Citigo instrument binnacle.

Ronn

In respect of my own Dodgem Car, it looks exactly like that photo, leckman.  In other words precisely the same as on the last SE-L that I had.   There may be notable changes in the offing, but as yet not all of them have filtered down to the great steaming masses.

I reckon that Ronn had hit the nail right on the head - changes are in the course of happening, but Skoda are off-loading all of their accumulated stock first.

In reality, that means that unless one pays the extra for the Dot Matrix, the first time that Buyers will know what they're likely to get, is when they've handed over their Moulah, & call to take delivery of their new purchase, or if they happen to buy one that was sitting in the show room.

In reality, it's hardly surprising about the economies with the Binnacle, the new models Citigo has lots & lots of new & rather attractive specifications to it, & as there hasn't been a price increase, "something" has to compensate for them.    The sat nav & the CD Player are two notable economies the (crappy) Binnacle may well be the third.    Or (cynical me) has "the steam" gone out of the market for City cars. & with everything that made them such an attractive proposition, now being removed, (RFT) manufacturers will now concentrate on

attracting buyers for the next-size up - there's a lot to be said for the mind-set.

But as a sorta belated afterthought (although highly applicable), it was raining for most of yesterday afternoon/evening, & again for most of this morning, so I didn't manage to refit my Heko wind deflectors (a tad on the pricy side, but worth every Kuna - they're made, I think, in Croatia) & for which I faced East & thanked the Makers for, on a daily basis since I bought them some 2 1/2 years ago.

There was obviously a fair amount of rain standing on the roof, and as I drove out of the car park, with my window down only about 4", at the first bend, I received around some 20,000 gallons of this rain water down my arm: over the switchgear for the leccie windows & even  into the door pocket. 

First job tomorrow, will be to re-fix the wind deflectors & do without the daily shower.

These wind deflectors really do do the job, and HEKO's delivery of them was fast & faultless.

My view is that it is unlikely that Skoda would downgrade the higher spec models to the ‘s’ spec instrument binnacle. I have never known a car manufacturer to downgrade models during its lifecycle, there is always a refreshment of the specification to attract new buyers. You only have to take note of the additional specifications now available on the newer model over the original release of the Citigo.  

The new new phone cradle system is a more modern addition bringing the technology in the car up to date with other manufacturers and is across the VW Up, Citigo and Seat Mini models, personally I don’t have an issue with it as I didn’t have a PID in my older SE. I don’t like it’s Sat Nav function however and continue to use my Garmin. Incidentally Michael, you can use the USB port by the cradle as a pure charger port , as you can with any usb socket, it’s just that the port also allows a smart phone, iPod or other MP3 player to communicate with the radio. My Garmin Sat Nav will work from this port, but I lose the traffic function as it only functions properly if I use the Garmin power socket lead.

Interestingly, the ‘basic’ S model has the more basic radio with CD player as well as the single instrument binnacle.

just the thoughts of another ‘old fart’ :biggrin:

My reply to SteveJP.

Welcome ‘old fart’.

Yes, what you said makes most sense.

But let’s not loose sight of the origins of this thread.

This thread grew out of the uncertainty of what Instrument setup Skoda were putting into (or intended to introduce) into new Citigos.

This was further expanded when a contributor (can’t remember who, may have been Jonny118118, although not certain), said they had ordered a new Citigo SE (or SE L) from the factory, the Showroom Salesman said it would come with 3 Instruments, BUT, when the Salesman phoned Skoda UK, they said ‘All new Skodas will in the future have one (1) Instument UNLESS the Maxi-Dot Display is specified on the order.

Thats were the confusion & hence the discussion originated from.

It wasn’t us on the Forum that created the issue here, it was Skoda.

Hope that explains the background.

Edited by Ronn

Hi SteveJP.

Grateful for the reassurance, but believe me, the USB Port on the top of the Dash does not charge the Sat Nav.    The Techie guy at Halfords (what a pleasant & helpful fellow he was) told me in advance that on some cars (for whatever reason) the USB Port wouldn't actually charge a sat nav, but only a Smartphone.   Then he tried it out, & sure enough, when plugging the lead into the USB Port,  the satnav wouldn't even fire up: he then plugged it into the 12v socket, & the device sprang into life. I just wish that the USB Port would be suitable to charge the SN, as it would then avoid having leads (at least one lead) trailing down the front of the radio. 

Anyway, I'll try it out again today, & hope for the best.  

51 minutes ago, Michaelski said:

Hi SteveJP.

Grateful for the reassurance, but believe me, the USB Port on the top of the Dash does not charge the Sat Nav.    The Techie guy at Halfords (what a pleasant & helpful fellow he was) told me in advance that on some cars (for whatever reason) the USB Port wouldn't actually charge a sat nav, but only a Smartphone.   Then he tried it out, & sure enough, when plugging the lead into the USB Port,  the satnav wouldn't even fire up: he then plugged it into the 12v socket, & the device sprang into life. I just wish that the USB Port would be suitable to charge the SN, as it would then avoid having leads (at least one lead) trailing down the front of the radio. 

Anyway, I'll try it out again today, & hope for the best.  

9 minutes ago, Ronn said:

Absolutely correct Michaelski,

Only for smart phone charge NOT Sat Nav.

Maybe it doesn’t deliver enough Amps to charge a Sat Nav.

Yeah it’s output is around 1.5, it doesn’t really charge anything it just keeps the devices battery from dropping rapidly.

saying that, it did charge my LED torch -but very slowly :D

Thread tidied. For everyone's enjoyment, please do not insult other members. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If someone doesn't agree with another point of view then there are ways and means of replying. Or don't. Simples.

Enjoy your Sunday afternoon everyone :)

• Like 1

I happy with this & I’m confident Miller73 will be.

We all say things that are inappropriate and it’s easy for me to say, but I’ll say it anyway.

‘Once a Stone has been thrown, it’s impossible to retrieve it’.

And I’ve thrown 1 or 2 Stones in my time.

☺️☺️

One thing about being a fully paid-up member of the OFB, is that it makes you cynical & sceptical (yeah, I know that's two things, but OFB members can't count either), so I just now decided to find out for myself about the USB lead/Port - ie before I read Ronn's message.

Initially I thought that I was "cooking on gas" as the device fired up immediately, & worked a treat all of the way to Waitrose.   But once in their car park, I decided to try increasing the brightness, and fiddled around the various options like a good 'un. although the brightness of the screen would not improve..

But during my inept & various fiddlings, I  must have touched some sort of highly-relevant option on the Garmin, as on the screen came this message - "the USB Port will not charge this device".

Removed the USB cable & replaced it with the 12v cable, & everything worked precisely as it should. 

So, Ronn (another member of the OFB) is absolutely spot on - the USB Port will enable the SatNav to function, but it will not charge it.     Thanks for that Ronn.

Michaelski said:

One thing about being a fully paid-up member of the OFB, is that it makes you cynical & sceptical (yeah, I know that's two things, but OFB members can't count either), so I just now decided to find out for myself about the USB lead/Port - ie before I read Ronn's message.

From yours message above, you say 2 things.

Actually, it’s one thing if you have Alzheimer’s.

☺️☺️

Hi Michaelski,

You will be able to charge your Garmin Sat Nav & run it at the same time by plugging it into the Auxiliary power socket next to the gear lever.

It’s under the ‘flip up’ lid.

You will however need an adaptor, a round device that pushes into your Auxiliary Socket that you then plug your USB lead into that’s supplied with the Garmin.

The Adaptors aren’t dear, I think the Working Man’s saviour ‘Poundland’ sell them.

When connected, just route the lead from the Adaptor to your where your Gamin is mounted so that it doesn’t  interfere with your driving.

Best of Luck.

Edited by Ronn

10 hours ago, Ronn said:

My reply to SteveJP.

Welcome ‘old fart’.

Yes, what you said makes most sense.

But let’s not loose sight of the origins of this thread.

This thread grew out of the uncertainty of what Instrument setup Skoda were putting into (or intended to introduce) into new Citigos.

This was further expanded when a contributor (can’t remember who, may have been Jonny118118, although not certain), said they had ordered a new Citigo SE (or SE L) from the factory, the Showroom Salesman said it would come with 3 Instruments, BUT, when the Salesman phoned Skoda UK, they said ‘All new Skodas will in the future have one (1) Instument UNLESS the Maxi-Dot Display is ordered.

I started this binnacle query. To sumarise, the brochures for Oct 17 and Jan 18 show 2 binnacles. An S level single dial and the 3 dial maxi dot display. NOT the 3 complete separate dials that my current SEL has. Same with the online configurator except that the single dial has white on black led instead of my black on green lcd.

Many cars arriving with 2017 build weeks have the 3 separate dial binnacle. When i phoned Skoda UK they said my car, SEL, would ship with single dial despite the brochure saying SE and above get rev counter and fuel guage. The car is build week 7 so should arrive in March. As others have said, it seems as though upgrades/ changes are gradual and dependant on stocks. I would like to hear from an owner of a 2018 build Citigo to see what the dash looks like.

Edited by scr64
Spelling
  • Like 1

Well, Miller73, there you have it!

There is no doubt here what was said to scr64.

scr64 has been told by SKODA that the Citigo SE L which he will receive in March ‘18, WILL ship with ONE (1) Instrument in the Binacle on the Dashboard.

One Instrument!!!!

This info has come from SKODA, repeat, SKODA.

There is NO mischief making by myself or any other Forum Member on this subject.

22 hours ago, Ronn said:

Actually, it’s one thing if you have Alzheimer’s. (Ronn)

Well Ronn, It's a good job that I can't even remember what Alzheimer's is (least of all the fact that I can't  manage to spell it), otherwise I could possibly have been slightly affronted.     But one thing (or then again, is it two?) about having a total lapse of memory, is that you can never remember if someone insulted you - it's indispensable when dealing with SWMBO.

22 hours ago, Ronn said:

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 13:48, Ronn said:
58 minutes ago, Ronn said:

I was talking about me

Nope, you were (at least according to SWMBO) also talking about me.  But as I never can remember what she says by way of insults (possibly because I never listen to her) it's all water off a Quacker's back.

Keep smiling ( it infuriates the hell out of SWMBO)!

5 hours ago, Ronn said:

Well, Miller73, there you have it!

There is no doubt here what was said to scr64.

scr64 has been told by SKODA that the Citigo SE L which he will receive in March ‘18, WILL ship with ONE (1) Instrument in the Binacle on the Dashboard.

One Instrument!!!!

This info has come from SKODA, repeat, SKODA.

There is NO mischief making by myself or any other Forum Member on this subject.

Let's wait until it actually arrives and he sees it in the flesh, if he is correct I will humbly apologise.

No apologies necessary from either quarter Miller73.

It was never a ‘whose right’ contest, infact not a contest at all.

It was merely a discussion on what had been & what hadn’t been said to Skoda Customers by Skoda.

Nothing more than that.

1 hour ago, Ronn said:

Does yours go missing for about 3 day’s a week?

Mine goes missing for four.

Hi Ronn,

I wish to hell that mine would go missing for several days each week!  Unfortunately (rather like the Ancient Mariners' Albatross) she's always round my neck/on my back/finding fault (not that she ever has to look very far)

And this is "for life" - if I'd have committed murder most foul, I'd have only had to serve a few years.

Marriage is an institution (so the saying goes), but who the hell wants to live in an institution?

I should have been warned when taking the marriage vows - do you promise love, honour, obey (especially obey) & be content to be a bottom-feeder for the rest of your life?

Ye Gods, Ronn, in a horrible moment, I'd thought that my missus had been designed by the same hombre who dreamed up the idea of sticking just a one-instrument speedo in the Citigo Binnacle.    I have to admit, there's distinct similarities - the whole concept is too unimaginable for words.

But if it's of any help to scr64, I ordered my SE-L in mid jan: the car was then already sitting at the Dock in Emden, so I'm assuming that it was probably built & shipped from the factory in what, December 2017? 

If so, it's not going to be of much help to scr64 & what he may finish up with, but it might (just "might") explain why mine came with the Full Monty.   

Doubtless scr64 will keep us all posted about just what he eventually gets.      Here's hoping!!!!!!!!!!!!