EGR VALVE

kwmax

Any body know if I have remap. and include  egr delete. do I need to fix a egr blank plate on a 2013.  2.0 TDI non stop start engine thanks jmax

Edited by kwmax
Incorrect heading

It stands to reason that if removing the EGR it will need to be blanked off in some way.

Who is doing the remap / EGR delete? They should know, if they don't I be taking it to someone who does.

Mansfield isn't too far from you. There isn't much about VAG engines that Shark don't know about...

http://www.sharkperformance.co.uk/

• Like 2

Expression  in Shipley. using black code.can revert back to pre ea189 setting also suggested stage 1 economy. Remap on offer until end Feb £189.they can delete egr and advised to blank off .that's up to me but if it needed attention in the future they will have to charge. vechile done 24.000 all long distance runs. On Esso commented that egr will be ok most customers do not have the delete 

Dreaded 'Glow Plug' warning light started blinking earlier in the week but with no loss of power. 

Did the checks as found on the forum but all appeared fine. Went out for a wee while but back again with a vengeance. 

Took the plunge and visited my local dealer for a diagnostics check. EGR value 'cream crackered' on a 12 plate Superb estate that has done 58k? Not sure if it has any bearing but this is one of the recall vehicles from the emissions issues!

Shock & horror quoted just over £1,000 for the work to be carried out!! 

Thoughts of Briskoda experts please!

download.jpg

Chimaera yes the update was done in July 2016. 

I took it to the Skoda dealer and they mentioned something about 'goodwill' at the time and said they would ring me back tomorrow when the finance manager is in (Day off today).

Just so I am 'armed' and 'ready' do you know if the 2 year warranty is for parts and labour? 

20 minutes ago, Plymouth Red said:

Chimaera yes the update was done in July 2016. 

I took it to the Skoda dealer and they mentioned something about 'goodwill' at the time and said they would ring me back tomorrow when the finance manager is in (Day off today).

Just so I am 'armed' and 'ready' do you know if the 2 year warranty is for parts and labour? 

This is the full rundown on it: http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/dieselinfo/trust-building-measure

7 minutes ago, Nedge68 said:

Plymouth Red,

does the car still drive OK, do you have a code reader or do you know anyone who has? 

I experienced a slight loss of power driving home midweek but today all seemed fine and the glow plug error didn't materialise but I thought it advisory to take it to my local Skoda dealer who ran the diagnostic check and a Skoda Express Check. 

No sorry I don't have a code reader or know of anyone who has? 

You may not have an EGR fault could be your MAF sensor or even a dirty air filter, I would hate for you to pay for an EGR and find out that wasn’t the really the fault.

2 minutes ago, Nedge68 said:

You may not have an EGR fault could be your MAF sensor or even a dirty air filter, I would hate for you to pay for an EGR and find out that wasn’t the really the fault.

According to his earlier post, the dealer has already diagnosed an EGR failure. Under the terms of the Trust Building Measure, Skoda have to eat the cost of replacing the EGR since his car has had the 23R6 update.

7 hours ago, chimaera said:

Under the terms of the Trust Building Measure, Skoda have to eat the cost of replacing the EGR since his car has had the 23R6 update.

This is exactly what my dealer says. So, if your EGR is toast and Skoda confirms it - then look forward to a nice new EGR at no expense to yourself.

Sorry for the delay in posting a reply!

Yes the dealer has offered to fit a new EGR free of charge under the Trust Building Measure. 

Car has been running fine for a while but last night major problems so sat on my drive awaiting collection next week - earliest they could fit me in!

Glad they are doing the work free of charge, as they should. This is why I am thinking about getting the fix reversed on our car because you're basically screwed once you're out of that two year "goodwill" period and as we don't do a lot of miles it seems likely to me that we'll face this problem a few years down the line otherwise. Shark Performance don't have anyone near me who can do it though...

• 1 month later...

Bah.

My 1.6TDI Greenline (62 plate, 42000 miles) went into Limp mode with the glo-plug warning 100miles from home - had to get AA to bring car back on a truck.

Local Skoda dealer just rung me up - needs new EGR, that'll be £900 please.

I didn't get the EA189 change done last year as I'd heard of loads of horror stories about it, but if I had done it sounds like I wouldn't have had to pay for the failure?

Sucks to be me I guess.

Edited by houstmon

2 hours ago, houstmon said:

if I had done it sounds like I wouldn't have had to pay for the failure?

No, provided its service history was fine then the plate and miles would say that it would have been covered under their "Trust Building Measure". 

The fix would probably have broken the EGR sooner but the repair would have been on their dime. Its a tricky call for owners... I wonder if some people who are suspicious of the state of their EGR etc have got the fix done so repairs are covered - and then had it reversed through a remap....

42,000 miles isn't a lot for a TDI tohave shot its EGR - has your car been subjected to a lot of cold start, short city journey drives...?

25 minutes ago, TheRobinK said:

No, provided its service history was fine then the plate and miles would say that it would have been covered under their "Trust Building Measure". 

The fix would probably have broken the EGR sooner but the repair would have been on their dime. Its a tricky call for owners... I wonder if some people who are suspicious of the state of their EGR etc have got the fix done so repairs are covered - and then had it reversed through a remap....

42,000 miles isn't a lot for a TDI tohave shot its EGR - has your car been subjected to a lot of cold start, short city journey drives...?

From the figures I've seen quoted around here for a remap/rollback, it's definitely a lot cheaper than a new EGR or DPF.

47 minutes ago, TheRobinK said:

Yeah, most of it is 6 mile trips to/from work, with occasional long runs from East Mids to Norfolk or Scotland.

1 hour ago, houstmon said:

Yeah, most of it is 6 mile trips to/from work, with occasional long runs from East Mids to Norfolk or Scotland.

OK then - that's the sort of use that would provoke the issue.

I'm not criticizing you  - one of my concerns is that my driving profile has changed since I got my diesel. I'm now doing a lot more of the 6 mile type of trip and a lot less of the 75mph, 2 hour long motorway burns I used to do. I cant avoid the short trips, I am just making sure that if I've had a couple of weeks of that then I follow up with a nice, long, hot burn on the open road. And also periodically wind up the Turbo past 4000rpm when the cars up to temp. 

I would now be a candidate for petrol (last year I only did 10K miles) but that is not so easy in Ireland - most petrol options are basic models.  I want a biggish car, with the type of options on my Elegance Superb and a half decent Turbo petrol.