Engine revs without foot on accelarator

Ords.... That’s a really great point you raise & I had been wondering the exact same thing since this whole ordeal started.

I’ve heard loads of great comments about DSG but I would be really interested to know if this problem (over revving & lurching etc) excites on DSG engines & what the negatives are of a DSG... There must be some!

Please let let us know...

Edited by OLI-G
  • Like 1

Just for information purposes,the 1.0 litre manual doesn't have this "feature",perhaps it's ultimately an act foible,if not it's just the ultimate expression of "driver assistance" I there was me thinking that was the park yourself button/hill assist/lane departure/turn on the lights/dip the lights/work the wipers/reverse the trailer *******ology

Sorry rant over I was happy to stop at ABS and ESP

1 hour ago, 181ce said:

Just for information purposes,the 1.0 litre manual doesn't have this "feature",perhaps it's ultimately an act foible,if not it's just the ultimate expression of "driver assistance" I there was me thinking that was the park yourself button/hill assist/lane departure/turn on the lights/dip the lights/work the wipers/reverse the trailer *******ology

Sorry rant over I was happy to stop at ABS and ESP

I'm pretty sure the 1L will have exactly the same feature.

The difference is, it is calibrated properly & you don't notice it is there.

3 hours ago, Gabbo said:

I'm pretty sure the 1L will have exactly the same feature.

The difference is, it is calibrated properly & you don't notice it is there.

Nope if you don't pay attention it will happily stall,two pedals required

Just back from a meeting with my Skoda dealer Manager. Once again full marks to The dealership for customer relations. before my visit I felt I was getting nowhere with Skoda Uk . My case was closed after three conversations on the basis that the car was behaving as it should ! I now feel that my case is once again under review.

Today I explained in detail the exaggerated 'pull away assist' and then we sat in the car so that the Manager could see and video the rev counter. As usual the revs went from 800 to 1800 and the engine could clearly be heard over revving. The Manager agreed with me that it seems to be over revving and we then tried a Karoqu that had the 1.5 TSI engine fitted. The car was cold so the cold idle was 1200 but it soon settled down to 800. He then tried the clutch and the 'Pull away assist' was clearly evident BUT the engine only went from 800 to 1000RPM - just what is needed to give a lazy driver a bit of stall prevention. For me this was a major step forward as I could now see how I think its supposed to work.

The Manager had driven to our meeting in a car with Pull Away Assist fitted and he said his car did not over rev like mine.

So where are we now. Manager is to take up my case and get back to me. My belief is that those of us that have an issue just need a re calibration

It appears that Pull Away Assist has been around for some time, more so with smaller engines that may suffer a lack of torque at low revs

I don't know if the cold lurching is associated with over revving but for me the revving is 9 out of ten on the annoyance scale and Mr Lurch is 3/10.

So lets wait and see, we will get there, big ships take a lot of turning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, BigKev2 said:

Just back from a meeting with my Skoda dealer Manager. Once again full marks to The dealership for customer relations. before my visit I felt I was getting nowhere with Skoda Uk . My case was closed after three conversations on the basis that the car was behaving as it should ! I now feel that my case is once again under review.

Today I explained in detail the exaggerated 'pull away assist' and then we sat in the car so that the Manager could see and video the rev counter. As usual the revs went from 800 to 1800 and the engine could clearly be heard over revving. The Manager agreed with me that it seems to be over revving and we then tried a Karoqu that had the 1.5 TSI engine fitted. The car was cold so the cold idle was 1200 but it soon settled down to 800. He then tried the clutch and the 'Pull away assist' was clearly evident BUT the engine only went from 800 to 1000RPM - just what is needed to give a lazy driver a bit of stall prevention. For me this was a major step forward as I could now see how I think its supposed to work.

The Manager had driven to our meeting in a car with Pull Away Assist fitted and he said his car did not over rev like mine.

So where are we now. Manager is to take up my case and get back to me. My belief is that those of us that have an issue just need a re calibration

It appears that Pull Away Assist has been around for some time, more so with smaller engines that may suffer a lack of torque at low revs

I don't know if the cold lurching is associated with over revving but for me the revving is 9 out of ten on the annoyance scale and Mr Lurch is 3/10.

So lets wait and see, we will get there, big ships take a lot of turning.

What was his response re the software upgrade, and the fact that this is a known issue as per the bulletin in November 2017?

Dave Lees - I explained that Forum members had received different dealer responses as you suggest. I think its difficult for him to comment on other dealer responses / Skoda UKs position at this stage. This is his first involvement and he has agreed to look into the situation.

Update on my situation:

I’ve spoken to SKODA UK this morning and to my dismay, the Manager acting on my behalf, despite pushing my very valid points & opionions, is unable to help in any way other than to pass on suggestions on how to ease the revving issue... Lurching & first / second gear issues appear to be linked as far as the technical team are concerned.

SKODA won’t supply a courtesy car either as they don’t consider this issue as a ‘fault’ only a software update... A software update due to an error / issue / fault I should add.

After driving my car at the weekend and stalling it three times, once during a hill start and twice during simple menouvers, I fail to see how it’s exceptable not to deal with this issue more appropriately.

As it stands I’m disgusted with SKODA’s level of customer service and their unwillingness to provide a reasonable resolution to this issue.

I will certainly be taking this further with a formal complaint to the Managing Director as well as sharing my thoughts on social media.

Edited by OLI-G

It’s certainly an option that has been mensioned but due to the nature of this ‘fault’ it appears SKODA won’t sign off on the vehicle being rejected... I’m not entirely sure how the process works but sounds very extreme. 

We rejected our first car that only had 100 miles on clock but the revs were actually sticking and not going down.  Our car was financed to benefit from the cash back deal, and as soon as we spoke to Skoda finance about the problem, it was straight forward arranging a new car.

The replacement car, i have got used to the revs not that i like it.  But this last couple of days, with temperatures below freezeing, the car is hideously jumping down the road until engine has warmed up.  I also noticed the MPG plumits to 15-20 MPG while it kangaroos down the street. Then once settled, returns to 35-40 mpg depending on driving etc..

I am going to speak to dealer again, and follow up with a letter of complaint.  I am convinced what ever electronic/software controls fuel intake or accleration is linked.

On a final note. .   Has any one obtained a copy of the November bulletin FROM Skoda about this issue?  Or can it be dowloaded?

Isnt this whole thing diabolic. We have cars that are clearly not fit for purpose. The cold start poor fuelling and the over revving really does make these cars not  fit for purpose. I asked about the rejection procedure when talking to Skoda UK customer services. I was told to take it up with my dealer.

When I sat in the Karoq yesterday and observed a pull away assist blip of 200 revs I was convinced that we have badly set up cars when they blip by 1000 revs. It remains to be seen if cold start jerkiness and over revving are connected.

Rejecting the car would be an option - but where do we go from there ?, is it better the devil you know, and stick with it till its fixed ? 

I couldn’t agree more BigKev2... Our cars are certainly not fit for purpose and this whole situation is absolutely diabolical and I’m utterly appalled by the lack of customer service by SKODA UK!

I’m under the impression SKODA UK have to sign off the rejection process... I’ve been told they wouldn’t do this on the basis that our / my car doesn’t have a fault, it’s a software update... To do what I might add, to update something that’s working perfectly well, I think not!!!

As an alternative, I would be very happy indeed for an exchange, like for like but one that actually works properly.

What is your next move?... A united front would make sense. 

Currently my issue is back with the supplying dealer who advises me that it is being chased up with Skoda Uk. I will await the next update e mail  from the dealer.

If people are reading this thread and have the same issue I would hope that they too contact their dealer to get it referred to Skoda Uk. I wonder what percentage of owners read this Forum ?

I live in the south (Dorset to be exact) so no snow yet, but last night & this morning it was -4 degrees & honestly I thought I was going to get whiplash in first / second gears... It really is shocking to drive & soooo frustrating!

I’m still communicating with SKODA UK & have expressed by disgust with how this is being handled... I can’t speak for anyone else but my car is absolutely not fit for purpose & an acceptable resolution is required!!

Edited by OLI-G
  • Like 1

After my visit to the dealer one week ago my case has been re opened with Skoda UK and it is being referred back to the factory. The Dealer Head of Operations agreed the car was revving too hard. I am waiting for  a response. So I think its 'progress' but its frustrating. Still hate pulling away and it chugs and farts on cold starts 

It is good that this forum is highlighting the issue.

I for one would not buy a vehicle with the described characteristics, because long term I know it would drive me round the bend.

I do like the practicality of Skoda design but if they are going to adopt the worst of VW customer service and not listen to valid negative feedback then stuff it, I'll go somewhere else.

Shows how useless and biased car reviews are that this issue has not been acknowledged by them

I agree that this pull away assist feature spoils the car. I understand this feature is not 'new', ie its been fitted to several cars, not just Skoda, for some time.

I know for sure that its fitted to the latest 1.5TSI engines. This thread is in a Octavia forum so we are really limited to those drivers when seeking support/comments. It would be really useful is people who have the 1.5TSI and don't have this over revving issue let us know. Tell us exactly what happens when the clutch is lifted.

I have witnessed what I believe is a correctly set up Pull Away assist -  I sat in a Karoq with a Skoda dealer senior manager and he demonstrated how it worked in that car. The revs gave a small jump from 800 to 1000, exactly what you would design to just give a little bit of 'stall prevent'. So I have seen it working as I think it should. I am therefore more convinced that my jump to 1800 is a defect.

We need all people to comment so we can see if its all the Octavias with the 1.5TSI that are set up wrong or just some of them. The cold start jerkiness may or may not be linked. 

Well, I won't be buying a 1.5 Octavia. What the hell are Skoda thinking? Diesel engines  have been ruined by every car maker,with failed attempts to solve emissions problems, and Skoda are now coming up with unnecessary complexity in petrol engines. Many owners are complaining about this, talking about rejecting cars etc. Was there a problem? Were our roads blocked with Skoda drivers constantly stalling their cars?. I may seek a late 1.4 Octy, but this constant need to babysit drivers, spoiling their cars in the process, is really annoying

• Like 1

Well said harrylime. My Octavia is a great source of amusement for my wife. She loved my previous Hyundai Tucson and begged me not to go back to Skoda. When we set off lurching down the road and she hears the revs when I am pulling away she gives that knowing told you so look. Mind its got a big boot for her shopping.

I will give it a few more days and chase things up again. My issue has been referred back to the factory.

29 minutes ago, harrylime said:

Well, I won't be buying a 1.5 Octavia. What the hell are Skoda thinking? Diesel engines  have been ruined by every car maker,with failed attempts to solve emissions problems, and Skoda are now coming up with unnecessary complexity in petrol engines. Many owners are complaining about this, talking about rejecting cars etc. Was there a problem? Were our roads blocked with Skoda drivers constantly stalling their cars?. I may seek a late 1.4 Octy, but this constant need to babysit drivers, spoiling their cars in the process, is really annoying

My 2014 1.4 TSI also has this anti-stall feature - but it is largely unobtrusive and does not cause the issues that the OP is experiencing.  

If I let the clutch up without pressing the accelerator, the revs will rise, but only by around 2-300 rpm.  It doesn't bounce or kangaroo down the road.