280 Sportline ordered

Had a similar incident with a fiesta st. Think they were a little shocked when I left them as the speed limit went from 30 to 60. Took them a little while and exceeding the speed limit to catch me back up.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, penguin17 said:

I like that story.  It makes me smile. 

Though, I can't help but feel you took joy in posting it to further rub my face in it :angry::biggrin:

Then you'll like this!

Lifted last night - quick drive home and then a run to work and back today lovely motor. Just quick pics taken yesterday evening. Looking forward to having it run in

D

InkedIMG_20180417_203357504_LI.jpg

InkedIMG_20180417_203413144_LI.jpg

• Like 2

Hey everyone, I said before that my order date was a single day after one of you guys (15th Feb) and my car only got a build date today! (Original build date was supposed to be this week!)

turns out the lines are getting theit spec adjustments for the new lower spec Sportlines (and higher spec Sportline “pluses”).

As my Sportline should be coming with a 8 inch Columbus system and the Skoda configurator now only shows a 8-inch Amundsen on the (now cheaper) Sportline, i’m more than hopeful that I get the ‘free’ upgrade to the 9.2. Here’s hoping they don’t find an 8 inch Columbus in the parts bin! 

Was anyone else aware of these updates? I wouldn’t have known until the mentioned specification changes when I phoned today- so I did some research! 

I’m awaiting a 220 MG Combi Sportline! Build week number 21 next now! if i’d Know about the changes I might have paid the few £ for the plus!!

42 minutes ago, davyg said:

Then you'll like this!

Lifted last night - quick drive home and then a run to work and back today lovely motor. Just quick pics taken yesterday evening. Looking forward to having it run in

D

InkedIMG_20180417_203357504_LI.jpg

InkedIMG_20180417_203413144_LI.jpg

Oh my! 

This pleases me. That looks very very nice. 

Happy so far ? 

• Like 1

Very.

Coming from a 14yo motor really liking the tech and canton

Dsg going to take some getting used to-still going for the clutch!

Planning my list of things to do to it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, RJ_Mac said:

Hey everyone, I said before that my order date was a single day after one of you guys (15th Feb) and my car only got a build date today! (Original build date was supposed to be this week!)

turns out the lines are getting theit spec adjustments for the new lower spec Sportlines (and higher spec Sportline “pluses”).

As my Sportline should be coming with a 8 inch Columbus system and the Skoda configurator now only shows a 8-inch Amundsen on the (now cheaper) Sportline, i’m more than hopeful that I get the ‘free’ upgrade to the 9.2. Here’s hoping they don’t find an 8 inch Columbus in the parts bin! 

Was anyone else aware of these updates? I wouldn’t have known until the mentioned specification changes when I phoned today- so I did some research! 

I’m awaiting a 220 MG Combi Sportline! Build week number 21 next now! if i’d Know about the changes I might have paid the few £ for the plus!!

It's a bit of a tough one as you're pretty much just over the 'threshold' of when the Plus trim was introduced.  Hard to say if the factory will have honored the spec from when you ordered or from when the new changes were introduced.  It's a bit of a lotto judging from other posts I've read on here and they cover their backsides with a 'Subject to change' statement on the order details.  The supplying dealer should be able to tell you for definite though. 

Fingers crossed that Skoda see the benefit of giving you a spec that gets them more money, seeing as the list price for the standard Sportline is now lower.  So make sure you're pricing is adjusted IAW the spec you get. 

8 hours ago, Flordan said:

With similar engine does the 280 sportline have the same engine note and exhaust sound as the Golf R?

I'm commenting based on limited experience.  2 test drives of the Superb 280 and 1 in the Golf R but a passenger in one on several occasions.

You get the pops and crackles in the Golf R and it sound quite good for a 4 pot.  It suits the car but I found it a little intrusive when you'd rather be cruising along without any unnecessary cabin noise.  It's very clear when you're giving it the beans, from inside and out. 

The 280 doesn't do pops and crackles, it is more vocal and fruity at higher revs but it's not intrusive when you're at motorway cruising speeds.  It suits the car quite well IMO as it's a discreet engine/exhaust note that just lets the car slip under the radar.    There's some butterfly valves in the exhaust that open up when you're giving it the beans but I didn't notice that much from inside the car, I bet you could from the exterior if you were stood behind it though. 

I think the exhaust notes/systems of the cars have been tailored to the audience they are likely catering for.  I like the fact the 280 is a Q car/sleeper.  Only the visible exhaust pipes give it away and not many people will know that anyway. 

I'm sure a 280 owner will be able to comment further; the above is based on my limited exposure to both cars. 

HTH

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Boxerdog1 said:

It's pretty subdued most of the time ..... but when you pass through 3000rpm on a heavy throttle it has it's own distinct growl.    :)

Totally agree with this.

You will find then when you first start the car it is slightly more vocal, then after a min or so the valve closes off and it quietens down again. Seems to do this after the revs drop back to a normal idle if you are starting from cold.

It is a nice noise.  Having driven an R on test drive I agree with @penguin17

If you want a proper noise from a hatchback the Hyundai i30N is hilarious and sounds fantastic.  Proper crackles and banks on the up shift and blipping on the downshift.  Maybe defecting to one :wondering:.  Wife wants a fun car and nothing from Skoda appeals to be honest.

Back on topic, the noise it makes suits the car perfectly, A nice sound and enough when you give it the beans but nothing too loud when you are cruising the motorway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree with Penguin too. It's not unpleasant and certainly not boorish as it doesn't do the hot hatch theatrics, but neither is it what you'd call sonorous in the manner of the Alfa 1750 in the 4C which proves modern high-boost four-pots can sound pretty good.

Just wish it didn't have the fake noise, I'd like to hear how loud (or otherwise) I'm actually being.

My (Sport line-MG 220 Estate) build is now week 21 (May 21st).

hopefully that gets the car to my dealer before the end of a June (when my current lease goes back). 

Looks like my hold up in the factory regarding the Sportline/Plus has got me an upgrade to the 9.2 Sat-nav so I mustn’t grumble. Just a pity as  the car will end up being very close to a plus spec, just without the designation (only missing the dynamic steering and blind spot detection). 

How long from build to a uk dealer?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RJ_Mac said:

My (Sport line-MG 220 Estate) build is now week 21 (May 21st).

hopefully that gets the car to my dealer before the end of a June (when my current lease goes back). 

Looks like my hold up in the factory regarding the Sportline/Plus has got me an upgrade to the 9.2 Sat-nav so I mustn’t grumble. Just a pity as  the car will end up being very close to a plus spec, just without the designation (only missing the dynamic steering and blind spot detection). 

How long from build to a uk dealer?

Depends. Seems like there’s delays downstream of the factory at the moment. 

4-6 weeks is usual. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, flyingpigvrs said:

I think the 9.2 Columbus is standard now. 

I collected my 220 sportline on Wednesday, ordered mid December.

It came with the 9.2 Columbus and mine has been at the dealers since start of march. 

Not on the standard model.  Columbus is now only standard on the Sportline Plus.  

12 hours ago, flyingpigvrs said:

I think the 9.2 Columbus is standard now. 

I collected my 220 sportline on Wednesday, ordered mid December.

It came with the 9.2 Columbus and mine has been at the dealers since start of march. 

12 hours ago, penguin17 said:

Not on the standard model.  Columbus is now only standard on the Sportline Plus.  

Yeah, previously the Sportline was an 8 inch Columbus I think, now they will be 8.0 Amundsen. Sportline plus gets the 9.2 (or it’s an £885 option on the Sport Line). Seems like the Columbus 8.0 is no more so those awaiting the (now old) Sport Line will get the free upgrade to the 9.2. Until the old orders are cleared. 

My car has been on order since mid February and isn’t getting built until 21st May, so I was hoping that the delay was related to a spec upgrade (i’m one option from it being a plus).

No such luck & clearly nothing to do with the 9.2 if you’ve had it as a free upgrade on yours since last month.

Dealer did say i’d Get front parking sensors now mind you.

This time next week I'll have collected mine. 

Ordered in Feb, built in March. The spec at the time was a 9.2 Columbus, so it will be interesting to see what it comes with.

Sportline spec.JPG

21 minutes ago, CoolC said:

This time next week I'll have collected mine. 

Ordered in Feb, built in March. The spec at the time was a 9.2 Columbus, so it will be interesting to see what it comes with.

Sportline spec.JPG

Same as me. The Spec should be as you’ve posted, or so I’ve been assured by the dealer and Škoda UK.  

I think we both got ours built before the Sportline Plus was even available. We should be ok (I hope!) 

My car is still at Grimsby with a transport order (just) raised for onward travel to the dealer but no dates are on the system so it could be another 1-2 weeks before the car has left the docks.  The car arrived on the 13th April. 

Not heard a peep from the dealer despite being promised an update - expected on Monday then again today; nothing! I had to find out from Skoda CS' as I had provisionally booked Friday off work to go and collect, based on previous timescales.  There's also been other areas where the dealer has said they are waiting on info from Skoda and VWFS but when I was on the phone to VWFS for something related to my current deal I queried the hold up only to be told the dealer has had the info and relevant paperwork for over a week, I was even sent email confirmation to prove it.   The dealer has still not presented me with this information and does not know I have it.  I'm just waiting to see what I'm told next....

I was initially told 18 weeks, the car was built much sooner.  That was a bonus and TBH if the dealer just maintained it would be end of May/early June delivery then I'd have still just held on and been stupidly excited but now they are waffling and feeding me complete BS, which makes a difference.  I don't like being blatantly lied to.   I'll let it continue for another week and then I'll be requesting a deposit refund. 

Ah well, there goes my hopes of enjoying the car over a long, bank holiday w'end. 

EDIT: P.S - I'm starting to think something is wrong with my car, or it's been damaged in transit. (but probably just being overly negative and paranoid)   Maybe the dock workers think it's been primed for painting but never got done? :biggrin:

Edited by penguin17

14 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

My car is still at Grimsby with a transport order (just) raised for onward travel to the dealer but no dates are on the system so it could be another 1-2 weeks before the car has left the docks.  The car arrived on the 13th April. 

Not heard a peep from the dealer despite being promised an update - expected on Monday then again today; nothing! I had to find out from Skoda CS' as I had provisionally booked Friday off work to go and collect, based on previous timescales.  There's also been other areas where the dealer has said they are waiting on info from Skoda and VWFS but when I was on the phone to VWFS for something related to my current deal I queried the hold up only to be told the dealer has had the info and relevant paperwork for over a week, I was even sent email confirmation to prove it.   The dealer has still not presented me with this information and does not know I have it.  I'm just waiting to see what I'm told next....

I was initially told 18 weeks, the car was built much sooner.  That was a bonus and TBH if the dealer just maintained it would be end of May/early June delivery then I'd have still just held on and been stupidly excited but now they are waffling and feeding me complete BS, which makes a difference.  I don't like being blatantly lied to.   I'll let it continue for another week and then I'll be requesting a deposit refund. 

Ah well, there goes my hopes of enjoying the car over a long, bank holiday w'end. 

EDIT: P.S - I'm starting to think something is wrong with my car, or it's been damaged in transit. (but probably just being overly negative and paranoid)   Maybe the dock workers think it's been primed for painting but never got done? :biggrin:

Penguin, is the dealer in question local to us?

Edited by Jon TDI

2 minutes ago, Jon TDI said:

Penguin, is it the dealer in question local to us?

No.  They never returned my calls or responded to their online query tool.    After a few tries I gave up and started calling around. 

Edited by penguin17

1 minute ago, penguin17 said:

No.  They never returned my calls or responded to their online query tool.    After a few tries I gave up and started calling around. 

Ah. Same here.

They were spot on when I had my Fabia vRS back in 2004, but have gone down hill in my opinion, except the guys in the parts dept who are helpful.

• Thanks 1