Drive Mode Between Starts

So - for day-to-day driving I tend to leave my 1.4 TSI DSG  in Eco mode.  When I get in and start the car, the head unit shows I’m in Eco, yet the gearbox shows I’m in D (normal) mode.  I then have to cycle through the modes with the mode button to go back into Eco again and E mode in the gearbox.  Is that normal, or should it be restarting with the gearbox in Eco?

That’s a little odd. The only time D should show up on the maxi dot screen is when you are in standard “normal”  mode or custom mode with Normal mode in driving. Hope you sort it out. 

Edited by SkodaAsh

I would not have thought that driving this engine at low revs and lugging it up hills in low gears was a good idea from a cold start, especially in a British winter.

Wouldn't 'D' transmission mode allow a few more revs than 'E' transmission mode during the early warm up phase?

I drive a manual so not sure what the auto box does, but I try not to stress the engine in too low a gear while the bores are being washed with a richer mixture.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

DSG always reverts to D at start up.

Not sure if anyone has been able to code it otherwise with VCDS.

Having pressed the mode button it'll tell you it's in the mode you left it in but, the DSG will always return to normal.

Same is true of sport mode - if I leave my vRS in Sport Mode - when I start next time it is still in sport mode - but the DSG is in D mode (which I like) however switching from any other mode to sport mode whilst driving changes the DSG box to Sport Mode.

23 hours ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

I drive in eco & my dsg restarts in eco

My DSG stays in the mode it’s been left in, if it’s left in Eco, it’ll start up in Eco. Only thing I can suggest is next time you start the car in Eco, pull the gear lever back against spring pressure from Drive. Should put it back in Eco (E1 will appear in the top right corner of the MFD) and then shut it down. Start it up again and put it in Drive and it should show E1 again. If not, try setting it in Individual mode with all settings in Eco (if that’s what you prefer) and try that.

I have 2013 TDI DSG and it keeps in Eco mode on each start up.

Had a courtesy 2017 TDI DSG and it reverts to 'D' mode on each start up when in Eco.

Also noticed the 2017 model coasts far less than the 2013 in Eco mode.

My 65 plate DSG stays in eco mode, as set with the button by the gear selector. It only changes if I elect to change it, E1 etc as I pull off and S(number) when I pull the gear selector back when in motion.

Just as Sasha's does:thumbup:

On 05/02/2018 at 13:55, pist0nbr0ke said:

@Falmouthboy my sincere apologies - the above is 100% b******s, mine starts in E if left in E. I was convinced otherwise, but had never tested it to confirm. :blush:

BUT: when I leave it in S, it reverts to D even though the vRS mode/drive profile is still in Sport - probably why I assumed the same for E.

19 hours ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

@Falmouthboy my sincere apologies - the above is 100% b******s, mine starts in E if left in E. I was convinced otherwise, but had never tested it to confirm. :blush:

BUT: when I leave it in S, it reverts to D even though the vRS mode/drive profile is still in Sport - probably why I assumed the same for E.

Same on mine, if I switch the profile to Sport the DSG is in Sport Mode. However on the next Restart the car profile is still Sport but the DSG is in D mode and not S mode.

Edited by Gti Jazz Blue

On 05/02/2018 at 13:54, Gerrycan said:

I would not have thought that driving this engine at low revs and lugging it up hills in low gears was a good idea from a cold start, especially in a British winter.

Wouldn't 'D' transmission mode allow a few more revs than 'E' transmission mode during the early warm up phase?

I drive a manual so not sure what the auto box does, but I try not to stress the engine in too low a gear while the bores are being washed with a richer mixture.

When it's cold it doesn't just at low revs - it's a smart box ;) - Straight away once I start in Eco and in E2, it will rev to atleast 3k revs before changing to E3

The DSG in my 2017 golf also reverts to D on start up if I've turned off the ignition in Eco mode.