Skoda Kodiaq Scout

7 minutes ago, WiggosSideburns said:

Meh. I just pumped the tyres up and filled the screenwash B).

If a modern car cannot go between services without needing all its fluids topping up (screenwash and fuel excepted!), then I think that’s a bit crap really.

I agree, but all the same, my Kodiaq needs the coolant topping up after 8k miles, which is still 10k miles away from the next service. It’s crap, but I’m not going to risk leaving it. 

On the the plus it’s not used any oil at all. 

This is the first car I've had that's needed the oil topping up, but then it was worked very hard at high RPM for 3 hours non-stop.

I think it's reasonable that a brand new engine consumes a small amount of oil and coolant as everything beds in.

To periodically checks the levels, well that's just common sense.

Edited by silver1011

Likewise, 8k am my coolant needed topping up. Never had to do it on my last Skoda. 200ml of distilled water and G13 additive sorted. Coolant top-up appears to be a thread that is reappearing. Apparently a small amount of coolant top-up is within tolerance according to my Skoda garage. Many reasons, primarily though recent hot weather spell and potentially a little evaporation (despite being closed loop) and air caught in the system from the factory being flushed can both contribute. No oil as that has not moved fortunately.

• Like 1

Coolant use on the early MkIII Octavia turned out to be a bad batch of waterpumps.

Any engine can use oil depending on the operating conditions, Skoda's record in this area isn't exactly unblemished either, ask most owners of the 1.8 TSI.

Looks like my coolant needs topping up too. Just over 1k done so far. It's sitting just above the minimum mark. 

Wasn't able to find any g13 at Halfords this evening so I'll look to grab some from somewhere up in the lakes when we get there tomorrow.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

DIdn't want to create a new thread as it's not really an issue and i'm not sure if it's just for the Scout either, but does anyone know what the slight beeping sound is every time you get out of the car and what's the point of it? It's a really strange sound as it feels like its coming from outside when you're leaving but i know it must be of some significance, just can't work out what that is!

5 minutes ago, Shevtheblue said:

DIdn't want to create a new thread as it's not really an issue and i'm not sure if it's just for the Scout either, but does anyone know what the slight beeping sound is every time you get out of the car and what's the point of it? It's a really strange sound as it feels like its coming from outside when you're leaving but i know it must be of some significance, just can't work out what that is!

Usually there would be a message pop up on the multifunction screen between the dials. The only time mine has bleeped and flashed up a message was when the drivers door was opened and I hadn’t put the DSG lever in park.

Beautiful Scout!

We have Sportline in order (thread) but was seriously considering the Scout as I love that trim, we currently have an Octavia Scout so thought we would be "sporty" now.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Shevtheblue said:

Have you left your lights on?

Have you left your indicators on (parking lights when ignition off)

Have you left the ignition turned on?

Have you pressed the 'boot open' button?

Have you opened the drivers door without first pulling the handbrake button (with Autohold turned off)?

They are the only beeps my Scout makes (so far), and they are all generated internally. The only potential external source of a beep is the alarm siren.

Edited by silver1011

3 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Have you left your lights on?

Have you left your indicators on (parking lights when ignition off)

Have you left the ignition turned on?

Have you pressed the 'boot open' button?

Have you opened the drivers door without first pulling the handbrake button (with Autohold turned off)?

They are the only beeps my Scout makes (so far), and they are all generated internally. The only potential external source of a beep is the alarm siren.

I know this sounds weird, but it's not that kind of beeping sound. I've heard most of those. My auto hold handbrake is always on, I never use the boot open from inside, lights are on auto. It's a very very dim prolonged beep but you can barely hear it, like it's letting you know that your doors open and then turns off when you close the door. Really hard to explain, the first time I noticed it I thought it was just a mild ringing in my ears but it happens whenever I leave the car and there isn't a lot of surrounding noise so that I can actually hear it!

Sounds like a fault, but at least it is one you can demonstrate to the dealer.

Years gone by, the MkII Octavia had a hidden feature whereby a faint beeping would occur inside the car if the battery was being drained excessively i.e. leaving the ignition on, hoovering the car with the radio and interior lights on etc. It wasn't mentioned in the manual and stumped a lot of dealers and even Skoda UK when people started to question it.

Whilst I appreciate that isn't the issue here, it may be that you've discovered something about the Kodiaq that none of us have yet! Better to get it checked out though.

I’ve also never noticed any faint noises in mine, but I’ll keep an ear out. It could just be an electrical initiation like when you turn the ignition on and the car gets ready to start. Is it that kind of noise?

Most VAG’s have some kind slight high pitched electrical sound when you either open or close the drivers door after unlocking. Perfectly normal and I would guess it’s some system booting up or maybe even a pump preloading ready to start the car. I’m not sure if it’s audible to everyone, but it certainly is to me. My Kia also does this.

My 1.4 TSI 150PS primes the fuel pump each time a front door is opened, and then sporadically anytime the doors are open. Many a time I've been cleaning the car, opening the doors to clean the door shuts and the pump primes each time, or hoovering / dusting with all four doors open and the pump whines away every so often.

23 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

My 1.4 TSI 150PS primes the fuel pump each time a front door is opened, and then sporadically anytime the doors are open. Many a time I've been cleaning the car, opening the doors to clean the door shuts and the pump primes each time, or hoovering / dusting with all four doors open and the pump whines away every so often.

Iirc the pump only primes the fuel system when the driver's door is opened and the fuel line primed pressure is low. So once primed it might not do it again until the fuel line pressure has dropped. 

Engines do housekeeping things on shut down. Coolant run on pump runs for about a minute after stopping to ensure turbo is cooled down. Not sure but I think the electrical turbo and throttle actuators are also exercised, all sorts of whirs and clicks for a few seconds.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

After almost 6 months, and just under 5,000 miles the Scout is going to be booked in for its first dealer visit to get a few bits looked at under warranty:

1) Squeaky / creaky drivers side seat base. After climbing in and setting off (as the weight on the seat shifts for the first time), the seat is squeaking / creaking. After it's done creaking (a few seconds) all is quiet until you get out and back in again. There have been a few similar complaints on the Kodiaq Facebook page that were fixed with a replacement seat base.

2) Squeaky / creaky front door grab handles. It isn't their attachment to the door that is creaking, its the fact that the handle itself is formed of two parts. It's as these two parts are grabbed and squeezed they're creaking. I had a 2018 Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo courtesy car for a week last week and it's door handles felt a lot more sturdy and importantly were silent. A few complaints on here and a few elsewhere. Not sure if a fix is available here as the issue looks to be part of the design.

3) Bonnet paint defect. As you look through the windscreen from the drivers seat, right on the lip / edge of the bonnet there is something wrong with the paint. The surface is broken. It looked like polish to start with so it was left for a while before I remembered to take a proper look. I wondered if someone has tried to lift the wiper arm off the windscreen and it has contacted the bonnet. Could be difficult to prove that it wasn't me though now. It was definitely there when we picked the car up, but as mentioned figured it was residue polish.

4) Reluctant boot load cover. When the load cover handle is pressed down, the cover retracts but barely, it's quite reluctant and often needs help. It's secured properly and is sat in the runners as it should be. A common complaint on other models for as long as I've been on Briskoda.

5) The radio has, on a couple of occasions, forgotten all of the radio station presets. Not sure if there have been any software upgrades for the Kodiaq since we picked ours up, but this has been mentioned on occasion by others.

Edited by silver1011

1 hour ago, silver1011 said:

4) Reluctant boot load cover. When the load cover handle is pressed down, the cover retracts but barely, it's quite reluctant and often needs help. It's secured properly and is sat in the runners as it should be. A common complaint on other models for as long as I've been on Briskoda.

Mine does this too. So did my Octavia. So does my dad's Passat (even worse, if you ask me).

I think they just need more powerful springs - but there's a limit because you don't want it taking your hands off, or being too difficult to pull back out. Maybe reducing friction on the 'runners' would help? Not sure how you'd achieve that though.

Mine has got progressively worse, to the point it doesn't actually retract by itself. I have to encourage it which of course results in it bending and flexing and generally not performing as intended. It's got noticeably worse now the cold weather has arrived.

I know of a few Octavia and Superb owners that suffered this on older or much higher mileage cars, which depending on their use is to be expected.

The one on our 2008 Octavia estate used to whip back quite enthusiastically, not harshly, but much, much faster than the one on the Kodiaq.

Of the 5, how many do you reckon the dealer will acknowledge, approve, or fix!? Unfortunately my experience with resolving little or minor niggles such as these isn't great, so I've set my expectations accordingly :D

The reason for getting them looked at now was due to this little caveat in their warranty terms and conditions...

Capture.JPG.a0954dc0da260708239b34b38f8d805e.JPG

Capture2.JPG.24c21b16fa5779c88d170567c678f2eb.JPG

Capture3.JPG.763801e41422a684931743918ceda69b.JPG

Edited by silver1011

2 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Of the 5, how many do you reckon the dealer will acknowledge, approve, or fix!?

My guess would be (1) will get looked at, I've heard of it being dealt with here. 

(2) will be that  "they all do that" - often with a suggestion that they or you should get the STP "Son of a Gun" spray out.  "They all do that" appears to be semi-true, though not good enough. On a visit to the dealers this year, the only new Skodas that did not squeak their handles at me were a Fabia and a Rapid. The Superb 3's, Kodiaqs, Karoqs and Octavia 3's all did it.  

(3)  will be blamed on car washing and someone lifting the wipers. You got your car new and I bet from other posts that you use your own equipment and you are too clued in to do that. I'd fight 'em on this one.

(4) just show them and I would expect them to do something if it does squat when asked to retract. My Superb 2 Estate is still good -  just a little stiff when not used for an extended period or it is very cold.  A bit like my willie.

(5) best that will happen is applying an update or saying they will do if one is available at the next service.

Hope I am wrong about anything (2,3 and 5) that I've been pessimistic about!

• Like 1