Automatic Braking

Orville

Last night my Karoq decided to slam on the brakes whilst I was on a gentle bend at ~30mph. The warning buzzer pinged immediately beforehand, but there was nothing directly infront of me or coming in the opposite direction. The only explanation I have is that the outside of the bend was protected by 3ft-high metal pedestrial railings and that the cars radar mistook these for a large metal object. Just as well there was nothing behind me.

I have heard the warning ping several times before, but usually when I pass close to a parked car or when traffic is appoaching in the opposite direction down a narrow road. This is the first time the car actually applied the brakes.

Edited by Orville

Sometimes the system in my Superb overreacts to another car, with a warning tone and flashing red display. It isn't very consistent. I dare say the Karoq is also a bit inconsistent. Not a fan of the system from my driving with it thus far, but I had better get used to it, as the Karoq, will be exactly the same, by the looks of things.

Safety devices can be very dangerous.

Use according to common sense not as designed by some Engineer inside a building for use somewhere that you are not at.

Location location location.

Turn off in rain, snow, windy places, back roads, narrow roads, anytime that the Safety Device could cause a traffic accident.

1 minute ago, AwaoffSki said:

Turn off in rain, snow, windy places, back roads, narrow roads, anytime that the Safety Device could cause a traffic accident.

Does anyone know what the insurance implications are if it is found after a collision that a vehicle fitted with an autonomous safety system had it disengaged? 

I only ask as some vehicles get lower markings on Euro NCAP because autonomous safety systems are fitted only on higher spec vehicles or as a cost option. 

As far as I am aware you cannot turn-off the automatic braking, nor the ABS, nor the airbags (other than passenger):biggrin:.

The car only slowed from 30 to 20'ish, but I didn't expect it, so it was a bit of a WTF moment. 

Edited by Orville

You can not turn off the ABS for the road,

you can turn off ESP even though it must be Factory Fitted as standard after a certain date, you can turn off TC / ASR, turn off with snow chains, to get un-stuck etc

You can disable DRL's, must be standard fit after a certain date, no need to use them,

you can turn on and off Fog Lights and Hazard Warning lights.

Not only can you turn off Stop Start that gets you cheaper VED, dealerships turn off Stop / Start or Automated Braking when faulty 

and The Manufacturers are looking for a Fix.

as to what Insurance Companies think, that will between you, the loss adjuster, crash examiner & the underwriter.

What do they recon to Drift Mode functions on a Focus RS being enabled on the public roads?

Edited by AwaoffSki

The hyper sensitivity of these systems is also being commented and criticised in other manufacturer's forums. 

In one scenario the AEB triggered when a Suzuki Vitara was going round a bend and there was a vehicle legally parked adjacent to the bend. 

In a motoring review video, the system triggered when the vehicle in front took a slip road and was slightly in front/adjacent to the vehicle. 

I understand the reasoning behind these autonomous systems. However, I have my automatic lights and wipers in manual mode for the majority of the time, because they fail to activate when I actually need them, and those systems have been on the go for decades.  It does not bode well for these far more intrusive systems. 

As a matter on interest did you have to sign a waiver when you picked up the car with regard to the systems employed  on the car?

I'm buying a Subaru XV 2018 with the Eyesight system, optical rather than radar, I’ve been advised that when I collect the car I will be required to sign a waiver that states that I understand that the system is an aid and not to assume that it will be 100% ‘safe’ without my intervention if required.

EyeSight*1, Subaru’s advanced driver assist technology, offers XV drivers a second pair of eyes. A high-resolution two camera system detects and interprets the environment, accurately tracking things like vehicles, motorcycles, bicycles and pedestrians. EyeSight comprises six safety systems that, where necessary, provide warnings and collision avoidance assistance as events unfold.

I've had the Red warning many times. With exactly the same type of railings sometimes.  I've only had the brakes apply once I think, because my understanding is that if you move the steering wheel (evading action) or use the pedals, then the car thinks you've taken control.

Unlike ABS or parking sensors, the emergency braking system isn't easily tested.

I've had the warning flash up several times, usually as I'm approaching a car that's turning left into a side road.

Brakes have been applied once in lane 3 of the A1 where I was caught out with traffic coming to a standstill for no apparent reason, grateful I had the system in that instance.

They are particularly sensitive to reflective material, I had a temporary  police slow sign in the road the other night when there had been an accident, it didn’t like that nor bike reflectors 

First time I've had a car with automatic braking / front assist and it seems a little flaky. Haven't had the brakes come on automatically yet but it has flashed up a warning at random times. There are some videos on YouTube of people trying to test it... not very successfully!

On the other hand, the adaptive cruise control which I assume uses the same sensor, works brilliantly.

• 11 months later...
30 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Front Assist is standard on all (UK spec) Karoq's.

You can't turn it off.

I seem to recall seeing an option to disable 'front assist' in the menu?

Lane Assist perhaps?

Front Assist can be desensitised, but not turned off completely.

EDIT: Nope, I'm wrong...

image.png.fdd95db6ec0b222e9bbd5ea78f9ad724.png

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

That’s helpful. 

Interesting that today LV asked if the car was fitted with Braking Assist when I enquired about an insurance quote, I couldn’t answer but now I am intrigued to know if it reduced the premium or increased it!

11 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Lane Assist perhaps?

Front Assist can be desensitised, but not turned off completely.

EDIT: Nope, I'm wrong...

image.png.fdd95db6ec0b222e9bbd5ea78f9ad724.png

Soon cars will be as complicated as planes, you need to read and memorise the manuals and train in simulators to drive.

Hope they don't start fitting half baked things like (allegedly) Boeing's MCAS system, that would be scary  ..:shake:

https://nationalpost.com/news/heres-the-terrifying-reason-the-737-max-8-is-grounded

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ashgall said:

That’s helpful. 

Interesting that today LV asked if the car was fitted with Braking Assist when I enquired about an insurance quote, I couldn’t answer but now I am intrigued to know if it reduced the premium or increased it!

Well ours, or to be correct, my wife's Karoq, insured with Aviva, came out cheaper than her previous Yaris.....whilst she's only got 4 weeks left to run on the current policy they credited her with just over £6. So I presume the Karoq is £72 less to insure than a Yaris.