Citigo instrument binnacle.

Ronn

My build week 7 SE L is now at a UK port. I will soon be able to see what i ordered (it really shouldn't be a surprise, though, should it?). Any idea of the average wait from port to dealer?

1 hour ago, scr64 said:

My build week 7 SE L is now at a UK port. I will soon be able to see what i ordered (it really shouldn't be a surprise, though, should it?). Any idea of the average wait from port to dealer?

It shouldn't be a surprise at all really. Isn't it daft not knowing. 

It's not as if you're ordering a pizza with extra pepperoni and you get home to see they haven't added it.

We're talking a lot of money with a car and things should be prescise and certain.

Buying a car from Skoda is like buying a ‘Lucky Bag’ when you were a kid.

You hand your money over but you don’t know what you’ve got until you look inside.

☺️

35 minutes ago, scr64 said:

Wow!

I had completely forgotten about "lucky bags". Thanks for that memory. (Sorry to go off topic.)

I forgot about lucky bags too. Maybe we should start a thread about our favourite childhood sweets! (My favourite was midget gems).

It's crunch time today to find out if we can add the trip computer to our order. 

As previously said if it's a 'yes' then I need to get it writing. If it's a 'no' I'll be ringing Skoda UK to verify. 

Failing that I'll drive to the factory in Slovakia to ask the manager to fit it while I watch.

Edited by RickW
Error

Just rung dealership (because they hadn't rung me) and they said they can't add the trip computer as an option on their systems,so they are ringing the factory to see if they can do it. 

They said they would let me know when they find out. We'll see.

It's not exactly rocket science is it?  What a painful experience as a customer.

5 hours ago, scr64 said:

Hi scr64.

When I got my new little Dodgem, the (somewhat ignorant-of-what-he's-selling & couldn't-care-less) Salesman told me that the delay between the car arriving at the Docks in UK & its' arrival at the Stealers, was but a matter of a few days - certainly not any longer, as "Delivery Drivers" are now a thing of the past, & all the cars arrive via a Transporter, & once there's a full load, off the Transporter goes.  One reason for this, is that at the Factory, Settings are applied to each & every new car, and this limits the top speed to about 10mph - ie. enough for a Docker to drive the car onto the ship, but not enough for a Driver to deliver the car from the Dock to the Stealers, & boot the living daylights out of it on the way.    Wasn't previously aware of that, but it makes total sense to me, & also obviously prevents a car from being "thrashed" from the Dock to the Stealer.    Removal of this factory-set "maximum speed setting is one of the pre-delivery checks that the Stealer has to do. 

Well done Mr Skoda - give credit where it's due.

Update:

I had a call from the dealer at lunchtime to say the car is at the dealership and would I like to sign some paperwork. Not working today so I went straight over. Of course, I spotted it on the lot and the first thing I did was check the binnacle. Who was correct, the dealer who said three dials, or Skoda UK who told me one dial?

And the winner is...... The dealer!:biggrin: Car has a three-separate-dial binnacle just like my 15 plate Elegance. I am chuffed! But, do not take this as proof of spec for 2018 cars. The configurator has definitely changed, and Skoda UK cannot simply be mad. I think the changes to spec are drip-fed onto the production line according to stock levels; I have seen 2017 cars with round fog lights and the new bonnet. The question of the dials is not answered, especially as the instrument cluster I have does not feature anywhere in the latest brochure or on the configurator. As an added bonus, I chose Dynamic trim based on a 2 inch swatch of cloth the dealer showed me. £150 for smarter seats seemed worth it. Very pleased to see it also includes a gloss-black dash and steering-wheel inserts, the sports steering wheel (flattened bottom of wheel) from the Monte-Carlo and privacy glass. Money well spent. I also spec'd DAB and climate control, so all in all, a very smart little car to collect on Friday. Can't wait to experience the luxury of 2 bits of string on the parcel shelf! And a light in the boot! Trim looks especially good for the money. Will post some pics as it's always helpful to see real-life examples on here when you are ploughing through the rather vague work of fiction which constitutes the brochure. (Cue unending rain for the next 6 weeks!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Really pleased it's worked out for you,you must be excited and elated all at the same time!

:D

Looking forward to pictures

Edited by RickW

20 hours ago, scr64 said:

Update:

I had a call from the dealer at lunchtime to say the car is at the dealership and would I like to sign some paperwork. Not working today so I went straight over. Of course, I spotted it on the lot and the first thing I did was check the binnacle. Who was correct, the dealer who said three dials, or Skoda UK who told me one dial?

And the winner is...... The dealer!:biggrin: Car has a three-separate-dial binnacle just like my 15 plate Elegance. I am chuffed! But, do not take this as proof of spec for 2018 cars. The configurator has definitely changed, and Skoda UK cannot simply be mad. I think the changes to spec are drip-fed onto the production line according to stock levels; I have seen 2017 cars with round fog lights and the new bonnet. The question of the dials is not answered, especially as the instrument cluster I have does not feature anywhere in the latest brochure or on the configurator. As an added bonus, I chose Dynamic trim based on a 2 inch swatch of cloth the dealer showed me. £150 for smarter seats seemed worth it. Very pleased to see it also includes a gloss-black dash and steering-wheel inserts, the sports steering wheel (flattened bottom of wheel) from the Monte-Carlo and privacy glass. Money well spent. I also spec'd DAB and climate control, so all in all, a very smart little car to collect on Friday. Can't wait to experience the luxury of 2 bits of string on the parcel shelf! And a light in the boot! Trim looks especially good for the money. Will post some pics as it's always helpful to see real-life examples on here when you are ploughing through the rather vague work of fiction which constitutes the brochure. (Cue unending rain for the next 6 weeks!)

Well, congratulations, scr64, I'm so pleased that everything seems to have worked out for you - but a customer should not have to spend some days anguishing over exactly what he may, or may not get for his hard earned money.  Shame on Skoda (for bodging their order systems, & even more shame on their accredited Stealers, for not having any knowledge, or even interest, in giving their most-important customers what they are paying for), as if this slaphappy system continues, customers are likely to vote with their feet, and throw their wads of money elsewhere.

I still reckon that Skoda are drip-feeding their accumulated stocks, in order to get rid of them (fine  & profitable for Mr Skoda, but not so fine for the customers)        

But thoroughly enjoy your new little Dodgem car (just as I'm enjoying mine) they're cracking little machines, & are deservedly popular - although if Skoda does not get their act in order (& more importantly feed this through to their Salespeople) all the good will that these cars generate are going to be dissipated (as the continuous thread from Briskoda members so aptly demonstrates) by the ignorance: couldn't care less & slap-happy attitudes of Skoda Stealership's sales staff.   I took very great exception to my requests for informationthat were so important to me, being so readily dismissed by my Sales person on the impression of "what are you getting so worked up about?  I have real issues to contend with - like the impossibly high sales targets that I have to achieve".  If I hadn't have been so impressed with the Citigo that I'd had for a couple of years, I would have told him to insert his sales targets where the sun didn't shine, & bought another model instead.

Perhaps next time (if that day ever comes) I'll be more inclined to go down the VW Up route, and see if those people are more customer-friendly.

But don't let this damning indictment detract from your (or possibly more Mrs scr64's) latest acquisition, just enjoy what you've got - you seem to have come rather well out of the deal. 

• Haha 1

Day 2 of 'Binnacle Gate' and not a whisper from the dealership re wanting a trip computer fitted to my wife's new Citigo order.

They must have sent the message to the factory on an old donkey.

What's the betting they don't care and end up saying it wasn't possible?

Edited by RickW

Oh dear RickW, but unfortunately, it seems as though we members of those people who buy Citigo's don't count for much in the greater scheme of things.  I could have had (albeit a much more basic) Fabia for the pushing-12 Grand that I lashed out for my Citigo - not that I was interested in one.   If I had have done, I may then have been regarded slightly more higher than as a member of the Great Steaming Unwashed who was going down the "cheap & cheerful" route.   Extremely short-sighted view by the  Stealers, but my interpretation from Briskoda members, is that this seems to be the prevalent view - we're simply not worth the inconvenience that any of the staff of the Stealers would have to go to.  

Perhaps the profit margin to the Stealer is insufficient for them to treat us Citigo buyers as "welcome" customers.   When I was treating myself to my very first new car (a Mini) back in the 1960's, I well remember a fairly-aloof salesman (they all seemed to be like that in those days) telling me that Austin only made a profit on 10 shillings (50p to those who weren't brought up in the Common Market) on every new Mini, & whilst the Stealership wouldn't actually turn a buyer away, they didn't fall over themselves to roll out the red carpet - enquire about buying a new Austin Cambridge, & they actually offered you a chair & a smile.  This is possibly why none of the Car Stealers who were around in my formulative years, are now still trading.  If the Skoda Stealerships carry on as they currently seem to do, then they too run the risk of "falling by the wayside".

But the impression that seems to run through all of these threads, is that Skoda Stealerships may (I repeat "may") accept our 11-12 Grand, we're not actually worth them going through any  more than the motions of a semblance of customer care.

Demand an answer from the Manager of the Stealer, & if that doesn't produce any results, contact whoever owns the Stealership, & tell him/her that they're in grave danger of losing a customer if they don't extract a digit. 

I gave up & simply took what was on offer, but don't you!   The barstewards do need your business.

Edited by Michaelski
spelling error

I'm like a Jack Russell on  a postman's leg,I won't let go.

Mr Tolerant is about to turn into  Mr Intolerant and they will see I won't roll over and put up with it. Of course I won't be rude but insistent.

Is it difficult to ring the factory and get an answer immediately? Is it hard to update the customer and reassure them?

Imagine going into Curry's and asking if a particular TV had a volume button and they didn't know but said they'd let you know and ring you if they find out and you don't hear from them for days.

Skoda UK will be my next port of call if I don't get an answer by Thursday morning.

6 hours ago, RickW said:

Day 2 of 'Binnacle Gate' and not a whisper from the dealership re wanting a trip computer fitted to my wife's new Citigo order.

Skoda UK told me (wrongly it turned out), that my car would ship with a single dial binnacle. I immediately tried to upgrade to the maxi dot display, but was told it was too late. The phone call was in the 2nd week of Jan. My car was, at the time, scheduled for wk8 build.

Not sure exactly when the order gets "locked", but for me it could not be changed 6 weeks before the build date.

That said, the info was wrong and the car arrived with separate rev counter and fuel guage, so perhaps this is a false alarm. It would just be nice to KNOW without doubts or contradictions.

4 hours ago, RickW said:

Day 3 of 'Binnacle Gate'. Let's see what happens today.

You sock it to them, RickW - it'e long, long overdue that the voices of us Great Steaming Unwashed were heard in the Land!

Do not (for pity's sake) let them "get away with it" - you're paying your money, lots of it in this case, & you're entitled to have the definitive answer - & not least, precisely what you want. 

It's just a pity that Skoda (UK): all the Skoda Stealers: Mr Skoda (+ Mrs Skoda & all the little Skoda's in Slovakia) don't bother to read Briskoda - there's a wealth of what is laughingly called "Customer Research" available there for free, gratis & for nuffin, but it appears that they'd rather pay out mega Zlotys to some independent Company, to hear what they'd much rather hear. 

In the words of my old school motto  "nil illegitittamum carborundum"  - loosely (very loosely) interpreted as "don't let the barstewards grind you down".

You can be as rude & as terse as you like, as long as you get what you want, you can regret being rude afterwards.    As SWMBO often says " Heaven knows, I don't ask for much in life - just my own way" & it works for her!

Do please keep us posted.

UPDATE

Rang the dealership this morning to be told they had sent an email to the factory requesting the trip computer with the appropriate binnacle but as yet have had no answer.

So I then rang Skoda UK customer services to explain my concerns. The operator was very helpful and found he couldn't see it on the configurator or how to add it onto their systems either. Said he would ring me by 2pm which he did.

Still no definitive answer. Apparently the 'Brand team' are now conferring with the technical team to see why it's on the price list as an optional extra as it may be a mistake.

I've been told that the retailer will contact me as soon as they hear anything (which they'd already told me) but it's best to leave it another week now. I emphasised the clock is ticking on the build and would be very disappointed if we couldn't have what we want.

The heat is on watch this space.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RickW said:

UPDATE

Rang the dealership this morning to be told they had sent an email to the factory requesting the trip computer with the appropriate binnacle but as yet have had no answer.

So I then rang Skoda UK customer services to explain my concerns. The operator was very helpful and found he couldn't see it on the configurator or how to add it onto their systems either. Said he would ring me by 2pm which he did.

Still no definitive answer. Apparently the 'Brand team' are now conferring with the technical team to see why it's on the price list as an optional extra as it may be a mistake.

I've been told that the retailer will contact me as soon as they hear anything (which they'd already told me) but it's best to leave it another week now. I emphasised the clock is ticking on the build and would be very disappointed if we couldn't have what we want.

The heat is on watch this space.

By the sound of all this, RickW, one could quite reasonably believe that Skoda couldn't give a Toss whether people bought their Citigo's or not.  By the same token, one could wonder just why they bother to either build them or advertise them.   Ye Gods, getting a straight answer from the Stealerships is like pulling teeth - slow, inconclusive & incredibly painful.

Just keep on the Stealerships' backs until they get so heartily fed up with you, that they actually do "something" to achieve some portion of their Sales targets.    One does wonder whether VW & Seat have the exact same dismissive attitude towards their lives blood.   Although having said that, a few years ago, I was intending to buy one of VW's "finest"& the Salesman there treated me with such disdain & contempt, that I walked straight out of there & into the next door (Lexus, as it turned out) Showroom & bought one of theirs.    The Salesperson there didn't actually slit his own throat in the process of being helpful & accommodating, but I did feel both wanted & important to them.  It paid off, as I bought another 3 from them over time.

Screw Skoda Stealerships!  

Well I've a bit to go yet but I am turning up the pressure little by little.

I'm not the explosive type but I am good at making a nuisance of myself until I achieve my goal ( I prefer the drip drip drip method).

I did suggest that I didn't want to cancel the order so that'll hopefully have made them think.

You’ve all got to admit, Skoda Dealerships & the Skoda Manufacturing setup is very strange. - even if your a big fan of their products.

I’ve had exactly the same problems with the ‘Trust’ Dealership,

I’ve asked different people there on several occasions about the ‘Binnacle Gate’ issue & none of those who work there know the answer or can help me!

But, worse that that, I get the impression that the aren’t interested to find out.

Very odd way of selling cars.

Maybe I'm old school and wouldn't fit in a modern dealership but I would go out of my way to help and please customers putting their best interests first.

No,that wouldn't work nowadays would it.

To some it's just job and they can't wait to get home at closing time.

It's all about targets and throughput,the actual cars seem of secondary interest.

Just my opinion of course.