Canton or not ?

2 hours ago, Gabbo said:

For me 600gbp is a lot to spend on an audio system in a car.

If I add up all the audio Equipment in my house, none of it comes to that cost.

Unless you listen to music with a lot of bass or bottom end, then the standard system is pretty good for me.

I have to say the firmware upgrade on the Columbus unit which reduced the compression applied to the speaker output was a noticable improvement though.

Do you know what update that was? Currently on 0360 but I know 0411 is the latest.

Lee

15 hours ago, logiclee said:

Do you know what update that was? Currently on 0360 but I know 0411 is the latest.

Lee

I will try to remember to check it tonight but from memory it was 0409. (the sound update was actually released in a previous update I think).

It was updated about a year ago by my dealer after I complained about mp3s always restarting from the 1st track on the SD-Card.

However, there are some threads on the forum with instructions for how to find & install the update yourself.

With the older firmware, when I turned the volume up you would get a kind of phasing effect in time with the bass as the output was cut to limit the bass to the speaker.

It wasn't apparent all of the time but with some songs with a heavy bass drum & clear trebble it was quite horrible to listen to.

After the update the sound is consistant even at louder volumes & the clipping seems more subtle but still enough to prevent the speakers from distorting.

We are driving now our third O3, two of them with basic sound and one with Canton. From 2015 basic sounds noticeable better then 2013.

Canton was definitely worthy upgrade, quite significantly better then basic one, although aftermarket for this money must be even better. If you aren't mind somebody digging around your new car, or you will do it yourself, why the hell not. I was not the fan of latter, so speced the car from the start as I wanted it.

2 hours ago, nidza said:

Canton was definitely worthy upgrade, quite significantly better then basic one, although aftermarket for this money must be even better.

How much aftermarket kit + time/labour are you going to get with £500? Unless it's significantly more expensive in other non-UK markets?!

3 minutes ago, ahenners said:

How much aftermarket kit + time/labour are you going to get with £500? Unless it's significantly more expensive in other non-UK markets?!

Not much! I remember working for Halfords and charging £65 just to install a sub / amp, which didn’t include the wiring kit or anything...and that was 12 years ago!

Edited by GoneToBeemer

I was in the same position as you, I tested out the standard system and then the canton system. Although the canton system was better I felt it wasn’t £500 better but that’s my opinion I also work with loud machinery :D 

Ive had premium sound systems in cars (Bose in my old alfa and Harmon kardon I’m my current mini) I find them alright but nothing compared to actual HK or Bose products which annoys me. 

49 minutes ago, Cm11 said:

Ive had premium sound systems in cars (Bose in my old alfa and Harmon kardon I’m my current mini) I find them alright but nothing compared to actual HK or Bose products which annoys me. 

The issue is that cars are one of the worst environments acoustically to install a sound system, no matter how good it is, so will never sound as good as it will at home etc.

So I've been looking on with interest at this thread.  As someone with a background in acoustic engineering, I would say cars aren't ideal spaces to listen to music no matter how many hundreds (or in some cases thousands) you spend.  Some of that is down to sub-optimal speaker placement or course, regardless of of whether you go for standard or upgrade to Canton - and that can be said of almost every car.

I have the Dynaudio version in my MK7 Golf Estate...we get the sub in the spare wheel well (skinny space save upsidedown with sub sitting inside)...& therefore better base than the Octavia set up...

However as has been said a car is rubbish as a sound stage & basically you are driving it, & supposed to be concentrating...ok if you are parked waiting for someone then ok...

I bought because the system is way better than the standard & saves me spending more to get the same quality & saves me ripping the inside out....been there done that..

My Home system is very small & circa £1,000....but can play higher def full studio master downloads at 24bit 192kHz Flac files...which make CD (16bit 44kHz) sound like compressed MP3.... :D

Edited by fabdavrav
  • Like 1

Just now, Swirly182 said:

Sub sitting inside a space saver spare wheel. Is it really a better set up?! 

Yes space saver is face down, sub sits inside & has the whole of the underside of the boot & wheel well to use as a bass box......sub firing into the boot sound alters the more stuff you put in the boot...my spare wheel well is free of stuff plus I have it on the high floor level..so a nice big bass box...B)

1 hour ago, fabdavrav said:

...studio master downloads at 24bit 192kHz Flac files...which make CD (16bit 44kHz) sound like compressed MP3.... :D

Not to be picky but studio master files will either be WAV or Aiff depending on the DAW.  Whilst not the most efficient, they're still king when bouncing an audio track. Sorry, audio recording is kind of my bag. 

Anyway, to summarise if you can afford the Canton system get it - but don't expect the world. If you can't afford it don't worry too much, the standard setup isn't all that bad. 

On a similar note my Fiesta which is soon to make way for my new Octy in a couple of weeks had an upgraded factory Sony system - unfortunately the car couldn't cope and the doors just rattle when you turn the volume up...I will not miss that!

Edited by jtalep

The stock speakers (non-Canton) is quite decent, you just need a good source to make the most of it. I recently obtained a LG V30+, this phone has a built in quad DAC. It's intended to drive headphones but works really well as a source for the car (via AUX input). Contrary to what people has experienced regarding the stock speaker, the bass, well mid-bass is extremely punchy, it won't reach the lowest frequency as it lacks proper subwoofer but I imagine it would be enough for most people. Staging is quite good and the sound is effortless, neutral and really clean with no rattle (surprisingly). Very good sound quality I must say, slightly better than Harman Kardon gear in my previous C Class.

6 hours ago, 99Reza said:

The stock speakers (non-Canton) is quite decent, you just need a good source to make the most of it. I recently obtained a LG V30+, this phone has a built in quad DAC. It's intended to drive headphones but works really well as a source for the car (via AUX input). Contrary to what people has experienced regarding the stock speaker, the bass, well mid-bass is extremely punchy, it won't reach the lowest frequency as it lacks proper subwoofer but I imagine it would be enough for most people. Staging is quite good and the sound is effortless, neutral and really clean with no rattle (surprisingly). Very good sound quality I must say, slightly better than Harman Kardon gear in my previous C Class.

The audio on the LG V30 is incredible via the headphone jack! I got one recently but sent it back as the screen wasn't correctly balanced - bottom third had a different tone to top two thirds.

9 hours ago, jtalep said:

Not to be picky but studio master files will either be WAV or Aiff depending on the DAW.  Whilst not the most efficient, they're still king when bouncing an audio track. Sorry, audio recording is kind of my bag. 

Anyway, to summarise if you can afford the Canton system get it - but don't expect the world. If you can't afford it don't worry too much, the standard setup isn't all that bad. 

On a similar note my Fiesta which is soon to make way for my new Octy in a couple of weeks had an upgraded factory Sony system - unfortunately the car couldn't cope and the doors just rattle when you turn the volume up...I will not miss that!

There are several studio recording websites which sell their downloads as FLAC....which is where I get some of my music from...mind you they are high end & obscure websites...not mainstream..

Re the CD, article that you originally quoted but edited out, a CD & the FLAC of a CD you can't tell the difference, but a CD which is native 16bit & 44kHz compared to a studio master at 24bit & 192kHz....you can tell the difference..............even the mid ground of 96kHz you can tell the difference....well I can.....on the stuff I have in multiple formats...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, fabdavrav said:

There are several studio recording websites which sell their downloads as FLAC....which is where I get some of my music from...mind you they are high end & obscure websites...not mainstream..

Re the CD, article that you originally quoted but edited out, a CD & the FLAC of a CD you can't tell the difference, but a CD which is native 16bit & 44kHz compared to a studio master at 24bit & 192kHz....you can tell the difference..............even the mid ground of 96kHz you can tell the difference....well I can.....on the stuff I have in multiple formats...

Recording studios don't output in FLAC and neither do mastering engineers. They will output in WAV or Aiff then convert to FLAC to sell to consumers because it's a more manageable file size.

You're welcome to your opinion though, if you hear a difference that's great, unusual, but great :)

Edited by jtalep

56 minutes ago, jtalep said:

You're welcome to your opinion though, if you hear a difference that's great, unusual, but great :)

I've done blind listening test on a few of my friends & they could tell the differences......but then it does rely on the quality of the original recording...many general pop stuff is badly recorded & MP3 320 is the max usable quality....

But when you listen to stuff recorded by Sheffield labs, Naim, Linn, etc the quality makes the most of the full original size be it 96kHz or 192kHz...

• Haha 1