Karoq Day One - First Impressions

Woody37

2.0 TDI SE AWD DSG in Quartz Grey

I say "day", I collected it at 2.00 PM, nursed her home before the local school run lunacy erupted and then took the first proper spin this evening, a 50 mile mix of M25, A and B roads, roundabouts and some urban speedhumps.

In short, I absolutely love this car immediately. The Yeti 1.2 TSi DSG it replaces was a joy, but this takes the interior space, build quality, ride comfort and rounded appeal to a whole new level. The ride is cosseting but by no means soft or spongey.

Pulling away it felt sluggish at first, feathering the throttle as we did in the peppy petrol 1.2 TSi, but given the weight of toe two tonnes of metal deserves it soon felt fine and the DSG is as smooth and seamless as expected. This evening on the M25 and on dual carriageways pulling away from roundabouts the effortless mid-range pull and mild growl of the engine brought a broad smile. Some serious grunt to be exploited once the sensible miles are done :)

One minor gripe with the Yeti DSG (7 speed) was its wish to overgear. At 30 MPH it would be in 6th and anything over on the flat it would go into 7th, feeling laboured as a result. You got used to blipping the throttle to persuade it back down, or knocking the lever over to Manual, but it was a mild PITA.

This DSG is quite different with 30 MPH settling in 4th and 7th only coming into play at 60 MPH+

Inside there are some lovely quirks and practicalities, building on the Yeti's charm. Someone at Skoda design has kids, and a dog, and goes supermarket shopping. Love the two velcrose bottomed right-angled grips in the boot that can hold bags or boxes in place. Really love the trays on the back of the front seats that have three tilt angles - iPad/tablet for v young, iPad/tablet for older, horizontal table with slide out drink holder for all. Love the umbrella under the passenger seat! - All this in the SE model.

First impressions are that this is the perfect family car, with enough performance, comfort and practicality for all ages and needs. Back of the net!

• Like 4

I drove some more happy miles today and it gets better and better.

One feature I unexpectedly love is the paddle shifts that come with DSG even on the SE model. Rather than using kick-down, just pull the left hand paddle towards tyou o drop a gear and she flys!

MPG just over 40 on mixed driving which I expect to improve with mileage and learning the car's ways better.

Final thought for now is on the stop-start. On my Audi A3 1.4 TSi DSG this works on the brake. At traffic lights, when at the front of the queue, if you want to start the engine before red-amber you just lift your foot a fraction and it restarts. On the Karoq it restarts when you push the accelerator? Maybe Skodas are like that, but it will take some getting used to and I would over-ride it here in South London's rush-hour crawls.

• Like 1

I have found that the engines cuts back in either when the hand brake is on and you dip the clutch or when the road is flat and in neutral but no handbrake and again dipping the clutch. Did not try the throttle pedal but mine was/is a manual version so do not know if that makes a difference but will try tomorrow before giving it back in the afternoon:crying:.

Enjoy your car Woody37.

21 minutes ago, Woody37 said:

I drove some more happy miles today and it gets better and better.

One feature I unexpectedly love is the paddle shifts that come with DSG even on the SE model. Rather than using kick-down, just pull the left hand paddle towards tyou o drop a gear and she flys!

MPG just over 40 on mixed driving which I expect to improve with mileage and learning the car's ways better.

Final thought for now is on the stop-start. On my Audi A3 1.4 TSi DSG this works on the brake. At traffic lights, when at the front of the queue, if you want to start the engine before red-amber you just lift your foot a fraction and it restarts. On the Karoq it restarts when you push the accelerator? Maybe Skodas are like that, but it will take some getting used to and I would over-ride it here in South London's rush-hour crawls.

strange, i viewed Edition 4 x 4 DSG today to my surprise it didn't have paddles even though spec sheet agrees with your statement

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Orville said:

All Karoq trim levels with DSG get flappy paddles. Perhaps the Dealer took a non-UK spec car for demo?

i know but this was RHD

are they microscopic size that i needed to stick my neck out and look behind the steering wheel?

6 minutes ago, Woody37 said:

The paddles are quite discrete, behind the indicator and screen wash/wipe stalks. I would be amazed if they were not there at all!

i see, this is setup i am used to, might take take to adjust to Karoq's

Image result for bmw 3 series paddle shift

Just had a look, but too dark for good photos. The Karoq paddles are very discrete, only just visible + and - signs tucked behind the stalks. Feel very natural to use though.

On 1/7/2018 at 22:34, Woody37 said:

I noticed the same during my TD of the Karoq. Do you have the "Auto Hold" feature enabled in your Karoq? It is designed to hold your car in place without you having to keep your foot on the brakes all the time. So, the engine shouldn't start if you take your foot off the brake.

I drive the Octavia 1.6TDI DSG and the engine comes to life if I take the foot off the brakes.  My Octavia does not have "Auto Hold".

31 minutes ago, manlms said:

I noticed the same during my TD of the Karoq. Do you have the "Auto Hold" feature enabled in your Karoq? It is designed to hold your car in place without you having to keep your foot on the brakes all the time. So, the engine shouldn't start if you take your foot off the brake.

I drive the Octavia 1.6TDI DSG and the engine comes to life if I take the foot off the brakes.  My Octavia does not have "Auto Hold".

You make a very good point. It does have "Auto Hold" and it is enabled. If disabled I suspect stop/start will revert to norm, working on the foot brake. If I could get my wife out of the thing I would try it :)

Mark

On 07/01/2018 at 22:53, Woody37 said:

Just had a look, but too dark for good photos. The Karoq paddles are very discrete, only just visible + and - signs tucked behind the stalks. Feel very natural to use though.

Typical VAG paddles, they were the same on my Golf R until i swapped them for some decent replacments, 2 minute job.

1 hour ago, Nicky_P said:

Typical VAG paddles, they were the same on my Golf R until i swapped them for some decent replacments, 2 minute job.

ok first mod, link please :D

41 minutes ago, vadimo said:

ok first mod, link please :D

I have these from...

http://www.s2tpp.com/services.html

Not sure if they are compatible with a Skoda but it's something I'll be looking into when the wife gets her Karoq. They are expensive but top quality, direct replacements and not 20 quid eBay stick on jobs. To replace existing on VW simply push out a plastic pin change paddels and replace pin, easy, cant imagine Skoda is much different.

8514025226b0aae36b744e9adfac4476.jpg

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Woody37 said:

A bit ugly IMHO. The standard  ones on the Karoq and my A3 are fine for me.

Probably too 'racey' for a Karoq, but very functional when pressing on in something more appropriate.

Glad you are enjoying the Karoq, I am still looking to change my Octavia Scout (which I love) for something more SUV 'like but although I am sure the drive will be fantastic and the interior/tech top-notch I find the exterior styling just a bit too 'conservative'. I'm no boy racer but feel Skoda have really dumbed down the styling and could have pushed the car to be a little more exciting to look at, for example the Peugeot 3008 looks so much better from the outside but I would never buy one due to the reliability, drive etc.

Still on the search for the perfect car (that I can afford!!) and at present the Kodiaq Scout is looking like the one for me.

2 hours ago, CFBScout said:

Glad you are enjoying the Karoq, I am still looking to change my Octavia Scout (which I love) for something more SUV 'like but although I am sure the drive will be fantastic and the interior/tech top-notch I find the exterior styling just a bit too 'conservative'. I'm no boy racer but feel Skoda have really dumbed down the styling and could have pushed the car to be a little more exciting to look at, for example the Peugeot 3008 looks so much better from the outside but I would never buy one due to the reliability, drive etc.

Still on the search for the perfect car (that I can afford!!) and at present the Kodiaq Scout is looking like the one for me.

I am the same as you , as good as the Karoq looks the Scout I have will take some beating, it's just as you we fancy the higher seating SUV.

Will wait a bit longer before we decide.

7 hours ago, Orville said:

The Karoq is deliberately bland. Far fewer people would buy an Alteca, Q3, Tiguan, or T-roc if the Skoda looked better and came with more kit for less money.

Personally I think the Karoq is very well equippd for the money in comparison to a Tiguan.

Also, I think the another key issue that prevents the VW and Audi owners buying a Skoda is the name, no matter what styling and kit people out there won't overcome brand snobbery.

We're  on the verge of buying our first Skoda and I have already had interesting reactions from family, friends and work colleagues.