Snow experiences ?

... and last night was truly *bad*. 15cm of fresh slush, added to motorway speeds, complete darkness and that warp speed feeling because it's coming down so heavily... then it turns out the vibration is because there's blobs of snow refrozen to the asphalt.

Don't think I've ever been part of the traffic on 4 with less than 80km/h before, ever, except once on sheet ice (you know that's the case when putting the accelerator down causes wheelspin at 75km/h in 5th gear)... Octy was good. Not confidence-inspiring, but good. Only a couple of brown-trouser moments when hitting a pile of slush, and the stability when changing lanes was better than I expected. 

- Bret

20171212_194518.jpg

20171212_194541.jpg

Edited by brettikivi
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MattChr said:

Has anybody run CrossClimates and winter tyres? Appreciate the tread pattern is much better on snow but wondering how they compare on the icy conditions.

Been looking myself (again).

Set of Crossclimates for my car (17") = £450

Set of Continental WinterContact + set of 16" alloys = £600

Not sure what your budget is like.

Think I will bite the bullet and buy the full fat Continentals plus the alloys given I live atop a mountain/very steep hill; I really do love the Eagle F1's I am running on the car; but they are, as someone else said plus the "token stuck guy" hilariously bad in the slush and snow, otherwise brilliant.  Not only the travel to and from work in this weather I do like to make a January trip to Edinburgh which I didn't do last year.

So I am in the position of, as I see it:

• Change the tyres off the 17" rims every year as I do wish to remain on the F1's in the summer and buy a full set of 17" winter tyres or:
  • Change over to Crossclimates or:
  • Bite the bullet, pay the extra £150 and get a set of 16" alloys plus 16" Continental WinterContact TS860's or:
  • Just say sod it, abandon the car on the main road and hope no one hits it and have 5 years worth of having to declare on the insurance.

There are a few on this forum that do swear by Crossclimates; tyre review.  Good video on Youtube

Personally, I think I will be getting a few beers in me this weekend and getting the credit card out, beats an insurance claim or loss of earnings  :sadsmile:

Edited by BNT1985

I've bitten the bullet with alloys and winter tyres. The cost of changing the rubber over twice a year is horrific - costs even out after 3 years and I can "reclaim" some of the costs by selling the alloys when I change cars.

I was thinking more for the second car in the house, fitting CrossClimates would save me the hassle of swapping wheels over and manhandling them out of the shed twice a year! But would be good to know their limitations, as winter tyres have a grippier compound as well as the tread pattern.

1 hour ago, MattChr said:

I've bitten the bullet with alloys and winter tyres. The cost of changing the rubber over twice a year is horrific - costs even out after 3 years and I can "reclaim" some of the costs by selling the alloys when I change cars.

I was thinking more for the second car in the house, fitting CrossClimates would save me the hassle of swapping wheels over and manhandling them out of the shed twice a year! But would be good to know their limitations, as winter tyres have a grippier compound as well as the tread pattern.

cross climates are a good choice for the uk, especially the south of the country where we rarely see snow.  i am considering a set next time SWMBO's car needs tyres.  It's a c-max so doesnt need anything grippy/sporty and does a relatively low mileage each year.  Cross climates are a summer-bias all season tyre.  not as good as a proper summer tyre in the warm weather (but close) and not as good as a full winter in the snow, but much better than a summer tyre would be.

I like my PS4's far too much to run all-seasons in the summer, but for the school-run bus - not a bad choice these days.

I would also be looking at the Goodyear Vector 4S Gen2 and the new Conti all-season contact as they seem to be a bit better in the wet.

Ive decided to get two spare wheels with winter tyres on them so prob going for steel rims. Currentlty have 17" alloys. Any feedback as to what size and where i should get them?

bearing in mind that knowing the British weather we may not get any more snow

4 hours ago, chrisski said:

Ive decided to get two spare wheels with winter tyres on them so prob going for steel rims. Currentlty have 17" alloys. Any feedback as to what size and where i should get them?

bearing in mind that knowing the British weather we may not get any more snow

I hope you aren't going to mix winter and summer tyres on the car. With a bit of cold, wet weather, you will soon find out the meaning of oversteer if you do!

1 hour ago, BigEjit said:

I hope you aren't going to mix winter and summer tyres on the car. With a bit of cold, wet weather, you will soon find out the meaning of oversteer if you do!

Well ran winter tyres on front and and summer on back on old car with no problems. Know others here in Scotland who do the same.

1 hour ago, chrisski said:

Well ran winter tyres on front and and summer on back on old car with no problems. Know others here in Scotland who do the same.

I did exactly the same in the 80's relic that was the Toyota Tercel 4WD estate, and survived. Actually got through the deepest snow I  ever have at Widdop moor. Light weight, low power, narrow winter tyres, extra,low first gear.

Edited by Prezafab

It’s as important to have Winters on the Rear as the Front to maintain the stability of the Car through the enhanced grip you get. More likely to lose the backend with Summers or worse performing tyres on the back.

• Like 1

More important that you actually have driven vehicles like FWD ones where you put Winter / Better Traction Tyres on the Drive / Steering wheels, 

and different on the back, because it can work just fine in the real world. 

As many many people know that do it in less severe weather, so that just a pair goes on or off until full winter hits.

Repeating 'Expert' & others opinions etc that often has to do with Rear Wheel Drive or AWD vehicles is just following others opinions.

The problem with winters on one axle is not really to do with AWD RWD or FWD it is to do with braking. 

Less grip on the back when you brake hard you are likely swap ends. More grip on the back when you brake hard probably less overall braking but in a straight line. The rears may not do much braking but it is enough that there are effects when you have all but none compared to the front.

I mixed tyres in slippy weather once when I had two tyres go bang in as many days. Personally I won't do that again. I either change all 4 or put the grip on the back even if it is FWD

Really?   Why did they go 'bang',  were they crap tyres?   

Would they have gone bang if it was not winter time?   Was it potholes you hit?

As to put them on the back (winter tyres) and leave the no traction no action tyres on the front.  

Or actually maybe they are good, good treads, and actually the same as you might leave on the rear.

This classic pic comes out every year, 

as does the story of only fit to front and rear as those that fit just a pair this winter the same as last winter and winters for decades past just get on with it.

(Obviously now BMW do Front Wheel Drive cars, so get those Snow Socks or chains on the rear of the FWD BMW / MINI's)

imageproxy (2).jpeg

Edited by AwaoffSki

4 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

More important that you actually have driven vehicles like FWD ones where you put Winter / Better Traction Tyres on the Drive / Steering wheels, 

and different on the back, because it can work just fine in the real world. 

As many many people know that do it in less severe weather, so that just a pair goes on or off until full winter hits.

Repeating 'Expert' & others opinions etc that often has to do with Rear Wheel Drive or AWD vehicles is just following others opinions.

If you’re referring to my post then it’s not a repeat of anything else, it’s first hand experience. 

40 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

Tell us more then, what cars and tyres and where?  Lots of experience and why did you fit just a pair of winters or was this others cars?

Astra GTC 1.7 SRi  (130bhp FWD Manual) I changed Fronts to steels/all-seasons one day and had to go out before I got chance to change the rears. Can felt unstable under braking and turning in. I nearly lost it entering the Roundabout at Findern/Mickleover A38. Sorry I can’t recall the date/time but it was mid-November 2014 I’d guess and it was damp and overcast.

• Thanks 1

There you go then, fail to drive to the conditions or the vehicles abilities and crap happens.

So others drive with what they have on as tyres and electric or manual systems and dont drive like there are summer dry roads.

Remember if even fitting new tyres 'green' that they can be dangerous until worn in and the release agent off.

& then tyre pressures need setting.

Edited by AwaoffSki

Nope because the car was fine before and after that day, wasn’t the first time I’d driven that road in those conditions.

Not playing anymore. Good luck hooking someone else.

Edited by KevC_Derby

Nothing to do with hooking, not on a wind up, it is a serious thread,

obviously 4 matching tyres are sensible, but not always the only way to go if people know what they are fitting and doing.

Plenty drive winters for decades, every year even and live to old ages and without going backwards into ditches, or causing others to.

Some just think that driving on the public roads is a game and the vehicle or tyres are at fault. Sometimes they are as well as the driving.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/441267-lift-off-oversteer-tyres-or-suspension 

Edited by AwaoffSki