Pagid vs Brembo vs Bosch brake discs and pads

Happy New year folks!

Planning on replacing my front brake discs and pads this summer, but unsure which one to get using Eurocarparts while they're having their sales.

I have read mixed reviews on both Pagid and Brembo from the web. 

Any thought welcomed.

Cheers

Various opinions abound.Pagid used to be a top tier brand many years ago, its now part of TMD which also own Textar, Jurid,  and Mintex among others. I've seen comments by mechanics that say they are rubbish nowadays but many users say they are ok. Some reports about fast rate of wear. Its an Aftermarket product.

Brembo is associated with Ferrari, but dont get excited, the brembo you buy is another aftermarket brand and not made in the same place as Ferrari parts. Ive seen a number of reports of fake brembo parts on fleabay.

Bosch are OE suppliers but the parts we buy are the aftermarket versions, however of the three, Bosch is the one I would use. The last 3 sets of Bosch pads I bought (for different models) were made in Italy and come packed in a box with a hologram seal. Assuring that they are genuine.

ATE (continental group) is my preferred brake option, but sometimes they are too dear.

All pads must comply with ECE r90, however discs do not have mandatory compliance for cars built before 2016.

Edited by xman

Thanks both, and very interesting comment xman. 

Pagid fast wear rate don't appeal to me.

What about Textar pads, are they any good? Is it better to buy same brand name of disc and pad or doesn't really make any difference?

2 hours ago, 247 said:

Thanks both, and very interesting comment xman. 

Pagid fast wear rate don't appeal to me.

What about Textar pads, are they any good? Is it better to buy same brand name of disc and pad or doesn't really make any difference?

One thing I do notice about Textar are the pics show they have nicely bonded anti squeal/noise shims and are clearly marked which is inner/outer pad.

Don't think its important to match disc/pad brands. Most brands claim their products are top quality, Bosch do make interesting claims on their aftermarket pads/discs and how they are made.

https://uk.bosch-automotive.com/en_GB/parts_and_accessories_2/service_parts_1/brakes_1/disk_brakes/disk_brakes_1/brake_pads_1

https://uk.bosch-automotive.com/en_GB/parts_and_accessories_2/service_parts_1/brakes_1/disk_brakes/brake_discs_1/brake_disks_1

Most discs are "coated" (aka painted) to stop non friction surfaces rusting.  Not sure about Brembo, last time (several years ago) I used them they were simply oiled.

In the end you get what you pay for. I think I'd rather spend an extra £20 rather than a cold and wet afternoon covered in brake dust, bruising my knuckles and knees, and putting my back out again.

Next change I've got ceramic ATE pads to try out, claimed to last much longer (both pad and disc) and very low dust. Cost just an extra £20 on an ECP 50% sale that they have from time to time, or a few quid more on Carparts4less (Which is ecp by another name). If that works out as claimed, that's the way I will definitely be going in future.

http://www.ate-brakes.com/products/disc-brakes/ate-ceramic-brake-pads/

Edited by xman

I've used all three of these in various combinations of the last few years on different cars within the family and never had a problem with any. No noticeable difference in wear or performance.

At the end of the day I've say it's down to personnel preference, I tend to go with whoever's the cheapest at the time out of the three. - although saying that the pagid rear pads for my Superb with the same price as the bosch, but I opted for the pagid as they came with new anti-vibration springs whereas the bosch didn't.

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 16:23, xman said:

Various opinions abound.Pagid used to be a top tier brand many years ago, its now part of TMD which also own Textar, Jurid,  and Mintex among others. I've seen comments by mechanics that say they are rubbish nowadays but many users say they are ok. Some reports about fast rate of wear. Its an Aftermarket product.

Brembo is associated with Ferrari, but dont get excited, the brembo you buy is another aftermarket brand and not made in the same place as Ferrari parts. Ive seen a number of reports of fake brembo parts on fleabay.

Bosch are OE suppliers but the parts we buy are the aftermarket versions, however of the three, Bosch is the one I would use. The last 3 sets of Bosch pads I bought (for different models) were made in Italy and come packed in a box with a hologram seal. Assuring that they are genuine.

ATE (continental group) is my preferred brake option, but sometimes they are too dear.

All pads must comply with ECE r90, however discs do not have mandatory compliance for cars built before 2016.

You say that Jurid is now part of TMD Friction, but earlier, for another reason, I looked up Jurid as my wife's August 2015 Polo has Jurid pads fitted at factory in South Africa, and Jurid are showing as "Jurid by Honeywell", but then when I clicked on their "contact" page, the link was to Federal Mogul, ie FM which VW now seem to use as their factory fitted windscreen wipers, though I don't know which wiper brand has ended up being part of the FM group.

Maybe 17 or so years ago, VW did tend to use Pagid pads on the front and Textar pads on the rear at initial assembly at their factories, now it seems that the main importer of Pagid parts into UK has convinced them to repackage some other parts, which might explain the drop in quality, its a pity that big business can call the shots on what were some well respected companies.

I'm sure that I read some where that the Turkish government either encourage or turn a blind eye to companies in Turkey churning out copy parts of Pagid brake pads, I think that there might even be an official manufacturing plant for Pagid brake pads in Turkey as well, very strange and makes ebay buying of Pagid brake parts a bit of a gamble.

You are probably right, I fitted some Jurid discs and pads on the Octavia, and there were labels with disclaimers that Jurid are not associated with Honeywell (who owned Bendix). They were made in France.

Not too bad, the discs seem good, but the pads throw tons of black dust, and one side is a persistent squealer despite best efforts to reclean/redress/regrease etc.

Edited by xman

I always get brembo HC discs for cars at work. The pagid pads from ecp are ok but we've had some issues with them as the ones ecp sell are made under licence to a cheaper spec.

Brembo pads from ecp are better and are what I use in my Fabia.

Textar are also good and are a OEM manufacturer for Mercedes. There pads from ecp do seem to be well made.

ATE stuff is very good bit your pay the prices for it. 

Quote "The pagid pads from ecp are ok but we've had some issues with them as the ones ecp sell are made under licence to a cheaper spec."  - I hope that that is not true, but I'd expect it is, I can't think what or why Pagid are allowing that to happen, ie providing their name and repackaging to some thing that ECP want to sell cheaply.  What I do know is, in general, ECP just pick a rough selection of Pagid pad kits that cover most of the market, a bit like the compressed range of Bosch car batteries that Costco hold, this can lead to most kits not having anti-squeal shims fitted to them which can cause a bit of noise! This annoyed me enough for me to communicate with TMD Friction UK who said sorry, or close to that, and sent me out FOC the correct kits for my cars as per their on line catalogue.  So, maybe if enough people take that approach TMD Friction will assist ECP in stocking the right parts for our cars at the right price, and not just something close at a good price! Same goes for the "smaller than original" genuine OEM AC compressors!

Pagid disc seem pretty good but their pads were properly noisy when braking from speed and then eventually noisy all the time. Replaced pads with brembo and they were as always spot on. 

Tgink ate do some 340mm now for the vrs so they’d be certainly worth a shot. Never had issue with brembo tho 

15 hours ago, xman said:

According to this old page, ECP have exclusive UK distribution rights for the "Pagid Brand"

https://pagid.com/2013/11/27/2525-warranty/

Yes, I did not want to actually say the name of the importer!   Unfortunately I seem to remember it is or was the same with ATE service parts!  I seem to remember ranting to ATE sales UK about the fact that their sole importer was refusing to supply me with a second set of ATE Power Discs, that got sorted out quickly and I was given a contact name and number at ECP main warehouse and they supplied me with a second pair for my Passat.

13 hours ago, Esseesse200 said:

Pagid disc seem pretty good but their pads were properly noisy when braking from speed and then eventually noisy all the time. Replaced pads with brembo and they were as always spot on. 

Tgink ate do some 340mm now for the vrs so they’d be certainly worth a shot. Never had issue with brembo tho 

Now, if Pagid did supply the pads to that car at the factory, and I'm sure that they would not have, and you found the "original fit" brake pad number in their on line cat, if you fitted them you would not have any issues!  Only weakness with that way of working is, unless you contacted TMD Friction UK directly, your chances of being able to buy the correct kit of Pagid pads in UK would be zero!

18 minutes ago, rum4mo said:

Now, if Pagid did supply the pads to that car at the factory, and I'm sure that they would not have, and you found the "original fit" brake pad number in their on line cat, if you fitted them you would not have any issues!  Only weakness with that way of working is, unless you contacted TMD Friction UK directly, your chances of being able to buy the correct kit of Pagid pads in UK would be zero!

Sorry for the confusion, thought I’d edited this post. Forgot I was in the Fabia section not the Octavia section... ok so I had brembo 288mm discs and pads on the Fabia the Fabia and they were ace.. so upgraded the brakes to 312mm and went with brembo xtra and brembo pads. Superb 

On the Octavia vrs I had pagid 340mm discs and pads and they were noisy and the pads wore quick so changed pads for brembo and they were good. 

Hile that clears it up lol

7 minutes ago, Esseesse200 said:

Sorry for the confusion, thought I’d edited this post. Forgot I was in the Fabia section not the Octavia section... ok so I had brembo 288mm discs and pads on the Fabia the Fabia and they were ace.. so upgraded the brakes to 312mm and went with brembo xtra and brembo pads. Superb 

On the Octavia vrs I had pagid 340mm discs and pads and they were noisy and the pads wore quick so changed pads for brembo and they were good. 

Hile that clears it up lol

For my posting that did not matter really as it would be more the type/disc size of brake which dictated which/who supplied the factory pads 'd think, so no problem there!

Edit:- my posting was just more of the same rant over trying to save money by buying the same items as fitted at factory only to find that ECP were supplying something that was not quite the same, but supposedly from the same manufacturer - which in most people's book should mean "the same".

As I've said a few times, I've never ever used Brembo brake discs/pads, but there is still time for that as I can't be bothered contacting TMD Friction every time ECP supply me with the "correct" but maybe "not same as" parts - ECP could stop all this happening if they wanted, but I'm sure they are too tight to do that, I'd pay a bit more if they offered the correct TMD Friction brake parts as an option, you know the thing, be honest and have a "Lookie Likie" section and a "Correct Parts" section - what a great idea??  Go on ECP I challenge you!

Edited by rum4mo

Pads arrived in a damaged box with slight contamination on one of the pads. Definitely going back to sender.

The other concern is, it's made in China and slightly obvious on the finishing coat. I'm I right to conclude that most of these German brand names product quality are slightly dropping. 

Edited by 247

49 minutes ago, 247 said:

Pads arrived in a damaged box with slight contamination on one of the pads. Definitely going back to sender.

The other concern is, it's made in China and slightly obvious on the finishing coat. I'm I right to conclude that most of these German brand names product quality are slightly dropping. 

Is that Bosch supplied by ECP?

I'm surprised, all my pads/discs made in Italy. Was the box sealed with a hologram label?

I suspect you have fake parts.

Yes from ECP. Has hologram label sealed but pointless as box came torn open on one side. 

So do you think i shouldn't bother with an exchange?

Edited by 247

Wouldn't fit anything made in china on safety critical things like brakes. Looks like ECP are doing a "pagid" thing with bosch too! I would be inclined to contact Bosch uk and check whether these pads are genuine.

As it was damaged just reject. They should pick up at their cost.

Order ATE, Textar or Brembo. Let us know how you get on.

If you have a local ecp or gsf store you could also go in and check the goods out before accepting.

WOAH!     I've just checked the Bosch discs I bought at Christmas. MADE IN CHINA! They are going back.......

Edited by xman