The final curtain

weasley

All being well, today will be my last full day of Yeti ownership, for tomorrow it will be part-exchanged for a new Volvo XC60.  That will make nearly 6 years of ownership, largely trouble-free (and most trouble I had was actually caused by the dealers rather than a problematic car).  It has been a largely reliable, fun, immensely practical vehicle and now I think about it is probably the longest I have kept any car.

One question: we had a towbar fitted and therefore I have the rear crash bar in the garage at home.  Does one typically send this off with the car?  Does one keep it?  Throw it away?  Pass it on to someone who is removing a towbar?  We were planning to chuck it in the boot and let the dealer decide what to do with it but I was wondering what experience people have of buying a Yeti with a towbar already fitted - do you get the crash bar as well?

1 hour ago, weasley said:

All being well, today will be my last full day of Yeti ownership....

Sorry to see you go (although I bet you don't, really; part of the furniture :giggle: !).  Nice Volvo, if a bit big. 

Longer, yes, but actually a touch narrower and lower than the Yeti (integrated roof rails will be part of that).

2 hours ago, weasley said:

One question: we had a towbar fitted and therefore I have the rear crash bar in the garage at home.  Does one typically send this off with the car?  Does one keep it?  Throw it away?  Pass it on to someone who is removing a towbar?  We were planning to chuck it in the boot and let the dealer decide what to do with it but I was wondering what experience people have of buying a Yeti with a towbar already fitted - do you get the crash bar as well?

You'd be better off refitting the crash bar and flogging the tow bar :biggrin:

2 hours ago, weasley said:

All being well, today will be my last full day of Yeti ownership, for tomorrow it will be part-exchanged for a new Volvo XC60. 

Enjoy your new Volvo. Sorry to see you go but inevitably we will lose a lot of Yeti owners in the future as they transition to alternative current vehicles. I bought a new Yeti SE-L to replace an older Yeti in March 2017 so should be good for a few years yet. Problem will be what to replace it with but am wishfully thinking the new "small" Skoda SUV promised for late 2019 might be suitable, probably Seat Arona based but Skoda'ised like the Karoq v Ateca. i.e. more comfortable, less overtly sporty and with plusher, lighter interiors. Hoping anyway but I guess by then there will be a lot more choice from all auto manufacturers and who knows maybe practical electric or hybrid versions. One thing I am sure of is that there will be many, many interesting changes in motoring and cars over the next few years.

1 hour ago, Clive said:

You'd be better off refitting the crash bar and flogging the tow bar :biggrin:

Given time I might have done this, but it’s off at 8:00 tomorrow and it’ll be a long enough task tonight just mucking out the interior, removing the dashcam and retrieving my CDs!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

S’gone. :crying:

The XC60 is, though, an awesome car.  Yes, it’s in a different league so not a direct competitor but we had a chance to upgrade due to circumstances and always liked the Volvo SUVs (and brand in general).

99EE0F13-62AD-4198-9697-B8C31C72DCB4.jpeg

• Like 2

I'm sure you'll be very happy with the Volvo. I used to have an 850 estate, great seats, great engine (petrol) great car all round. Hope yours proves to be as good as ours was.

Sure you will be happy with "baby Sven" ..... we have had a Volvo somewhere in the fleet for the past 55 years (not all me but my parents as well ... I'm not that old :))

Never a bad word about any of them, but while I'm sure you shall miss the Yeti, I'm also sure you will appreciate the Volvo as it grows on you. Enjoy!

Edited by TruckbusUK

On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 14:36, weasley said:

Longer, yes, but actually a touch narrower and lower than the Yeti (integrated roof rails will be part of that).

Narrower?  No.

Yeti width including mirrors: 1956 mm

XC60 width including mirrors: 2117 mm

A Yeti fits in my garage.  No way does either the old or the new XC60 fit.

Enjoy the new car!

Guest FurryFriend

Enjoy your Volvo. 

I've had several Volvos. Mostly 940 saloons and estates.  Tough, ultra reliable, safe  and very capable, but when Volvo dropped their tradition estates, we moved to other marques. 

Same old story. They swapped day to day usefullness for the 'chelsea tractor image' which isn't what we buy cars for. 

Enjoy.

Probably the best built cars for European and UK weather & road conditions. Also most comfortable interiors.

ie Heating and ventilation and cold start up, no misting windows and freezing inside glass. 

Odd how other European car manufactures (even Chinese or Japanese owned ones) can not do like Volvo do and SAAB did. 

I gave the dealer the option of binning it or refitting it, they said they would refit it as I wanted the towbar moved to my current car.

In the end we were in such a rush to get to the dealer we forgot about it, so it is still in my garage (if anybody wants one...?!).  I did, however, manage to remember to remove the LED light from the boot and refit the original lamp (I had forgotten just how dim it was).  A family member has a Yeti and will probably be getting the roofbars and this lamp.  I also rediscovered that I had the original luggage netting in the boot, still unopened, plus the little plastic curved 'bin' thing.

PS - we do all miss the Yeti, especially the kids, but OMG is that Volvo nice!

On 1/7/2018 at 10:14, weasley said:

S’gone. :crying:

The XC60 is, though, an awesome car.  Yes, it’s in a different league so not a direct competitor but we had a chance to upgrade due to circumstances and always liked the Volvo SUVs (and brand in general).

99EE0F13-62AD-4198-9697-B8C31C72DCB4.jpeg

Very nice!  I must admit that the XC60 and XC90 are the classiest most discreet SUV's on the road at the mo, IMO.  The latest XC90 has the best interior I've been in.

I'd love a V60 Polestar but the cash cupboard is bare. 

Edited by penguin17

I’m not selling the towbar, that stayed on the Yeti. When you fit one you have to remove a crash beam from behind the bumper - this is what I am left with.

Having watched mine being installed I reckon I could do it myself.  I did install the wiring loom myself, but as mine was built with ‘towbar prep’ from the factory this makes things immeasurably easier.

That said, I am unsure of the ‘rules’ regarding fitting towbar sand whether they are supposed to be fitted by an authorised fitter.

Nothing to stop anyone fitting a tow bar, and I will agree that fitting the actual bar is probably in the capabilities of most people. However, having seen the wiring fitting on mine, I would leave that to people who know what they are doing removing trim panels, etc, especially if the car does not have tow bar prep. Plus you still have to find someone to do the recoding.

Quite right. It looks like you must fit a type-approved towbar but can DIY.

I had mine coded by the local dealer.  I used an OEM wiring loom and module; I would never use a ‘universal’ wiring relay.