220 Vs 280 TSI

39 minutes ago, GaSelle said:

Can anyone explain how your plates work in the UK? It makes absolutely no sense (to me) that you want a brand new car sitting outside your dealer for weeks just because you want another plate on it. The car doesn´t get any better/worse (newer/older) no matter what plate is on it. I must admit, that there is quite a few things in the UK that seems... Ehm, different - but this one I don´t get :)

Help the stupid Dane, please ;)

It is a bit of a mad system. There is a new 'number' every March and September. The 'age' of a car is viewed as from first reg so my car will be an '18' after March 1st or a '67' before. Its nothing more than vanity making me wait to be honest.

12 hours ago, EddGee said:

Jesus wept. 

Just reading this made me cringe. 

Please don't tell me you use a sponge to wash your car...? :crying:

Oh yes a sponge. Normally get 2 for a pound at Poundland!!!!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, edwards said:

It is a bit of a mad system. There is a new 'number' every March and September. The 'age' of a car is viewed as from first reg so my car will be an '18' after March 1st or a '67' before. Its nothing more than vanity making me wait to be honest.

@ GaSelle

It's even more mad than that because people then buy 'private' number plates to 'hide' the age of their car. This is what @edwards will be doing next year :biggrin:

Such registrations can cost 'as little as' £80 (I think - last time I checked) for retaining one you already have for use on another car to the most desirable ones worth millions on the open market. I seem to recall mention that the most valuable one is / would be 'F1' if the current owner were to sell.

• Haha 1

Gaselle; you are right - our number plate system is bizarre!

The new year starts in March so we will have "18" plates next month.

Then, in September, we get a change to a "halfyear" number which was brought in to try to spread the rush which was overwhelming dealers when there was only one number change per year.  This replaces the "1" in "18" with a "6" and happens each September through the decade (for 2000 - 2009 the Sept prefix was "5").

So we are currently on "67" from last September changing to "18" next month.

Personally I think it is best to avoid the start of a new plate. The dealers get a rush of cars to be handed over so are under pressure for pre-delivery inspections and the sales teams are also very busy so have less time for any queries, minor glitches etc.. 

Also I think it is true that the first 2 letters of a plate tend to be regional. Finally you can personalise your car by purchasing a different registration number from the government agency which can be whatever is available so long as it is not newer than the car. So folk choose one which includes their initials or whatever. This has the benefit of hiding the true age of the car as well.

I bet you are sorry you asked, if you even read this far!

1 hour ago, eurotraveller said:

@ GaSelle

It's even more mad than that because people then buy 'private' number plates to 'hide' the age of their car. This is what @edwards will be doing next year :biggrin:

Such registrations can cost 'as little as' £80 (I think - last time I checked) for retaining one you already have for use on another car to the most desirable ones worth millions on the open market. I seem to recall mention that the most valuable one is / would be 'F1' if the current owner were to sell.

My current car is a 53 plate so if I was really vain I would have gone personal on that one :-) The whole thing is mad really but oyher than the new reg,  I have been and will be  away with work for most of feb anyway and it would just be sat on the drive.

I agree about the rush at new reg, but thankfully I have the luxury of days off in the week if I need it so pickup on monday 5th should be less busy I hope. 

If you want to see how the UK registration system works both now and historically go here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_the_United_Kingdom

It's worth persevering and reading it all as it is quite interesting and probably an insight into the psyche of the British!

A dealer won't give a toss what number/year is prefixed in the reg when it comes to p/x time.  A bit like options really, "it doesn't add any value, Sir"   Oh but when you come to buy a car, those two numbers and a few options can and do add a few £'s.  

I personally waited (only 2 weeks) for a '17 plate for no other reason that it's my DoB and also 17 is my lucky number.  Daft really but hey ho.   If I ordered a new car next month then it likely won't arrive until a month before the MY68 number plates.  Based on my current level of excitement, there's no way I would wait.  @edwards clearly has superpowers! :biggrin:

17 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

@edwards clearly has superpowers! :biggrin:

I'm probably a bit fat for tight pants and a cape! 

I've been 'waiting' for a new car for about 18 months now for various personal reasons, so a few weeks more is no issue. That and being away in Yorkshire with work for most of the rest of the month should ease the pain a bit. I am still moderately excited :) 

Dealer offered me a choice of about 20 numberplates so picked one I liked but certainly not 'private'!

Finally!  I've agreed a deal in principle with a dealer.  Just need to transfer the deposit and a 280 should be ordered by the end of the week.  

Lead time is still an indicated 18 weeks but I'm hoping that'll go down a week or two based on the fact it doesn't get allocated paint shop time. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, xman said:

Better get your skates on as, according to rumours, 280 production ends wk 26.

I called Skoda UK this morning to ask 2 questions: 

1.  Is there a Meteor Grey on order that will be in the UK soon? - I wanted to try and get a picture of one before I ordered but seeing as there aren't any due in soon, I've just gone for it. 

2.  Will I still get a 280ps,  non-GPF model? -   Yes as there's currently nothing on their system to indicate when the current EA888 variant will cease to be fitted and the order book is still open with no pending changes.   

With a lead time of 18 weeks until delivery then I can assume ~3 weeks of that will include transfers and shipping (and sitting around at the docks) so the car will hopefully be built in May and clear of the new EU compliance which comes into force 1st June.  Though I'm not sure when the factory will have a shut down for re-tooling, which could be a massive spanner in the works if it needs to be done in advance of 1st June. 

It will be very close but hopefully the lead time is similar to my current one which was out buy several weeks and my car was with the dealer in January and not mid/late Feb,  as initially stated. 

EDIT: According to another thread the current 280 will end production wk26 which is 25 June; I may be in luck! 

Edited by penguin17

Cheers for all your explanations. That’s one mad system! (Off which you have quite a few...) I’m trying to understand the British psyche as I have quite a few British colleagues and travel to UK quite often. Still struggling though. In the last hotel I stayed at, there was a big sticker in the showet telling the user to read the instructions prior to use. That made me cry. Just a little. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, penguin17 said:

2.  Will I still get a 280ps,  non-GPF model? -   Yes as there's currently nothing on their system to indicate when the current EA888 variant will cease to be fitted and the order book is still open with no pending changes.   

Will this effect the 220ps as well? Looking at placing an order this week

12 minutes ago, k9matt said:

Will this effect the 220ps as well? Looking at placing an order this week

According to the same thread I’m going by it states wk 26 for the 220 too. 

Check with the dealer when you order perhaps? 

Edited by penguin17
  • Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

slightly off topic, but it sounds like the 220 has plenty of power, if I can;t get a 280 within budget . Question would be how does the new 190 petrol compare to the 220?  Feels like it might drive like a bit quicker 1.5 150bhp,  rather than a slightly slower 220  .  thanks 

1 hour ago, billblacoe said:

slightly off topic, but it sounds like the 220 has plenty of power, if I can;t get a 280 within budget . Question would be how does the new 190 petrol compare to the 220?  Feels like it might drive like a bit quicker 1.5 150bhp,  rather than a slightly slower 220  .  thanks 

Do your best for the 280. The thing that really makes it is the 4x4 if you tried it you would not want to go back.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nick_H said:

Do your best for the 280. The thing that really makes it is the 4x4 if you tried it you would not want to go back.

Yeah agree and the dsg is another one too, I drove my wife’s manual Fabia the other day and I’d never want to go back to a manual now even with the power my 280 has!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I initially test drove a 220 Superb SEL Estate and when I put my foot down, joining a dual carriageway, the wheelspin was crazy.

That same evening I found a black 280 Superb L&K Estate after looking for a 4x4 model, not realizing it was such a wolf in sheep's clothing when I took it for a spin.

The performance is like nothing I've ever owned and I have not looked back since I purchased that one.

The amount of standard kit on the L&K was well worth paying for.

I would advise driving both of them and decide which one you feel you would rather live with.

• Like 2