Fitting a rear battery (in boot)

2 hours ago, VWGDT said:

Dead easy to charge the boot battery via a simple split charge relay used to charge caravan batteries. No need for heavy wires to the alternator as it will be for the camera only (in this case) and is isolated from the main starter battery. So no surprises :-)

The Westfalia relay I fitted for my split charge to my 13 pin tow plug is already in that corner, could easily run a wire to the battery. I would get the fuse plate as not a good idea to run without protection, the fuse values can easily be changed as no heavy current required. Happy days

Phaeton, A8, Continental GT, VW T5 and T6 (optional )use two battery concept to this day.

The latest T6 California has three AGM batteries, the starter in the engine bay, one under the passenger front seat and one in the left rear cupboard, all running off the same type alternator as my car via split charge system.

Would that work with a euro 6 smart alternator that shut down to trickle charge once the main battery is around 80% and increase considerably under engine braking?

Think the latest T6 has something like this....

https://www.rayneautomotive.co.uk/home/141-vw-t6-smart-alternator-dc-dc-split-charging-system.html

I am considering this for exactly the same purpose if I can figure it all out. Local dash cam shops have all just seen £££ and are not really interested in getting it right.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, VWGDT said:

Started looking into the install in my combi. As you can see, the studs are in place already. The large grommet towards the rear of the car (left of the picture 0603) is replaced with a different material for the drain vent hose. I wanted to order a left boot liner with lid from a 3.6 combi with my colour scheme which is yet to arrive. so I can return it to standard if I ever sell it, and I MAY go for a CETEK Dc to DC charger but not decided yet.

With this fitted, I can leave the car standing and my camera on for 5 days with full live stream over the cloud. 

IMG_0606.JPG

IMG_0603.JPG

Thanks for posting about it and showing the photos. Although mine is a hatchback not a combi, as the rear battery was intended for the V6 which is also an option on the hatchback, the studs should be present on mine too, I am guessing. That's good because I was put off by the idea that I'd have to drill holes which I really didn't want to do.

Presumably the tray was not already in place under the liner, but you ordered that and installed it?

• 4 months later...

IMG_0861.thumb.JPG.145550577a4ec6717b76b04c6d634378.JPGC3BEBCF0-9F86-46C0-8BBD-509B408B5141.thumb.png.872e0ae2298f6853eaf50e9a445e79d5.pngIMG_0861.JPG

IMG_1001.JPG

Managed to get battery fitted in the boot to keep the buffer camera battery going for seven days in parking mode, totally isolated from the starter battery. Uses EE in car Wi-fi to transmit to cloud to give live feed front and rear. Very happy with the outcome.

Edited by 3T1704X4
  • Like 1

On ‎14‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 11:35, 3T1704X4 said:

I use a Bluetooth battery monitor on front and rear batteries to keep an eye on them. The EE Wi-fi unit is covered in black tape to the right of the battery monitor as it is bright yellow didn’t want it being obvious.

7DD67116-F9DB-40DE-B57E-F2FC964908C6.jpeg

238854B8-94AE-4D52-A3ED-4B99BF51B6BA.jpeg

388367BE-D390-4804-88CC-6D8B3DAB8557.jpeg

9EC72ED8-6800-4889-84EA-9F3CAF0A0E1A.jpeg

I don't see a list of all the parts that you used and the costs...needs a tutorial if you have the time.?

The BlackVue works perfectly, I did have a problem with it freezing which turned out to be a faulty Memory card supplied by BlackVue when I bought the camera. They offered to replace the 32 gig card but couldn’t be arsed with sending it back. Just replaced it with 128 gig Sandisk Extreme Pro U3 V30 card. 170 MB/s read 90 write from Amazon on deal at £34. It’s worked perfectly ever since.

Incidentally BlackVue consider the memory card as a consumable and said to expect changing it out every year.

The camera is always on now not sure if that is why it’s so stable i.e. not getting spiked each time it gets start up voltage?

So much better than the 512GW Nextbase I have in my other vehicle.

I have all the receipts and part numbers which I can put together for you when time, got a few fitting pictures too but I will prob just send you that info on a PM as most people won’t want to do what I’ve done. 

I suspect it can also be done in the Passat as they do an R36 version our local firearms units use in Surrey. Sussex used the Superb 3.6 not sure if they still do. 

It doesn’t have to be just for a camera, I can connect any consumer to the rear battery like camping fridge etc and be safe knowing it won’t flatten the starter battery.

With the voltage monitor, you know either when to start the car or plug in mains charger. It also has an option to connect a solar panel up to 300W which charges the starter battery after the rear battery if full for proper off grid Aussie style camping.

Edited by 3T1704X4
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

I can now charge both batteries during the lockdown via the 13 pin tow bar plug with the tow ecu coded to 12v at plug socket with ignition off so no need to run the charger lead through the door seal.

I made my own lead with some 13 core cable and a 13 pin plug I had kicking around and used the 12v continuous pin and common earth (not lights or fridge earth) and wired into the Cetek quick release connector.

started off at 5 Amps and dropped to 0.2A after a few days and just keeps both large batteries charged.

As the Cetek DC to DC charger was used to charge the AGM battery in the boot, I set it to start charging when the front battery is above 13V, THEN  the front battery supplies current through the 10mm cables to the DC charger which supplies the rear battery with 14.7V (req for AGM). THE BATTERIES ARE ISOLATED BELOW 13V ( unless you connect the ignition sense wire on the dc charger for stop start equipped vehicles)

This then in turn keeps the dedicated BlackVue battery under the seat charged and also the Wi-fi hotspot battery fully charged so constant front and rear monitoring while it is stood still via the cloud.

Now if we get a power cut the rear battery keeps the BlackVue battery topped up for 7 days, once the rear battery goes flat the BlackVue battery continues with another 12hrs backup with the little hot spot battery lasting half that so happy with the parking mode setup I have now.

4A4F9EEE-3C8C-446D-B9C5-A22D9439D74E.jpeg

95426E07-7532-4BD2-A95A-AB39F6310B72.jpeg

502901E9-4BA9-4343-90D9-8A7FF994F9C8.jpeg

35DC22A5-9922-40EA-A53E-DE0DB3F6507D.png

27972F29-55AE-4E68-85AA-7C8684725AF2.png

2C3254D0-1315-4FC7-95D0-B2FDA0E85B64.png

Edited by 3T51704x4
Typo

On 20/05/2019 at 07:28, superbdreams said:

Does your blackvue camera keep changing the date on the recordings to something utterly wrong and ridiculous ?

Don’t get that issue with mine.

Only problem I did have was it kept turning itself off in a loop which turned out to be the genuine micro SD card which the guys at BV UK were happy to change under warranty but I just went to Sainsbury’s and bought a Sandisc U3 64 gig card, worked perfectly ever since. I am now considering a second camera for my van but looks like they are due to release a 2ch 900 x so may wait for that and put this 900s in the van instead.

E398DBAA-C41F-46B3-AC53-3BFEE816F3BB.jpeg

On 20/05/2019 at 07:26, superbdreams said:

I don't see a list of all the parts that you used and the costs...needs a tutorial if you have the time.?

I have been unwell with Sepsis off and on since November so not been firing on all cylinders. Will see what I can do, sent some stuff to Tommyz but nothing structured yet.

Great install that. Used the ctek on a couple of camper vans now and it's great kit. 

Having fun with my suspension and rear brakes today, 4x4 makes the carrier bolts a nightmare to get off. 

@rover220 Thanks I try to keep things fairly tidy. I wish Cetek would do a Bluetooth shunt like Victron Smart 500A shunt so I could monitor the current in and out too.

Yes I remember faffing around when I did mine, I was lucky to have use of a ramp at the time though.

Not sure what work you are doing, but do the rear discs not come off without removing the calliper carriers? Can’t remember if that was the Superb or my old A6 Allroad just clears.

Do you have the calliper wind back tool too?