Interior Light Switch Issues

Hi guys,

Wondering if someone of the forum can shed some insight into the issue I currently seem to be experiencing.

The interior light works in the on and off position but when left in the middle as per the pic below which should turn the lights on when a door is opened it doesn't seem to be working. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

4b5cb0e0d0e99.jpg.c9e0c55bca9fcbbfd02ab81cf34dd7f9.jpg

The Skoda owners manual was about as much use as a chocolate teapot! I've also explored every menu on the MFD to no avail.

Cheers,

Aulay.

On 29/01/2018 at 13:30, mobilone said:

have you checked that the switch pin on the door pillar is not stuck

I assume you mean this switch?

Doesn't appear to be stuck.

24F5B5C5-2DBE-4022-ACD3-BE0940D36F42.jpeg

1 hour ago, Gabbo said:

And try the passenger door.

Do you have the same lighting system in the rear & does that work?

I will have a look at the passenger door at lunchtime.

the lights in the rear are behaving the same as the front ones. So on and off is working fine but nothing when set to work with door opening.

Come on guys! Pin switches have not been used in VW group cars for ages.

Do the courtesy lights work when the engine is running? My Mk2 had a time limiting switch on these to prevent the battery going flat. Check the lamps work separately as reading lamps, when the doors are closed,  by working the individual switches.

Edited by gregoir
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gregoir said:

Come on guys! Pin switches have not been used in VW group cars for ages.

Do the courtesy lights work when the engine is running? My Mk2 had a time limiting switch on these to prevent the battery going flat. Check the lamps work separately as reading lamps, when the doors are closed,  by working the individual switches.

Yeah, the work as a courtesy light when the switch is moved to the on position both when the engine is on and off. The lights also work separately as reading lights too. It just seems that they are choosing not to work when the doors open.

What does the dash board display show when a door or hatch door is opened? On my Octavia, the dash board display instantly warns when a door is opened. If that is not working, I guess the door position detector system has a fault and if that is the case, there may be other unexpected interferences with the car operation, like the burglar alarm not working.

21 hours ago, SoupDragon said:

What does the dash board display show when a door or hatch door is opened? On my Octavia, the dash board display instantly warns when a door is opened. If that is not working, I guess the door position detector system has a fault and if that is the case, there may be other unexpected interferences with the car operation, like the burglar alarm not working.

The dash does show up if any of the doors are opened and as far as I am aware the alarm is still arming when I look the car. Just seem to be that the lights refuse to come on when I open the doors or remove the keys from the ignition.

I'd say that there is either an issue with the light module / the cable to it from the convenience module or the convenience module.

Do the lights come on when you unlock the car with the remote?

Warranty still ? 

Edited by Gti Jazz Blue

On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 09:17, ords said:

That's to do with the alarm system

Yeah, this button is used to disable the car's internal alarm sensors.  You should press it (it will illuminate) if you are leaving the car locked with people/animals inside it.  Note that you need to single press it each time before locking the car, ie. if you've already done this once, but come back to the car and then wish to lock it again, you must press this button so that it's illuminated again before locking a second time.

• Like 1

I've noticed that the front door warning lights do come on the and the maxidot does say that the doors are opened so it, not a door switch issue.

Would VDCS help in getting to the bottom of this fault?

20 hours ago, Gti Jazz Blue said:

I'd say that there is either an issue with the light module / the cable to it from the convenience module or the convenience module.

Do the lights come on when you unlock the car with the remote?

Warranty still ? 

No interior light doesn't come on when unlocked with the remote I am wondering if maybe there is an issue with the interior monitoring as I was unable to get the alarm to go off when I locked myself in the car last night

No its a 2013 and my warranty has expired.

If you know someone locally with an O3 it would be worth trying their light module in your car. As a thought have you tried a hard reset by dropping the battery off of the car for a while. You will get a few errors shown when you put it back on - but that would reset the convenience module.

Other than that it requires an auto electrician I would say or if you have the skills a test meter and the wiring diagrams. The door lock status is being seen by the convenience module if it is able to display when a door is open. The light modules are getting power (so not a fuse) what they aren't seeing is the output from the convenience module - that could be the output from it has an issue, a loom issue or the light module isn't using the signal.

Not that familiar with the O3 electrics - but I seem to recall on the O2 that it was a switched negative from the module.

The circuit diagrams are available on erWin might be worth subscribing for an hour to print out the circuit details.

VCDS would confirm what we already know - the feedback from the door modules is working (as shown in the maxidot)  - the only thing it would bring to the table is the ability to test the convenience module output - but you can do that by opening a door.

• 9 months later...

I’ve got the same issue in my Skoda. Just opened the courtesy light and identified corrosion on the circuit board that reads the position of the rocker switch.

The circuit is simply not detecting that you have the light set to switch on when the doors are open. 

It might be possible to scrape the contacts and/or add some solder to resolve, but I’ll be looking for a replacement unit as the best fix.

Any help identifying a supplier for the part would be great. 

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 26/03/2021 at 04:59, SkodaSup said:

Hi mate,

Have you found a solution for the rocker switch? Did you repair or replace it?

I have the same issue and keep the light off all the time or it drains my battery because of shorting.

Thanks

I have repaired it by re-soldering the pin connections - not sure how much of a long term fix this will be to be honest. I looked at replacing the unit and was quoted £160 + p&p.

• Like 1

That is good, should work for some time hopefully. Any insight on how to get into it? I can open the first part where it is possible to swap lights but can't figure out how to remove the switch. Any help would be great!

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 06/05/2021 at 13:52, Aulay_m said:

I have repaired it by re-soldering the pin connections - not sure how much of a long term fix this will be to be honest. I looked at replacing the unit and was quoted £160 + p&p.

Can you tell me if you just re-soldered the top of the pin so it matches the "good" pin.

spacer.pngspacer.png

As you can see from my photos, one whole side of the switch mechanism on mine is corroded. I have tried cleaning it up with a small screwdriver and electrical contact spray but it didn't make a difference. 

• 3 weeks later...

I will need to look into this too, my front interior lights come on when you open the door but very faintly. If you press the switch in the middle it flickers and comes on full brightness but as soon as you take your finger off the switch it goes dim again! 🙁

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

These light units have had issues for years burning out the boards, my last car was a 2009 Golf GTi and it was EXACTLY the same. Would work in every scenario except when opening the door. If you held the switch in the right position with the door open the light would come on but that wasn't practical.

Either fix as above (which would be intermittent depending upon how bad it was) of buy new. From what I heard it was because of how much current was going through the system, LED bulbs draw alot less.

• 7 months later...

I have a 2013 2.0 tdi with the broken/burnt out switch issue. 

Spoke to a breakers. £60 Inc vat and p&p on the whole part.... Sounds good but the breaker car has stuff that mine doesn't (sunroof etc.) 

Not sure how to approach this!

4 minutes ago, CapitalRibs said:

I have a 2013 2.0 tdi with the broken/burnt out switch issue. 

Spoke to a breakers. £60 Inc vat and p&p on the whole part.... Sounds good but the breaker car has stuff that mine doesn't (sunroof etc.) 

Not sure how to approach this!

My 2 pence, its not worth buying a 2nd hand part as itll go the same way. The boards burn out because the rear light also goes through the front light when the door is opened. When I replaced my Golf light (very similar unit) approx 4 years ago it was £65 for a brand new part. Id estimate £85-£90 now if Skoda can supply them and you'll get the right one for the car.