug, if my phone were connected it’d have to go in the drawer as I couldn’t live with the cable lying around the cabin hence the question, I guess the only way to find out is to go and see it. I’ll enquire tomorrow but will have to wait for better weather to commit to going to Leeds to view it if the phone conversation goes well.

When I plug my phone into the car I leave it on top of the drawer. I only use the draw to store the short USB cable when it's not in use.

• Like 1

That could be an option, but as I didn’t buy the white car with iPod compatibility, I bought a vRS with a Bolero stereo I am using a 64GB SD card for my music instead, which I have organised to match my phone. My iPhone 7 Plus literally fills the phonebox, no room to spare! Would never have been able to get a plug in there so this would have been the only solution in any case.

Still irks me that Skoda put the plug on show, fine if you don’t mind having a USB plugged in, but a second port hidden away for a phone wouldn’t have gone amiss. I used to drive base spec vans for work that were older than my car, and they had 2 USB plugs, with one out of the way. Shame Skoda couldn’t have done the same, though if ever I need a sat nav, I can charge my phone without running the cable past the gear-lever which is a positive.

I had c class before the Skoda. I have to say the 1.4 with DSG won me over, its not quite so good on mpg, 45+ never lower, but does drive much better. And much more space. I'm saving up for cruise 300 so should kept looking but this car was right place and price and best colour.

Heated seats are leather only? mega price on the merc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi SashaGrace,

By the looks of the sales photo - you got it from an Arnold Clark?  Could be wrong but I had very similar looking photos of mine!

How did you find the experience with them?  I had a couple of problems but nothing that didn't get sorted eventually.

Not sure if it's even present in the vRS etc, but perhaps worth noting that I managed to get my water pump replaced no questions asked on the AC standard 60-day (or whatever it is) warranty.

:thumbup:

• Like 1

Hi, no it came from V12 Sports & Classics in Hinckley. There’s lots of negative press about them but they also supplied my old C30 and I was happy then and happy now, no complaints at all. Most of the bad press seems to be surrounding the branches in Stoke & Warrington but there are plenty of happy customers like me out there too :) I’ll be doing the cambelt and water pump before the summer as I’m  getting paranoid about it! Car is now heading for 79k.

• Like 1