ocatavia ride at slow speeds

Hi, am thinking of a new Octavia Estate, a few reviews say the ride is a bit jittery at slow speeds, has anyone had a problem with this? will be taking a test drive but just wanted to make sure it was not a problem that would ruin the experience of owning one? Bessie

Welcome.

What engine / gearbox / wheel size / suspension has the Octavia you are thinking of getting.

What were the ones that reviews were describing as jittery at low speeds, because maybe some spec of cars might be to some people 

where as others would not think so.

Tens of thousands of Taxi Drivers around the world are not going to use jittery at low speed vehicles.

Estate cars with rear passenger and load capacity and rear suspension set up for that can feel different if there is no load in the rear. 

But that applies to Hatch / Saloons as well with many vehicles.

Cars with Muli Link rear suspension might be more pleasant a ride, but not always.

Wheel Rim size & tyre profile and pressures set often more important.

Seldom do reviewers ever mention when they collect a car to road test that they went and checked and set the tyre pressures.

Not that many taking out a Dealership Demonstrator go check and set pressures either, 

but so often the tyres are over inflated, as are new cars collected after a PDI.

Edited by AwaoffSki

Had a 2016 Estate 2.0 TDi DSG with rough road package (increases car height) and 17" wheels. Yeah! It bounced about a bit on uneven roads and was less comfortable that the 2017 1.5TSi DSG I now have. The estate's still a good car though.

It’s relative to previous experience also - mine is comparing a Nissan Tiida with my new Octavia RS and I wouldn’t say the RS feels “crashy”. It is a relatively smooth drive that makes you feel like you’re travelling a lot slower than you really are and around roundabouts it handles them comfortably at much higher speeds than what I could have ever done on my Tiida. 

Having said that that the ride at slow speeds has been very smooth. Nothing jittery about it apart from reversing up a bump starting from stationary once I had the RS kick into gear after applying some gas. That is it. Otherwise it handles gear changes up hills and after roundabouts smoothly. Putting the drive mode in normal D mode it already preselects the gear for you so when starting to accelerate there is no jittery gear changes taking off. 

Edited by SkodaAsh

All depends on spec and personal preference.

I’ve had a 1.4 TSi SE DSG hatch which is approaching the end of its PCP. I’ve grown weary of what I personally think is a noisy, crashy ride at the back caused by the standard torsion beam rear suspension. Torsion beams transmit more noise & vibration than independent multi-link suspension, and their design means you don’t have as much latitude with the spring rates.

So I’m switching to a Superb, which does have multi-link suspension and a more supple ride.

But that’s just me. Plenty of people are perfectly happy with the Octavia’s standard set up.

Edited by MorrisOx

I have the diesel vRS estate with the 19" xtreme wheels and low profile tyres which on paper should be a rough ride on anything other than a perfect road surface, however....I find the ride very comfortable and smooth, much more so than I expected. Give it a go.....great machines!

2 hours ago, toni8b said:

You need to try version with multi-link suspension. This means 1.8TSI or a VRS.

Or just buy golf. 

It cost the same these days.

Do all Mk III RS Octavias have this multi-link suspension?

5 hours ago, SkodaAsh said:

Do all Mk III RS Octavias have this multi-link suspension?

All 4x4 and cars with more than 150bhp has multilink. So 1.8TSI and all vrs' has it.

• Thanks 1

In the UK, multi-link suspension is available only on vRS and 4x4 Scout models. The 1.8 TSi isn’t sold here unfortunately. VRS models tend to have a fairly firm spring rates because they’re performance models (they also have low profile tyres, which also takes the edge off the ride), but the Scout rides well - it has a raised ride height, long-travel springs and a taller tyred profile.

24 minutes ago, MorrisOx said:

In the UK, multi-link suspension is available only on vRS and 4x4 Scout models. The 1.8 TSi isn’t sold here unfortunately. VRS models tend to have a fairly firm spring rates because they’re performance models (they also have low profile tyres, which also takes the edge off the ride), but the Scout rides well - it has a raised ride height, long-travel springs and a taller tyred profile.

You dont get any 4x4 models other than the scout and vrs TDI?!

3 hours ago, Gromle said:

You dont get any 4x4 models other than the scout and vrs TDI?!

Gromle, in the UK we can get:

4x4 estates with the 150ps diesel in SE L, L&K or Scout trim

4x4 estate with the 184ps diesel in Scout trim (but DSG only)

4x4 hatch and estate with 184ps diesel in vRS trim (DSG only)

We can’t get the vRS 245ps TSi as a 4x4, unfortunately. I suspect that is because parent company VW would rather you buy a VW or an Audi if you want quattro-style petrol performance.

15 hours ago, toni8b said:

You need to try version with multi-link suspension. This means 1.8TSI or a VRS.

Or just buy golf. 

It cost the same these days.

Not all Golfs have the multi link rear?

4 minutes ago, juan27 said:

Not all Golfs have the multi link rear?

pretty sure all golfs mk5 and onwards all have independant rear suspension. Unless they have gone back into the dark ages just like Skoda

Edited by SuperbTWM

53 minutes ago, SuperbTWM said:

pretty sure all golfs mk5 and onwards all have independant rear suspension. Unless they have gone back into the dark ages just like Skoda

No it’s very similar to Skoda, so the lower powered models still get torsion beam setup at the rear.

OP - I ran a 150ps diesel L&K hatch for 2 years, and the ride on anything other than motorway was pretty poor to be honest. Had a Superb as a courtesy car for a day when mine was in for service, and the difference in ride quality was like night and day. I’ve not tried an Octavia with adaptive dampers, so that may well make a difference if you wanted to consider that. 

2 hours ago, SuperbTWM said:

Yep low powered Golf 7s have the same set up as low powered Octavia 3s

Golf 5/6s (and the Octavia MK2 derived from it) all had fancy rear suspension

Edited by juan27

11 minutes ago, toni8b said:

But the still ride better than Skoda.

I wonder how? Not disputing it as I've never even been a passenger in either car with the cheap rear suspension, but strikes me if the fundamental design of the suspension is the problem then you wouldn't expect a massive difference.

The Golf’s a lighter car than the Octy, so the suspension tuners have a bit more latitude with spring rates, which are always a compromise on torsion beam set-ups.

Suspect you’ll also find that the Golf’s shell doesn’t transmit as much nvh as the Octy. Might even have better bushing, but that’s pure speculation.

40 minutes ago, MorrisOx said:

The Golf’s a lighter car than the Octy, so the suspension tuners have a bit more latitude with spring rates, which are always a compromise on torsion beam set-ups.

Suspect you’ll also find that the Golf’s shell doesn’t transmit as much nvh as the Octy. Might even have better bushing, but that’s pure speculation.

Actually it’s the other way round believe it or not - the Octavia 3 is lighter than the equivalent golf.

• Like 1

Fair point. When I compare a 1.4 TSi dsg 5 dr Octy & Golf they both come in at 1270 kilos unladen.

I stick  with the point about spring rates/bushes, but may be the slightly podgy Golf is carrying a bit more nvh-absorbing stuff in its shorter wheelbase. So perhaps its ride is no better, just quieter.