Skoda Connected - a bit ‘Flakey’ ?

So - I’ve taken delivery of my 2018 Octavia 1.4 TSI SE L with Amundsen and am generally very impressed.  However, the one disappointment is the rather ‘flakey’ performance of Skoda Connected.  It has found my phone (iPhone 7) which normally has a decent 4G signal and a healthy data allowance.  Hotspot is permanently switched on, but it’s the devils own ‘faff’ to get it to connect.  It’s certainly not instant although once connected it’s rather good, particularly the facility to import your destinations from your desk.  Am I missing something either in the car or phone settings, or is Skoda Connected just a bit ‘pants’?  Certainly, as things stand it’s not something I would consider paying a subscription for.

i have also downloaded the connect onto the same phone don't really understand it but will have a try at the weekend and see if I have the same problem.

i need a lesson on what it does and how to use it!!! 

Graham

17 hours ago, OliR said:

Downloaded it onto my phone but can't get half the features they say like parking location & light flashing. all seems rather pointless.

I’ve worked out (and accept) that many of the remote features are only available if you have Columbus with its inbuilt SIM, otherwise there is no way for the app to speak to the car.  Once connected it’s quite good, particularly the live traffic/route stuff and ability to pre plan and upload destinations.  If it would link consistently I would be happy with what is a ‘free’ feature for the first 12 months.  I would even be prepared to pay a nominal sum to continue the service in 12months time if it worked consistently.

I've purchase a combined USB dongle / WiFi Access Point with a PAYG Data SIM, that is running with a decent 12v to USB powerpack from the boot socket. Gives continuous WiFi connection for the Amundsen SAT Nav and Skoda Connect Facilities. 

6 minutes ago, Gti Jazz Blue said:

I've purchase a combined USB dongle / WiFi Access Point with a PAYG Data SIM, that is running with a decent 12v to USB powerpack from the boot socket. Gives continuous WiFi connection for the Amundsen SAT Nav and Skoda Connect Facilities. 

Interested in knowing the cost and seeing a photo of the install

I used one of these Huawei Unlocked E8372h-153 4G/LTE Wi-Fi Dongle - White with one of these 3 data sim preloaded with 24GB of data over 3 years. Pinched the 12v plug in USB power pack from my Mrs as she no longer required it, and it just lives plugged into the boot power socket.

I'll see if I can get a picture later but there isn't much to see. I will probably tidy it up with a usb cable at some point - but it just works and means if I need the data dongle for any other use - it is easy to grab from the boot.

10 minutes ago, Gti Jazz Blue said:

I used one of these Huawei Unlocked E8372h-153 4G/LTE Wi-Fi Dongle - White with one of these 3 data sim preloaded with 24GB of data over 3 years. Pinched the 12v plug in USB power pack from my Mrs as she no longer required it, and it just lives plugged into the boot power socket.

I'll see if I can get a picture later but there isn't much to see. I will probably tidy it up with a usb cable at some point - but it just works and means if I need the data dongle for any other use - it is easy to grab from the boot.

The thing is, you shouldn't have to resort to that in order to have a decent connection. If I hotspot from my iPhone, the car should pick it up and use it. 9 times out of 10, it will connect to the phone and show the wireless symbol, but if I try to use a Skoda connect function, I'm told there is no data connection.

Well there are know issues with using a hotspot connection via some phones / operators - so I did my research and decide to go down that route - it works 99% of the time for me as a solution. I suspect that when it doesn't work it is the Skoda Connect Servers as sometimes it takes ages for the App to pick up the data when it first opens.

Mines a Columbus but I have yet to put a SIM into the slot yet, I have just been using the hotspot from my phone when I've wanted to use the features.

even when I connected it to my house wifi the features still never appeared.

To be honest once the free 12 months in up I doubt I will use it, must better off just using Google maps :) 

2 hours ago, Ozzy25 said:

I have a Columbus unit and bought a SIM card. Still haven't got a clue what it is supposed to do. 

I think I know what it's supposed to do, I'm just trying to work out the benefits. Connect seems to be the solution to questions I've never asked. :biggrin:

I've read / seen the Columbus system using Google Earth as a navigation tool but just wondering if anyone knows how much data that uses?   

Edited by Guest

Quick update - I took a call from the Skoda help desk today, following making an on-line enquiry.  The car should connect automatically after about 90 seconds to any 4G connection it is linked to.  If the phone’s hotspot feature is set as discoverable it should connect.  I need to check if the phone needs to be unlocked before it’s discoverable.

• Like 1

Hi! I got my new Octavia delivered monday this week (built week 51 I think). I struggled with this a bit the first days as well. My car came with a Carstick LTE  (without sim card) so this added to the confusion. I dont know if things work differently in diff countries (I live in Sweden) but this is what I've figured out so far.

Using the LTE stick or using your phone as hotspot is used for accessing internet via the Infotainment System, stuff like weather, news, nav updates etc. May be used for more stuff as well.

The Skoda Connect/car part actually uses its own connetion with a Sim via something called OCU2 - more info in this link:

http://ws.skoda-auto.com/TechnicalLexicon/print_techlex.aspx?itemid=484&language=7

The way I got the car parts working was to create an account at skoda-connect.com and once in there you get a code (eight digits I think) that you use to activate the feature in the car by entering the code actually sitting in the car.

So I got it working. I can remotely see the status of my car, control the auxiliary heater (like I said, Sweden....), parking position etc. See attached screenshots from the Skoda Connect App

Hope this helps in getting the Care part working at least!

connect1.png

connect2.png

connect3.png

//Hagge

Edited by HaggeJr
  • Like 1

Yes Skoda Connect is flaky, especially if you use the EE network (EE also provide the network for others such as BT, Plusnet, Asda, Virgin, etc).

There's a separate thread on this here: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/437282-bt-mobile-and-skoda-connect-problems/

From above: "You can request via SKODA Connnect Portal an appointment with your Preferred Request Partner who will confirm proposed date and time for Breaks maintenance..."

Does that mean book online to have your brakes maintained or book online to prevent your car from breaking? :)

Whatever it means, I'll continue to pick up the phone and call around to see who'll offer me the best deal. And it won't cost me an annual fee or another SIM card. Simply Clever.

6 hours ago, sniffermark said:

Yes Skoda Connect is flaky, especially if you use the EE network (EE also provide the network for others such as BT, Plusnet, Asda, Virgin, etc).

There's a separate thread on this here: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/437282-bt-mobile-and-skoda-connect-problems/

Hmmmm I’m with EE.

Looking at your post and screenshot, Ozzy 25, the App on my phone is showing exactly the same as yours. Completely useless. Does not show any of the information the Connect Portal says it should show. I also downloaded another App called Skoda One App. This does connect to the car and shows the information that Skoda Connect is supposed to show about the car but is obviously not as good as the Skoda Connect App is supposed to be if it works. "Simply Not Clever"