Thermostat replacement

Evening all.

Would like to share my recent experience as it may help someone here. Apologies if this has already been flagged up.

I have a 2014 Superb estate 2.0 DSG. I have recently had an issue where the temperature guage kept going up and down between 50 (start) and 90 (normal). This was particularly noticable when going uphill (temperature rises) and downhill (temperature falls).

I had already had cambelt/water pump change middle of last year so was confident it was not the pump.

So....replaced the thermostat - No good

replaced the temperature sensor - No good

Spoke to dealer with the registrations of 2 friends who had similar problems. They checked work carried out and one had an issue with the 'gearbox oil cooler inline thermostat'.

I replaced this and it has resolved the problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, gav_is_con said:

Yes very common on DSG cars. Mine has the issue. Thermo still in box waiting to be fitted. Available from online site Autodoc, cheaper than in U.K.  

Same. Something daft like 7 quid for a German made part.

11 hours ago, gav_is_con said:

Available from online site Autodoc, cheaper than in U.K

I had not heard of that site so I had a quick look, bosch a188s wiper set for superb2 = £38.35 plus £8.45 delivery. compared to £20 from elsewhere. seems an expensive site to me?

5 hours ago, superbdreams said:

I had not heard of that site so I had a quick look, bosch a188s wiper set for superb2 = £38.35 plus £8.45 delivery. compared to £20 from elsewhere. seems an expensive site to me?

I see.... Odd, as I thought gav-is-con said it was cheaper for a DSG thermostat, not wipers, but I'm obviously wrong on that one.....

4 hours ago, superbdreams said:

I assumed he felt the site was cheap overall. sorry

Well it's the only thing I bought myself given a recommendation, that if you can wait for it to arrive across the water as it's cheaper. 

I passed the website to a Bavarian car owner who looked at brakes and they seemed to be there or there abouts with carparts4less. 

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, wokwon said:

Do you have a VAG part number?  My Superb has started doing this too.

Copy of my invoice from Autodoc 

I can't find the threads of others and my input today. The part is very easy to swap. Hardest thing is the clips on the pipes without the correct tool. A tool can be purchased if really needed to help. 

IMG_2586.PNG

Yeah ebay Lithuania to the rescue again. Got one for about $50USD.

Dealers in 'straya are awful.  When I needed a headlight performance unit they wanted >300$ and said it would take 6 weeks.

Approx 50 euros and 4 days later, ebay Lithuania delivered.

• 1 year later...

Hi, 
have the same problem with Skoda superb 15 reg DSG. 
the temperature guage is going to 90 and then keep coming down to 65, when I drive on sport mode it goes to 70 or 80. Uphill is a bit up downhill is coming down to 67 or 65 and stop on 65. 
I assumed it’s the temperature sensor or thermostat until I found this forum. 
is it easy to replace it myself or need to take it to the garage or Skoda dealer? Thanks a lot 

• 2 years later...
On 03/12/2019 at 08:58, Skodaoctoviaestate2008 said:

Hi, 
have the same problem with Skoda superb 15 reg DSG. 
the temperature guage is going to 90 and then keep coming down to 65, when I drive on sport mode it goes to 70 or 80. Uphill is a bit up downhill is coming down to 67 or 65 and stop on 65. 
I assumed it’s the temperature sensor or thermostat until I found this forum. 
is it easy to replace it myself or need to take it to the garage or Skoda dealer? Thanks a lot 

hi where is it located please?

It's underneath the air intake pipe.

Removing the air filter box, intake pipe, the battery and the battery tray gives plenty of access.

It's pretty straight forward to do, shouldn't take much more than 30-40 minutes.

20211209_204157.thumb.jpg.df4beceae59332c8a27f6b4a01e310b5.jpg

14 minutes ago, softscoop said:

It's underneath the air intake pipe.

Removing the air filter box, intake pipe, the battery and the battery tray gives plenty of access.

It's pretty straight forward to do, shouldn't take much more than 30-40 minutes.

20211209_204157.thumb.jpg.df4beceae59332c8a27f6b4a01e310b5.jpg

brill thanks pal, what temp are they meant to operate at? just been trying to find a new one online but no joy as of yet

My dsg 12 reg took 3.5 hours of stop start driving and idling without turning off ignition to reach an oil temp of 90C in the maxidot display with outside temp of 12C.

Does that mean I could do with a new thermostat? Or do you have to take into account of the coolant temperature as well. 

Not too sure if the oil temp is the engine oil or dsg oil... 

Edited by newskodadriver