Water pump, lifetime fit?

Do the Octavia MK2 VRS 2.0 TSI have a water pump for life fitted? I have read a few places saying it is a lifetime part but a few have said change it anyway after a while as a precaution so I cannot get a simple answer.

There is no history of any replacement/new one on my car and it's at 100k miles. Had the chain tensioner, chain etc all done at 61k in 2013 but nothing about any water pump anywhere.

9 minutes ago, Gissin said:

it's not lifetime. I'd change the pump. Early pumps had plastic impellers and would often fail at around 80,000 to 90,000 miles. Recent pumps have metal impellers and are more robust. However, given the pumps are only about £35 - I would

I believe theres is 2 water pump's on the TSi, the main water pump sit's under the inlet manifold and in not a nice job to change, my car is going into the stealers for mine to be done under warranty total price is just over £500 most of which is labour.

The other one's an auxcillary and is about £35 for the pump.

Both should be life time but in my 22 years as a mechanic i have never know a water pump to last the life time of the vehicle. either the impellers break up,the bearings wears out and become's noisey or the seal wears and leaks.

3 minutes ago, Lyminton said:

All pumps have plastic impellers and they will never fail as long as you use g13 rather then tap water. For the peace of mind replace it every time you do a cambelt. 

No cambelt on the TSi, not driven by the timing chain either.

@Lyminton - OK, this was a 1.9TDi, but I've seen a case where the (plastic) impeller splines stripped although the vanes themselves were fine. The effective life before this happens or they get cooked and break up (petrol engines) seems to be about 1.5 x cambelt change interval on cambelt engines, so say 90_000 miles

1 hour ago, Lyminton said:

All pumps have plastic impellers and they will never fail as long as you use g13 rather then tap water. For the peace of mind replace it every time you do a cambelt. 

Woah there tonto, maybe sit this one out.? That's a bold statement and a fair bit of misinformation in such a short sentence.

Some mickey mouse aftermarket pumps have metal impellers. In subzero temperatures when the owner top-up coolant with water it may freeze. When you start your engine genuine pump will snap and save your cambelt...

35 minutes ago, Lyminton said:

Some mickey mouse aftermarket pumps have metal impellers. In subzero temperatures when the owner top-up coolant with water it may freeze. When you start your engine genuine pump will snap and save your cambelt...

I'd still rather have a metal impeller as the do last a lot longer then plastic.

Thanks everyone,

So yeah I have a timing chain so cambelt change isn't a thing. I have the latest revision too so hopefully won't need that looking at anytime soon.

I'm not under any sort of warranty unless something actually fails and that runs out in April. It's a second hand car with 6 months warranty.

With that said is it something I should look to get changed sooner rather than later and what's the rough price if this job? £400-£500 is a worrying amount if just a water pump change to be honest!

Edited by HarleQuinn

2 minutes ago, HarleQuinn said:

Thanks everyone,

So yeah I have a timing chain so cambelt change isn't a thing. I have the latest revision to so hopefully won't need that looking at anytime soon.

I'm not under any sort of warranty unless something actually fails and that runs out in April. It's a second hand car with 6 months warranty.

With that said is it something I should look to get changed sooner rather than later and what's the rough price if this job? £400-£500 is a worrying amount if just a water pump change to be honest!

About have of that cost is labour as i think they may have to remove the inlet manifold to change it, the pump it self is £210. Mine is being done under warranty to pay half the cost which is £291.93 including the dreaded VAT, warranty company is paying £293.63 plus the diag charge of £100. thats all dealer prices by the way.All being done on march the 1st and 2nd.

13 minutes ago, Ju1ian1001 said:

About have of that cost is labour as i think they may have to remove the inlet manifold to change it, the pump it self is £210. Mine is being done under warranty to pay half the cost which is £291.93 including the dreaded VAT, warranty company is paying £293.63 plus the diag charge of £100. thats all dealer prices by the way.All being done on march the 1st and 2nd.

Why would you buy unknown quality water pump from internet when genuine one cost £165 from your local dealer? And it comes with 2yrs warranty for parts and labour...

Sheesh that is a huge amount of money for a water pump change only. I'll email the local dealers and see what they come back with.

Don't get me wrong there is no evidence of anything currently wrong but on a 100k car I like to be pro active instead of waiting on something to fail. At a price of £500+ it's a job that will have to wait till late in the year sadly.

That was just to show what they can cost, i'm not purchasing the pump to go on my car, the dealer is supplying that, it may genuine or aftermarket, warranty company want's aftermarket fitted but the dealer wants to put a genuine on. the dealer who is doing the job is Motorline in Dartford kent.  As said ealier there is 2 pump's on the TSi the one under the manifold is the main pump, thats why is expensive i presume.

Edited by Ju1ian1001

Yes warranty groups always want aftermarket over dealers prices. It's just keeping their costs down as we all know dealers prices!

Ok, two pumps! This is getting interesting. Is one any more important than the other or is it worth getting both changed etc?

It's just something I can add to the list of things I want doing at some point as I plan to keep the car another 6-7 years and can do without unexpected failures where possible so if I am pro active on parts that need looking at on a high mileage car it is also piece of mind!

1.8/2.0 TSI main pump is driven from a belt off the balancing shaft and fits into the block right underneath the inlet manifold. It's either a manifold off job, or an awful fiddle from underneath with restricted access. Multiple hours in either case, hence the prices you will see quoted. The other pump is electric to provide cooling for the turbo after engine shutdown. This is a small black plastic unit connected to coolant pipes very close to the undertray, and can probably be swapped in 5 minutes if you clamp the hoses.

I wouldn't be particularly inclined to change either unless there is some evidence that they need it (leaks, noise or cooling performance diminished). The main pump housing, especially earlier versions, are anecdotally rather prone to warping and will start leaking coolant, so that would prompt a change. Monitor levels regularly. If you are otherwise planning to clean the inlet valves/replace the inlet manifold/remove the head then definitely consider doing the pump at the same time.

This is where it's getting confusing, everything I read says the water pump on this model isn't driven by any belt as it is a timing chain on my car and this also does not drive the pump.

I've been manically searching the internet for answers on this but I can't find a single thing on water pump changes on a timing chain driven 2.0 TSI. I cannot see a single person who has had the water pump replaced on this. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places...

Do a Google search for SSP 824803 - The Volkswagen 2.0 Liter Chain-Driven TSI Engine - and download a copy.  The cooling system pump is illustrated and explained on Page 23.

1 hour ago, simion_levi said:

1.8/2.0 TSI main pump is driven from a belt off the balancing shaft and fits into the block right underneath the inlet manifold. It's either a manifold off job, or an awful fiddle from underneath with restricted access. Multiple hours in either case, hence the prices you will see quoted. The other pump is electric to provide cooling for the turbo after engine shutdown. This is a small black plastic unit connected to coolant pipes very close to the undertray, and can probably be swapped in 5 minutes if you clamp the hoses.

I wouldn't be particularly inclined to change either unless there is some evidence that they need it (leaks, noise or cooling performance diminished). The main pump housing, especially earlier versions, are anecdotally rather prone to warping and will start leaking coolant, so that would prompt a change. Monitor levels regularly. If you are otherwise planning to clean the inlet valves/replace the inlet manifold/remove the head then definitely consider doing the pump at the same time.

Shows you learn new things every day as i knew the main pump wasn't driven by the aux belt, i knew it was driven some how off the balance shaft, so it is belt driven off that. Mine is being changed as it is leaking (loses about a cup full per month, not dependant on milage strangley) and seeing as the inlet manifold has to come off, thats why i'm not doing it.

Not worrying about the secondry pump as thats fine and still water tight.

Yes, I changed my leaking pump a couple of years ago (somewhere around 65-70K miles IIRC) so had to familiarise myself with the system. Small puddles on the undertray to begin with, getting worse with time. The belt is fairly small, part 06H121605E (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/water-pump-belt/06h121605e/). It is unfortunately very hard to remove the pulley bolt to release the belt/refit new, due to the way it is recessed into the pulley wheel and that itself only just poking out of the block, so I ended up reusing the original belt as it was still in good condition.

The pump itself didn't seem particularly stressed nor deteriorating, it just seems to be the housing and/or seal that gives up with time.

Thanks again for all the replies!

If the replacement cost was £150 ish I'd get it replaced for peace of mind but £500 for something that isn't showing any signs of issues as yet is a lot! It's just the car having 100k miles on it now.

For all I know it could last another 30k+ miles and for me that's about 6 years worth of driving. If it ain't broke don't fix it potentially?