How do dealers get away with this?!

23 hours ago, ahenners said:

Nice anology, but it falls short in this scenario.

If Sainsbury's posted on their official website that Unleaded was a particular price and that my local Filling station participated in this pricing, then yes I'd complain and query why they are not honouring this listed pricing and making up their own price. Furthermore so, when if queried, the response incorrectly quoted an exclusion which doesn't exist.

'

I may well be wrong but isn't that SEAT's website, not your local garage.  (See T&C)

Garages could charge £1,000,000 for an oil change if they want. Still can't see the point in complaining - just take the car to another garage. Vote with your feet.

I keep cars for years and service them myself once out of warranty. Last service kit I bought (for my Toyota with the 2.2 D4D) was 6 litres of Shell Helix (fully synthetic) and an oil filter - delivered by Opie to my door for £45. Add in the air and pollen filters, the air con cleaner aerosol and Bosch wiper blades all round and it was still just under £100. 

Edited by HotVRs

1 hour ago, Scot5 said:

'

I may well be wrong but isn't that SEAT's website, not your local garage.  (See T&C)

Garages could charge £1,000,000 for an oil change if they want. Still can't see the point in complaining - just take the car to another garage. Vote with your feet.

No it was on Skoda's site, but as another member posted, you can actually book online (didn't know this) and it will let me book at my local dealer for £159.

No offence intended, but you seem to be missing the point somewhat. Yes generally garages may charge what they want, but if its a Franchised dealer and they participate in the Skoda fixed price scheme, then I think that is the maximum they are supposed to charge as defined by Skoda. If staff are then challenged on this, and resort to lying or making up imaginary exclusions to refuse honouring the pricing, then there's a bigger issue at hand. It doesn't exactly fill you with confidence that the dealer is trustworthy and operates with integrity.

I raised a complaint to the MD, and am currently awaiting contact from the Service Manager. It may not go anywhere, but then it hasn't completely fallen on deaf ears either.

I made enquiries with Vantage Skoda Morecambe this morning and it was a breath of fresh air in comparison. Straight away I was told it would be £159, no arguments, no non-existent exclusions, and the chap seemed friendly and helpful. It's likely I'll be taking it there instead.

Thanks

Edited by ahenners
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, stepdavi said:

My cars only 4 months old but thought I'd check on Skoda website. My local dealer is mitchells cheshire oaks. Car is 245 dsg 

Screenshot_20180208-145041.png

Screenshot_20180208-145049.png

I'd haggle on that and see if they will do it for less - Fixed Price Servicing only applies to 3-10 year old vehicles, but I'm sure a reasonable dealer will discount it still. Won't be anything more than oil + oil filter change I'd have thought.

Full disclosure here - I work for a Skoda main dealership - I wont say which, as I'm not here to advertise; However from a dealer point of view ( ours anyway ) There are 3 types of service for Skoda vehicles - Vehicles under 3yrs Fixed, Vehicles under 3yrs Variable and then there are vehicles over 3yrs which is called Skoda 3YR+.

I actively switch people to the 3yr+ service schedule where appropriate - they're great value for money, and cover a raft of jobs other than services as well.

You're right the Major service does state that Pollen Filter and Spark plugs are changed if required - that said, most vehicles that have this service with us are due for those replacements anyway - if not, they're not charged - reducing overall cost as it should.

And certainly for us - there is a hell of a lot other stuff that goes on behind the scenes as it were - Every vehicle that comes to us for service has an FOC Wheel alignment check - we also carry out FOC Vehicle health checks( as do most) and also a summary video from the technician showing any items that require attention.

In addition 48hrs prior to the car coming in, we raise the paperwork - check for outstanding recalls and prepare parts needed. If the customer has requested we check any other items we also check product bulletins for any parts that can be pre-ordered. In some cases if there are no bulletins we also raise a factory quality complaint - these are monitored by the UK and the factory and take as few as 5 reports for the technical dept to start investigating items that have been reported. These checks can then lead to software updates etc that may need implementing.

For the later vehicles now with sat-nav they can be updated via the update website - another thing we carry out for our customer.

Add to that the courtesy cars, free wash & vac collection & delivery etc that we carry out - Most main dealers are good value for money - and yes there are those who stick to their guns, but we have an open attitude to discounts - at they end of the day - you can ask, we wont be offended and to be honest - if we can help - we will

From my own point of view, I would rather discount our prices and continue to see our customers year after year - taking the mick in the first 3 years does one thing - drive them away - certainly not what we want either from a service dept point of view or from a sale point of view.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@skodaw thanks for sharing your insider experience, appreciate it. Sounds like you work for a much better dealership and one which actually values service and ensuring customers come back.

So I spoke to the Service manager, explained fully the situation and was basically told the £159 service is a budget service and misses out on some of the checks etc. which make up the higher service prices previously quoted. Couldn't seem to get any useful detail on the extra checks or why my car should have this instead of the minor service for £159 that it needs. He did however, apologise for the misinformation on the mythical VRS Exclusion from the £159 price.

Apart from that, nothing else as part of the conversation gave me any reassurance that anything would change going forward, and that any future dealings with Simpsons Preston (or their Colne dealership which didn't return my call yesterday) would be any different. He offered to book me in for the £159 and that's it. Had they offered a better incentive to not visit a dealer 28 miles away instead for the same price, and one which actually seemed to want my custom, then I might have considered giving them another chance.

So I'm voting with my feet and booking in with Vantage Morecambe. As I mentioned in an earlier post today, the brief dealing I had to enquire was pleasant, friendly and felt completely different to any similar enquiry to Simpsons. The fact I'm prepared to make a 56 mile round trip instead of a 12 mile round trip, speaks volumes of the lack of service at Simpsons.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who posted for your input and sharing your experience with dealers.

Andy

Edited by ahenners
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ahenners said:

@skodaw thanks for sharing your insider experience, appreciate it. Sounds like you work for a much better dealership and one which actually values service and ensuring customers come back.

So I spoke to the Service manager, explained fully the situation and was basically told the £159 service is a budget service and misses out on some of the checks etc. which make up the higher service prices previously quoted. Couldn't seem to get any useful detail on the extra checks or why my car should have this instead of the minor service for £159 that it needs. He did however, apologise for the misinformation on the mythical VRS Exclusion from the £159 price.

Apart from that, nothing else as part of the conversation gave me any reassurance that anything would change going forward, and that any future dealings with Simpsons Preston (or their Colne dealership which didn't return my call yesterday) would be any different. He offered to book me in for the £159 and that's it. Had they offered a better incentive to not visit a dealer 28 miles away instead for the same price, and one which actually seemed to want my custom, then I might have considered giving them another chance.

So I'm voting with my feet and booking in with Vantage Morecambe. As I mentioned in an earlier post today, the brief dealing I had to enquire was pleasant, friendly and felt completely different to any similar enquiry to Simpsons. The fact I'm prepared to make a 56 mile round trip instead of a 12 mile round trip, speaks volumes of the lack of service at Simpsons.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who posted for your input and sharing your experience with dealers.

Andy

Well to be fair I'm not sure of Simpsons setup - but we are still a privately owned company - which I'm sure has an effect on how we as staff are able to look after our customers - having previously worked for PLC companies - other than Skoda as well - It can be a very much different kettle of fish.

And to be fair - if they were to follow the correct 3yr+ service sheet - there is absolutely NO difference in service level - indeed the only difference is that the service sheet is a pre-printed carbon copy form rather than the form printed from Skoda's online system for a "factory" service.

And I certainly don't blame you for switching - I always like to treat customers how I would like to be treated - at the end of the day, customers are a reason for us to be here - not an interruption to our day!

Dave

• Like 1

Here is my experience of Skoda dealerships, but before I indulge you I appreciate that there are different, more positive experiences of dealerships.

I bought a pre reg octavia 3. As part of the negotiation on price I got an oil change thrown in. The car had 10k on the odometer. I suspect the dealer just topped up the dipstick oil making it look clean. This caused the oil filter housing seal to leak slightly. I ve serviced lots of petrol's and diesels myself  and yes the dipstick is black very quick on diesels but this looked like 10k not 20miles of use on checking on my return home. When the oil filter was changed 2k later due to nagging doubts about whether the work was really done, originally suspected due to the print off of the oil service showing 0miles not 10k miles and some quickly made excuses by Skoda staff.

I did found the oil filter was black as, not 2k of use. After the oil change with correct oil, the car was quieter and average mph jumped 3mpg.

Also....

I queried the tire wear on rears 3mm difference from center to edge. Could be hard cornering or rear wheel alignment out. Dealer said they would do a 4 wheel alignment for free to determine. Booked in. On my return I found the alignment was not done. Excuse was that the tyre wear was  outside the area checked. Mechanic tried convincing me that the tread pattern was part of the sidewall. I think the center 75% of the tyre width is mot checked for tread depth.  ATS guy had a look also later that day and confirmed BS of dealer.

Needless to say I did not take car back for oil service to this dealer.

Not exclusive to Skoda, a Peugeot dealership didn't change out an oil filter but charged for it. If only they knew previous service had a German brand installed.

You pay your £ take your choice. I ve lost trust in most dealers. 

I think a warranty is quite important , particularly on brand new models and first 10 to 20k miles. Brother s Range Rover blew engine after 1500 miles, sudden coolant leak then oil vaporized like a geyser through part of hood whilst on motorway. All replaced under warranty.

Its pretty tough talking about dealers, most are reluctant to name names fearing consequences should dealers happen to surf this site which is pretty well known. I have my own opinions about mine but the nearest alternative is 70+ miles round trip further and are they any better? Better the devil you know sometimes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, xman said:

Its pretty tough talking about dealers, most are reluctant to name names fearing consequences should dealers happen to surf this site which is pretty well known. I have my own opinions about mine but the nearest alternative is 70+ miles round trip further and are they any better? Better the devil you know sometimes.

As long as it's factual and without slander I don't see the issue. Companies should be outed for bad service and equally praised for good service. I openly mentioned in my complaint to the MD that I'd written about my experience on a popular Skoda forum. I'm not particularly bothered if he decides to find it or not; I'd imagine he has plenty of better things to do with his time. It's not like he's going to see something I hadn't already said in my complaint.

I've openly praised Simpsons in the past on this forum when I've had good service from them. I've written posts almost defending them in topics where they were slated by other members. Had there been a better resolution to my complaint and concerns, again I would have happily updated this thread reporting so. Perhaps I'm just unlucky and plenty of other people have good experiences with this dealer. I can only go off my own experience here.

At the end of the day, I realise I'm just a number and I'm sure their numbers will remain healthy regardless of where I personally take my car.

Shame you're geographically limited to have to put up with a poor dealer. 

• Like 1

It’s funny, in my dealings with Sytner Skoda in Junction when buying the Citigo, I was not exactly impressed and with good reason. The service manager however is an excellent chap and always makes the time to come and see me when I’m in there and is very good to me with discounts, free stuff, coffee and biscuits as well as being able to fit me in last minute and never leaving me waiting more than a few days for an appointment and in most cases a slot is found the next day. I will happily return there for more service work rather than jump ship to Mitchell in Cheshire Oaks who refused to entertain a repair on a heavily damaged seat in a Superb they were selling for £11k on principle (along with other efforts to wriggle out of their own sales promises). They get a good rep on here, but I’ve been there twice and got bad service on both occasions. My brother uses them though rather than Junction and he is happy however. It’s a strange old world.

• Like 1

On 07/02/2018 at 13:31, ahenners said:

I've always been quoted high prices for variable services. Limited room for manoeuvre here if the dealership won't move on price, as the prices listed on the Skoda site are for the fixed regime only.

Agree though... £245 is ridiculous for an oil and oil filter service.

VW were quoting silly money for a water pump and cam belt change on my Transporter. A friend is a manager at the dealer and gave me 46% off the labour but it still cost £470. While the van was in they suggested I needed new brakepads and discs at a further £560. It's going to the local garage for those at £250.  I did ask VW if they would price match and they politely declined and wished me a nice day. 

I live right in the middle of both Simpsons dealers at Preston and clone and wouldn't use either of them, the attitude at both is that's the price and we are doing you a favour by allowing you to have your car serviced with us,

I work in Rochdale and take mine to RRG there, always fit me in and always look after me, just had 90000 major service on mk2 fl tdi all in for £200

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Glass Back said:

I live right in the middle of both Simpsons dealers at Preston and clone and wouldn't use either of them, the attitude at both is that's the price and we are doing you a favour by allowing you to have your car serviced with us,

I work in Rochdale and take mine to RRG there, always fit me in and always look after me, just had 90000 major service on mk2 fl tdi all in for £200

Thanks for sharing, good to see it's not just me then! :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Glass Back said:

Useful info on RRG, I am picking my lease VRS 245 from there next month I think so will probably get the required services done with them.

• Like 1

Regarding my previous post about poor service. I had cause to complain recently about the parts I picked up from the Skoda dealer being the wrong part. They blamed Skoda UK. But I had wasted time taking my other car apart only to have to put it back together to use on Monday for work. After 5 days and me having to chase up the dealer, I managed to speak to the branch manager of Hayseldens of Doncaster.

They denied the oil topping up, of course.  Either way they overfilled my oil sump, enough to cause a leak on the oil filter housing. 

You can tell from a dipstick a car that was oil changed 10miles ago and one topped up and running on old oil for 10k.

There are other issues I had but won't bore you and highlighted a cost cutting theme. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fish Brothers in Swindon have charged me only for the work done on the first two services on my low mileage car. Cost something like £120 each time without any haggling. Seems pretty good compared with a lot of the experiences reported here.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rodge said:

Fish Brothers in Swindon have charged me only for the work done on the first two services on my low mileage car. Cost something like £120 each time without any haggling. Seems pretty good compared with a lot of the experiences reported here.

That is good, and how it should be really :cool: