Installing Speed Cameras on The Amundsen MIB2 - Free Database and Quite Simple to Do!

5 hours ago, Steveh3 said:

looks great, Any way to get that for other countries, like in France for instance?

If you download the pre-compiled ones from the website in my first post they cover all Europe including France. Otherwise, you could just download the VW ones from the same website and delete the countries you don't want and compile them as per my eleventh post.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Steveh3 said:

looks great, Any way to get that for other countries, like in France for instance?

Any system that shows camera alerts in France is illegal, and the gendarmes have been known to take a very dim view if they find one on a random stop - large fine and confiscation of the equipment has been reported. So all camera databases have removed French data...

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, SWBoy said:

Any system that shows camera alerts in France is illegal, and the gendarmes have been known to take a very dim view if they find one on a random stop - large fine and confiscation of the equipment has been reported. So all camera databases have removed French data...

Yes, thanks, you are quite correct - I should have added that no speed camera databases contain actual French speed cameras anymore. To get around this legal requirement the databases now use  " Danger Zones " instead and the database warns you if you are entering one of these zones when you are driving in France. These " Danger Zones " are provided in the files I have linked to in my first post.

1 minute ago, Nilsen said:

Will they work on any MIB1 units? I have the smaller Amundsen. Maybe someone already tried? 

I've tried on my MIB1 Amundsen and it's not possible to install them.

3 minutes ago, bigade1 said:

To get around this legal requirement the databases now use  " Danger Zones " instead and the database warns you if you are entering one of these zones when you are driving in France.

That could be an "interesting roadside discussion" with a Gendarme B)

Just now, SWBoy said:

I've tried on my MIB1 Amundsen and it's not possible to install them.

Thank You! I´ll search the forum for links to MIB1 POIs then

12 minutes ago, SWBoy said:

That could be an "interesting roadside discussion" with a Gendarme B)

It must be legal though because both Tomtom and Garmin have been using this method for the last two or three years. With the MIB1, does anywhere in the settings allow you to upload any custom POI's at all?

1 hour ago, SWBoy said:

Not that I've found...

Just found and downloaded an owner's manual for the Amundsen MIB1 and I agree with you. Unfortunately, it looks like there's no way these would work on a MIB1 or even if there's any other way of getting speed cameras on it.

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 07:32, maul said:

thats great to see. but does anybody know if it can work on mib1? columbus specifically?

Had several goes at this with a Columbus system and no joy unfortunately.  Tried updating via both the Manage Memory and specifically the updates to POIs options, but after 30+ seconds of scanning I get the Error: No valid updates available message.

Please let me know if anyone finds a work around for this on a Columbus system, thanks!

6 minutes ago, TechyDonkey said:

Had several goes at this with a Columbus system and no joy unfortunately.  Tried updating via both the Manage Memory and specifically the updates to POIs options, but after 30+ seconds of scanning I get the Error: No valid updates available message.

Please let me know if anyone finds a work around for this on a Columbus system, thanks!

Unfortunately, I haven't got a Columbus system to try myself but the error message that you are getting is exactly the same one that I was getting when I first tried to install cameras. It was because I was trying to install the wrong folder and also using a usb stick. It is imperative that you only copy the stated named folders in my first post to a sd card. Are you quite sure you are doing that? 

18 minutes ago, bigade1 said:

Unfortunately, I haven't got a Columbus system to try myself but the error message that you are getting is exactly the same one that I was getting when I first tried to install cameras. It was because I was trying to install the wrong folder and also using a usb stick. It is imperative that you only copy the stated named folders in my first post to a sd card. Are you quite sure you are doing that? 

Yup, afraid so.  Just repeated the whole process through again:

- Downloaded and saved your zipped link.

- Extracted all the files out to a separate folder on my hard drive.

- Formatted my SD card again (doing just the same as I've already done for the huge 25GB+ map update from Skoda today - FAT32 not NTFS).

- Copied over to the blank SD just the PersonalPOI folder, together with the metainfo2 file.

- Tried the card in both the SD1 and SD2 slots.  I'm using both the Manage Memory (POI option within this), and also the Software Update options.

I'm using a proper PC, so no hidden files I know Apple puts on SD cards, and there's no other files on the card.  The card itself seems fine and the car has already spent the best part of an hour applying all the latest map updates for Europe from it.  Formatted exactly the same way every time I use it.  :dry:

Anyone else got any other suggestions? :o

@TechyDonkey From what you've stated - you've done it spot on :biggrin:. Wish there was someone near me so I could have a play about with their system. Meantime, I will download and read the user manual and if I get any ideas I will let you know.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigade1 said:

@TechyDonkey From what you've stated - you've done it spot on :biggrin:. Wish there was someone near me so I could have a play about with their system. Meantime, I will download and read the user manual and if I get any ideas I will let you know.

Great - thank you! ;)

• Like 1

@TechyDonkey

Just came across a thread by Rainmaker in the Skoda Superb section so all credit to him if this works for your Columbus unit. Please can you try again using the attachment in my first post but this time delete my original metainfo2.txt file and replace it with the one attached to this post and let me know if you have any joy. Please remember, only use a sd card and only copy the folder named PersonalPOI along with the new metainfo2.txt file onto the sd card. Thanks.

metainfo2.txt

• Like 1

Here's my current latest version ( April 2018 ) if anyone wants to use them. It contains UK only fixed/static gatso cameras and traffic light cameras along with my preferred icons for them. Install as explained in my first post i.e. only place the PersonalPOI folder and metainfo2.txt onto your sd card and remember to select and tick the poi categories after performing the update or they will not show on your map.

UK Speedcams April 2018.zip

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigade1 said:

Here's my current latest version ( April 2018 ) if anyone wants to use them. It contains UK only fixed/static gatso cameras and traffic light cameras along with my preferred icons for them. Install as explained in my first post i.e. only place the PersonalPOI folder and metainfo2.txt onto your sd card and remember to select and tick the poi categories after performing the update or they will not show on your map.

UK Speedcams April 2018.zip

That is very generous of you. I was looking at your instructions earlier wondering if I actually have the skills to complete the compilation and formatting, so for you to post the file having done all the work again is fantastic - thank you. I have installed the update already   :^]

• Like 1

Brilliant, thanks again Bigade1

April 2018 done succesfully

If i do the next map update (May/June) presumably I have to re-install the POI database afterwards?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jagdad said:

Brilliant, thanks again Bigade1

April 2018 done succesfully

If i do the next map update (May/June) presumably I have to re-install the POI database afterwards?

I wouldn't have thought so but don't quote me because I'm not really sure :wondering:. The poi files are installed into the actual unit while the map data stays on the sd card so logic would say that you wouldn't have to reinstall them. 

Bigade1, how would I combine your camera database with one produced for National Trust properties (for instance)? as I believe each POI download to MIB clears the previous one?

2 hours ago, jagdad said:

Bigade1, how would I combine your camera database with one produced for National Trust properties (for instance)? as I believe each POI download to MIB clears the previous one?

Yes, you are correct. Basically, you would have to make your very own customized PersonalPOI folder using this site : http://www.volkswagen-nav-companion.de/mib/ppoi/ppoi.jsf ( as this site is in the German language then Google translate is your friend ). You would need a camera database in .csv format and a matching icon of your choice and then you would add your National Trust database and matching icon. You can add further POIs up to a certain limit if you wish to do so. Once completed, download, unzip and place the relevant files onto a sd card and update your unit and then in the relevant settings tick the POI categories that you want displayed on your map.

Excellent  - I have now attempted this and managed to combine (amalgamated) fixed cameras, Red Light Cameras and the National Trust site and compiled it with the VW Nav Companion successfully (The Skoda version seemed to dislike CSV files?)

I'm very pleased with the result, thanks again Bigade1 for your help.

p.s I also added the National Trust database to my portable Garmin (for use in other car), which I didn't know was possible until today