Traction control

are you holding down the TC button or just pressing it? You should see an orange symbol on the dash when it's turned off.

as for which mode, I'd say leave it in normal and switch off the TC only it the snow is really deep and the wheels aren't moving as a result.

Edited by Gumby

Press it down and it turns off traction control, hold it down for 3-5 seconds and the TC and ESP shuts down (to some degree). In our Scout its almost always off in the winter :tongueout:

Top right corner:

100D0B51-56D2-4688-AD65-1F3EB1FEB88E.jpg

33 minutes ago, ahenners said:

I don't think OP has the button in his model. 

OP have you looked in the infotainment settings under Car. Can't remember if there's an option to change its setting in there.

My 1.4TSI doesn't have the button, but there is a setting on the infotainment screen which only has 2 options - unlike the vRS which has 3 options.

42 minutes ago, ahenners said:

I don't think OP has the button in his model. 

OP have you looked in the infotainment settings under Car. Can't remember if there's an option to change its setting in there.

nope i dont have a button. ill look in the car thingy but havent seen it as sure i would have noticed it

Are you all sure that it is better OFF then ON on the snow?

On our old O2FL it was better off, as it was difficult to get out from parking spot, but on O3 we have never needed to switch it OFF. Simply way better algorithm was present there, braking the wheel with XDS system which would be spinning without traction, moving the torque to the wheel which has more traction.

6 minutes ago, nidza said:

Are you all sure that it is better OFF then ON on the snow?

On our old O2FL it was better off, as it was difficult to get out from parking spot, but on O3 we have never needed to switch it OFF. Simply way better algorithm was present there, braking the wheel with XDS system which would be spinning without traction, moving the torque to the wheel which has more traction.

I agree with your assessments exactly.:biggrin:

Disagree on the blanket "always off" statements, just like the "Leave it alone" ones. It's situation dependent. Yes, the ASR algorithm is pretty good now, but it's still no substitute for an experienced driver with good tyres and an understanding of the effects of their right foot.

I've seen sitting and spinning with ASR off, just like ASR off can cut engine power too much when trying to negotiate a slippery hill. I've also seen it regulate nicely in the newer stuff, especially when leaving T-Junctions sharpish, but I don't understand it well enough to prefer it on over off when I really need to get a move on. Bear in mind here I'm running winter tyres and seriously poopy conditions - yesterday went out to the tip and pressing the accelerator at 55km/h resulted in wheelspin, it was that icy.... and winter tyres will make a hell of a difference.

- Bret

so pressing and holding the Traction control button puts it into sports mode? i take it this allows a little bit more slip before the safety net catches you? 

I have pressed it and put it into sport mode but other than the odd slippery roundabout exit it is hard to tell what the effects are. Any one have any ideas? 

Edited by JamiePvrs

If ESC-Sport is on, it should interfere only if you start loosing your car. If it didn't happen, just wheel-spinning than it is perfectly normal it didn't assist.

@brettikivi there is no driver's skill which can substitute assists of a limited slip differential - something ASR with its XDS algorithm more-less successfully imitates. There is no way to control proper torque distribution between wheels on a not even traction surface, that's why XDS equipped car are most likely have no benefits of switching ASR off - under any circumstance where traction is under question. On the good, clean road, with even traction on both wheels, you can get a bit of more acceleration when starting from still, driving in a straight line.

VAQ equipped cars, like the one I am driving, can benefit of switching off such assistances completely, where applicable, as there is a separate system with multiple clutches, electronically controlled, which directs torque to each of the wheels correctly to maximize traction. Cars with braking simulation (through ASR) will loose traction fully, if single will loses it, when ASR is switched off. You simply can't move, although another wheel has a perfectly enough traction.

We have two Octavias, older one with XDS, newer one with VAQ, and before I was driving Alfa 159, with a VDC and ASR systems similar to ESC and ASR/XDS VAG uses. Proven so many times on the snow that it is way better when the systems are ON, not OFF. Alfa didn't have different driving modes, had options to fully switch OFF all assistances (not like Škoda, where they interfere eventually), but on a snow it worked really well. It was allowing a lot of fun in driving and almost loosing car, before it actually interfered. Great for adrenaline rush, you already see yourself in the water channel, but then a parachute activates. :)

Anyway, since there is a button, it is up to you how to use it. My advice is to keep it on.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JamiePvrs said:

so pressing and holding the Traction control button puts it into sports mode? i take it this allows a little bit more slip before the safety net catches you? 

I have pressed it and put it into sport mode but other than the odd slippery roundabout exit it is hard to tell what the effects are. Any one have any ideas? 

Yes, that is correct. 

Our Octavia Scout 180TSI is a lot of fun to drive on ice and snow with the ESP in sport mode. I have pushed the car pretty far without any interference from the system. Unlike the Haldex 4, the fifth generation is much more responsive (almost like TorSen 40/60) and the car is easy to drift - the rear loses grip fast if you provoke it hard enough. If you get to much angle on the second skid the ESP will engage and straighten the car for you.

On ‎14‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 19:12, chrisski said:

My 2014 octavia estate black edition 1.6 tdi has traction control which i cant seem to switch off esp when im going through snow which resulted in spinning of front wheels.

Is it poss to switch off? Whats best mode for snow? Normal, sport or eco?

Look through the infotainment & there will be a TSC off section...there has to be its an EU/car law safety requirement.

AS far as I am aware all the MQB ABS modules have just two versions, one for manual handbrake the other for electric handbrake.

They all have basic indirect TPMS & ESC/TSC coding built into the ABS unit. The ABS unit has two aux out pins, one for TPMS button the other for TCS/ESC button.

However for cheapness the factory only gives you the options via the touchscreen as the ABS sends data mainly over the CAN wires.

You can retro fit both buttons (I have ) which saves you having to switch the infotainment unit on & remember where the hell the setting is...

You WILL have basic spec of TCS on or off...looking at your car....(as I did) ...but you can open the coding in the ABS unit to give you TSC on/off & ESC sport....or even ESC OFF..

Even with winter tyres with 6mm tread I find certain situations I have to turn the TSC off....I prefer a bit of wheel spin to clear under the tyres ...& the owners handbook will tell you this also...

• 2 months later...
On 19/12/2017 at 20:16, fabdavrav said:

Look through the infotainment & there will be a TSC off section...there has to be its an EU/car law safety requirement.

AS far as I am aware all the MQB ABS modules have just two versions, one for manual handbrake the other for electric handbrake.

They all have basic indirect TPMS & ESC/TSC coding built into the ABS unit. The ABS unit has two aux out pins, one for TPMS button the other for TCS/ESC button.

However for cheapness the factory only gives you the options via the touchscreen as the ABS sends data mainly over the CAN wires.

You can retro fit both buttons (I have ) which saves you having to switch the infotainment unit on & remember where the hell the setting is...

You WILL have basic spec of TCS on or off...looking at your car....(as I did) ...but you can open the coding in the ABS unit to give you TSC on/off & ESC sport....or even ESC OFF..

Even with winter tyres with 6mm tread I find certain situations I have to turn the TSC off....I prefer a bit of wheel spin to clear under the tyres ...& the owners handbook will tell you this also...

How did you retro fit the TCS/ESC button?

14 hours ago, match14 said:

How did you retro fit the TCS/ESC button?

Bought the ESC button module from VW dealers & connected to the correct wires...no coding required...but my car is MK7 Golf...

However all MQB cars inc yours use the same base electrical system....

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, fabdavrav said:

Bought the ESC button module from VW dealers & connected to the correct wires...no coding required...but my car is MK7 Golf...

Is the ESC button on the Golf 7 a separate switch?

On the Octavia IIRC the switches are all in a single block so to get the ESC switch you have to replace the whole block - if IIRC...

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SWBoy said:

Is the ESC button on the Golf 7 a separate switch?

On the Octavia IIRC the switches are all in a single block so to get the ESC switch you have to replace the whole block - if IIRC...

same as the MK7 Golf....no separate switches, blocks of three or modules....its the rows down each side of the gearstick...I have replaced both sides....& also added TPMS switch instead of having to find the TPMS in the Infotainment...

costly but worth it IMHO...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fabdavrav said:

same as the MK7 Golf....no separate switches, blocks of three or modules....its the rows down each side of the gearstick...I have replaced both sides....& also added TPMS switch instead of having to find the TPMS in the Infotainment...

On the Octavia it's a single double row block in front of the gearstick.

1 hour ago, SWBoy said:

On the Octavia it's a single double row block in front of the gearstick.

yeah I know..

Items 8 & 9

https://skoda.7zap.com/en/cz/octavia/oct/2015-753/9/941-941050/

I was just talking about what I had to do on my MK7 Golf...