In administration

Macdemon

@Lee01 Graham Harris would blame Brexit or anything else other than his failure to evolve. 

1m patch cable Maplins £8.99

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/1m-grey-cat6-utp-ethernet-patch-cable-a36wl

1m patch cable Amazon 99p

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Cat5e-Ethernet-Cable-Network-White/dp/B00066HP0G/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1520020591&sr=8-13&keywords=1m+patch+cable+cat6

I can see why the value of pound means you have to charge 10x as much. I can see why consumer confidence in Maplins is lacking. What a hand job. 

• Like 2

Just now, Lee01 said:

You've fallen at the first hurdle.......... Try another one.

Claim: The European Union is so corrupt that the European Court of Auditors has not signed off its accounts for 20 years.

Reality Check verdict: The Court of Auditors has signed the EU accounts every year since 2007, while pointing out that EU countries, once they receive the EU funds, misuse about 4.4% of the total budget.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36276175

Yes, riddled with errors, you lose again.

1 minute ago, Macdemon said:

And we ALL know how balanced and impartial the BBC is don't we????    ;)

Yes. Having had Nigel Farage appear on Question Time 32 times despite UKIP not having any seats we do, don't we. 

I won't stand by and let the Government sell us down the river, we're greater that that.

Don't think you want that either.

3 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

I'd hate to see the quality of the 99p one. 

That wasn’t the cheapest, that was 69p. Either one will be comparable in quality to Even a branded Belkin cable is £2.22, less than 25% of the price a Maplin cable. Still a hand job

• Like 1

I've been looking at replacing my current CCTV system, and have noted Maplin have in the last few days cancelled their promo prices, and increased the prices of their other systems by what looks like at least £100.

12 hours ago, Lee01 said:

Imports of electrical components are predominately in US Dollars, occasionally in Euros from Europe and after June 23rd 2016 that exchange rate move downwards by almost 20%.  As my old firm, the Administrators for Maplins say:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43223175

Zelf Hussain, joint administrator and PwC partner, said: "The challenging conditions in the UK retail sector are well documented.   "Like many other retailers, Maplin has been hit hard by a slowdown in consumer spending and more expensive imports as the pound has weakened," he said. "Staff have been paid their February wages and will continue to be paid for future work while the company is in administration."

==============================================================

The British pound has started to recover against the US Dollar and had actually got to 1.42 last month (it was 1.47 in June 16 but dropped to almost 1.2 in late 16, early 17), it has now dropped back to 1.37.

Many of these such business made it through the Xmas 2017 period but are now in the quite retail phase of Q1 2018 and I expect we will see many more of these such failures.

Year on Year inflation of 3 to 4% and wages rises around 2% result in less spending on the High Street and more companies falling in to Administration.  

On 28/02/2018 at 12:52, octyal said:

Shame about Maplin's, probably couldn't compete with the online world either - I remember Tandy going the same way in the late 80's....

I don't think Tandy was struggling against the internet in the late 80s!

They were bought by Carphone Warehouse who wanted the Wednesbury distribution centre, and some of the high street locations. Those that weren't rebranded were closed down.

That's when Maplin started moving from just the hobbyist market and stores on industrial estates and went onto the high street.

2 hours ago, lol-lol said:

Imports of electrical components are predominately in US Dollars, occasionally in Euros from Europe and after June 23rd 2016 that exchange rate move downwards by almost 20%.  

...and this would be the same for Maplin's competitors, so I guess they will also be going into administration soon?

I buy quite a lot of electrical components through RS and I can't say I have noticed a massive increase in prices.

Maplin didn't have the sales to cover their costs. Having worked for Maplin back in 2007/8 I was a manager for a store in a university city. The store was tiny and took around 12k a week. It was in the middle of a few university campuses on the ground floor of an office block on a main road in the city. No way were we making enough to cover our rent, rates, wages and other costs. We were there purely because it was a good location and it stopped people going to our competitors for travel adaptors etc. 

Maplin kind of lost its way a bit, recently it has been trying to turn itself into the go to destination for home automation but they don't have the staff or knowledge to do that properly. But I wouldn't think of going there to buy my electric ride on for my kids..which seem to be at the front of every store. Seemed to be trying to hard with the wrong products rather than focusing on what they were good at. The likes of screwfix etc took away a certain element of their components and cable by the metre business too. 

Its a shame, as I've always liked Maplin and believe there is still a place on the high street for them, just not in their current form.

As to the wider issues, at some point I believe the high street will come back. Right now, the internet is convenient, cheaper generally and such like. Once all the shops are gone, independents will pop back up. I for one wouldn't go and buy a lot of items without touching and feeling them first. We won't need the big box outlets that will most likely be flattened and houses built, but even the likes of Amazon are going to need small units (even the old Argos's that are now lying vacant) as a location for customers to see it, buy it. I think Argos/Sainsburys have shot themselves in the foot with moving Argos into Sainsbury's as they are leaving some very attractive units vacant for similar "catalogue/online" stores to pop up. Big warehouses, small frontages ready to go. 

• Like 1

I used to use Tandy quite a bit in the past, I think that they still exist inside some other shops like maybe Euronics, might be wrong though (Intertan). Maplin, yes used them for a few items, what used to annoy me about them was the fact that they tended to stock 3-off of some rechargeable battery sizes - and I invariably needed 4-off, so needed to go back a week later for the single one, or pay huge postage charges.

I suppose there has been a downturn in people being creative and making/planning their own projects, there used to be a very good components seller locally aimed as much at the DIYer as at the commercial repairer - as well as an old school "wireless" sales place aimed at projects etc run by "people from the past" - now an Irish style pub, a sign of the times! 

@lol-lol Maplins have posted losses in their account (see Companies House) since March 2016.

When was the referendum? 

How strong was the pound to the US dollar then?

Despite these losses their creditors have increased far higher than the losses incurred.  Probably down to their 2020 plan (see the 2017 accounts) which includes the move to home installations that Chris mentioned, probably funded on bank loans. Maplins problems started well before Brexit when they lost touch with their consumers. 

Reference Maplin and their CCTV installation service.

The rough guide from the instore price guide was whatever you paid for the CCTV system was the price for the install. 

The only difference between the 4 and 6 camera system I looked at was the additional 2 cameras, all the other componentry were identical, yet the installation price was £200 more for the 6 camera system. I couldn't see it costing anymore than around £50, but definitely not £200.

The guy in the shop I spoke to said very few people were taking the install option. 

8 hours ago, rum4mo said:

I used to use Tandy quite a bit in the past, I think that they still exist inside some other shops like maybe Euronics, might be wrong though (Intertan).

Some of the Ex-Tandy head office staff were running a business that imported Radio Shack branded parts from the US (all the bits you'd find on the peg boards in Tandy) and distributed them to independent electrical retailers. Radio Shack in the US has now collapsed so I'd imagine that was the end of that.

Just went into my local Maplin and they have confirmed they came in last week to over 800 price increases. 

The CCTV system I was looking to purchase has increased by £200, which is £100 more than its original price. The week before it was on special offer of £399 from £499, it is currently £599.

I guess like most people, I'll be going elsewhere. 

Edited by Guest
Otto collect strikes a gun!

Are they upping the prices in rediness for a closing down sale where they can appear to be giving huge reductions e.g your CCTV system reduced in the sale by £200 from £599 to £399?