Boot space for 4 largest suit cases?

Would an Octavia 3 hatchback boot able to fit 4 largest sized airplane luggage? Four of something similar to this one at 82 x 53 x 36 cm. 

They will also have 2 carry-on bags and 2 backpacks, the smaller items can go on the seats. It's the 4 large luggage I'm worried might not fit in the boot. Got in-laws coming to stay for 3 months to help with our first baby, they are bringing a LOT of stuff.

What's the maximum amount of luggage you've fitted into your Octavia boot with seats up?

Well, not quite. The video doesn't say whether they are the largest regular size cases or just a relatively large case.

According to this thread, boot width is only 101cm wide so shouldn't be able to have 2 largest size cases side by side like in the video.

I'm hoping to be able to have 3 on its side, that would be 108cm......... not sure where the 4th one will go..

A suitcase measuring 83x53x36 occupies about 156 litres so I think you will struggle to fit four and other luggage in.

You would probably get away with if only 3 people in car and lower the larger unoccupied rear seatback.

Iffy with four people with two slim people in the back and lowering the smaller rear seatback.

Does the sedan have an offset  split rear seat though?

Edited by Gerrycan

Sorry, I should clarify. I already own the car, but first time carrying so much stuff.

I was wondering whether people have done something similar and know of any luggage Tetris tips that will make 4 large cases fit in the boot.

The car does have 60/40 split rear seat, it was a my fall-back option to put down the 40 split and put one of the large case there. Or perhaps put one in the footwell of the rear seat by moving front passenger seat all the way forward. Or put one in the front seat and 3 sit in the back.

156x4 = 624 litres, bigger than Octavia's quoted 590l. BUT is that with the parcel shelf in? Remove the shelf it might fit?

The official size is the maximum size and unless you have the perfect tetris combination luggage there is always some wasted space.

There is just over a metre width between the wheel arches as you said but only 83cm from the top of the rear seats to the rear of the boot. It would be a struggle in an estate.

My wife and I went to the Uk with just two similar sized suitcases and hand luggage. A real struggle to fit 3 people and them in a merc C series, but much easier in a Fiesta believe it or not.

The other risk you face is that the suitcases are packed in expanded mode.

I could only manage to put 3 large suitcase like yours and that was it. No matter how I tried - flat, upright, sideways - just didn`t work and I ended up using the rear seat for the 4th luggage. However I did leave the parcelshelf on and without that you might be able to fit all4 in. Or perhaps your in-laws could use 2 smaller case instead of 1 big and it gives you more ways to play around in the boot.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, imikk3 said:

I could only manage to put 3 large suitcase like yours and that was it. No matter how I tried - flat, upright, sideways - just didn`t work and I ended up using the rear seat for the 4th luggage. However I did leave the parcelshelf on and without that you might be able to fit all4 in. Or perhaps your in-laws could use 2 smaller case instead of 1 big and it gives you more ways to play around in the boot.

My I ask how did you fit 3 in the boot with parcel shelf in?

• 1 month later...
On ‎23‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 08:52, wyx087 said:

Would an Octavia 3 hatchback boot able to fit 4 largest sized airplane luggage? Four of something similar to this one at 82 x 53 x 36 cm. 

They will also have 2 carry-on bags and 2 backpacks, the smaller items can go on the seats. It's the 4 large luggage I'm worried might not fit in the boot. Got in-laws coming to stay for 3 months to help with our first baby, they are bringing a LOT of stuff.

What's the maximum amount of luggage you've fitted into your Octavia boot with seats up?

Removed parcel last September and got 4 large suitcases in my FL Octavia Hatch, which did surprise me all weighed just under 23kg each as was on Kenya Airways flight, allowance 2 suitcases each adult.

• Thanks 1

If you are picking up the in laws and their luggage essentially you would only need to have to seat 3 or if that is still an issue, collect all the luggage from in laws after dropping them at the train or coach station 

of course you could explain that they don't NEED so much luggage, most houses have a washing machine 

if all else fails transport some of the luggage by a courier ??

• Haha 1

Could you remove the parcel shelf, stand one or two cases behind the seats?

With the estate I have a little more room between the shut-lines and the glass, if you're careful you may have the same.

If only mother- and father-in-law, flatten side and middle seat, might be able to get two or three if lying on their side?

Or if your profile is correct (N. London) father-in-law can catch an uber with half the luggage?

Load the first 2 side by side flat, then the next 2 on top, after removing the parcel shelf, still leaves enough room for 2 carry on, or 3 on their edge and 1 on top, after removing the parcel shelf, its amassing how folk go away on holiday when your a taxi driver , 

Edited by skippy41

This is how I did it in the end, with a large suit case in footwell of the back seat.  My wife didn’t go in the end, so only had to carry 2 passengers. 

70CD20E6-8584-4FF9-994A-4023C79A7D96.jpeg

• Like 1

Good work that man!  

Amuses me that this thread lasted so long. 

Ultimately, we usually find a way of fitting it all in on the day when it all happens. Needs must and all that!

Does anyone recall Sport Billy cartoon, way way back in the past? 

I think Octavia fits in the description of his little yellow bag, but in the car's world.

26378708857_2735e097d8_b.jpg

Amazing trunk this car has. These are all four 19" Xtreme wheels.

6 hours ago, wyx087 said:

This is how I did it in the end, with a large suit case in footwell of the back seat.  My wife didn’t go in the end, so only had to carry 2 passengers. 

70CD20E6-8584-4FF9-994A-4023C79A7D96.jpeg

The last case might have fitted horizontally across the back of the headrests? (Worst case scenario)

By the way, have you thought of starting a removals company? :D

• Like 1

The fun comes with kiddy paraphernalia - buggies with removable wheels, high chairs etc. A lot more swearing and shoving, sadly no option to leave the screaming one behind!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MattChr said:

The fun comes with kiddy paraphernalia - buggies with removable wheels, high chairs etc. A lot more swearing and shoving, sadly no option to leave the screaming one behind!

The first time we went away with our oldest (in our Mk1 Fabia hatch) she was absolutely surrounded by pretty much everything we had, I had to be careful not to corner too hard in case something fell on her! At that point we decided that we really should have bought the estate in the first place

We got 4x Antler Aire Large in the boot of a mk2 Octavia no problems and some other hand luggage (ruck sacks) the suitcases fitted perfectly. https://www.antler.co.uk/aire-large-suitcase-navy?gclid=CjwKCAjw-6bWBRBiEiwA_K1ZDVcK_NtlpPm3izhAZSHGsM5Hwbolzp-l6YcrwZzsf1HiLrRXcFsXZhoCQOoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I wouldn't go any bigger.