Autoglym Lifeshine

anna_banana

Has anyone had Lifeshine on their Karoq? 

If so, was it worth it?

Also, can you tell? (Has it made the paintwork appear more shiny, or look different any any other way?)

Any pics you could share would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!

I haven't polished a car since I first did my back in doing Mrs G's car back in the early 90's. If a car is bought to keep I can see the point of a pro treatmement, but I wouldn't get it done at a main dealer.

We'll have our new car 4 years maximum, so I won't be getting it done. Always interested in other's views though.

14 minutes ago, anna_banana said:

Has anyone had Lifeshine on their Karoq? 

If so, was it worth it?

Also, can you tell? (Has it made the paintwork appear more shiny, or look different any any other way?)

Any pics you could share would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!

I opted for it but not got the car yet..............I'm expecting it one day next week.

Incase I forget, send me a PM and I'll report back after I've set all the gadgets up.

2 minutes ago, Macdemon said:

I opted for it but not got the car yet..............I'm expecting it one day next week.

Incase I forget, send me a PM and I'll report back after I've set all the gadgets up.

Thank you! I've messaged you.

What colour/spec have you gone for? 

Edition 1.5TSi 

petrol blue

rough rd package

heated screen

park assist

ACC

adaptive LED headlamps

Life shine stuff

GAP insurance 

Beige seats

Drivers key personalisation 

Edited by Macdemon

Had this polish treatment under a different name on our mx5 roadster direct from Mazda  , bird left its calling card on it while we were away for four days and it left a definite mark on the metallic paintwork , so I would never pay out for one of these treatments again . But that's my opinion , cost is just so ridiculous compared to purchasing a good quality polish and doing it yourself , I managed to find full detailing kit on eBay for £40 that car dealer was going to charge £259 for !,

It's more of a filler than a polisher. I opted for it last time but wouldn't do it again. Go to a pro detailer to do a proper job. 

Not worth it.  You can buy Autoglym Super Resin Polish and Extra Gloss Protection for about £25 and do it yourself in couple of hours.  I you like a deeper shine use a good carnuba wax instead of the Extra Gloss.

I had it six years ago on my Superb II but only paid £80 as I refused it at the stated price. £80 was a good deal as the car and carpets were "done" and you got a Autoglym bag full of bottles, cloths and a sponge, which alone came to near the £80 if bought at a shop.

Would not pay the £200-300 though.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Danny 57 said:

I had it six years ago on my Superb II but only paid £80 as I refused it at the stated price. £80 was a good deal as the car and carpets were "done" and you got a Autoglym bag full of bottles, cloths and a sponge, which alone came to near the £80 if bought at a shop.

Would not pay the £200-300 though.

So you did notice a benefit from having it done then? I managed to get it thrown in for free, but won't get a guarantee or the bag of goodies sadly.

Since 2009 I have had four Skodas two were treated (for free) by the dealer and two were not. Other than the cleaning kit in the boot I couldn't tell the difference.  In conclusion if it was free I would have it but I would not pay for it. It has never been mentioned at part exchange time.

We had it on our Karoq and also on the last Octavia that we had. Theoretically, you should never have to polish it again, but it covers more than just the paint. Internal fabrics and seats (ours are cream leather) are also treated in their respective ways and it included mudflaps front and rear, rubber mats front and rear and a rubber boot liner. Not sure how much it was as the dealer threw it in as part of the deal. We bought our car rather than PCP and intend keeping it for a few years so we took the 5 year warranty as well. We have a new Octy Scout on order and we've ordered LifeShine for it (£400)  and the 5 year warranty as we'll be keeping it as well.

I don't think the paintwork looks any different, it's just easier to keep looking good just by using Aqua Wax (supplied with the kit)

If your car is a keeper you may want to have a look at this;

https://gtechniq.com/products/auto/crystal-serum-ultra#content

I haven't had it done to my car, but I've read good reviews about it, IIRC, some  people on Briskoda have had it done. 

As an example of how some dealers are with these products, when I went to collect my factory fresh vehicle from the dealership, there was a 'lifeshine' style  (not Autoglym) goodie bag with various products in the boot. When I queried it they informed  me it had either been done as a 'freebie' or by mistake, or they probably had spare product lying around and so threw it in.

I never used it, and gave it away.  

I had my last car done by my friend whose a valet-er for Audi, he did a great job for £50.

I had the car for 3 years, and the difference from others cars I've had that weren't treated was that washing was far easier, dirt came off quick, the alloys dirt never stuck on.  Never had to polish it over the 3 years, as soon as jet washed, quick shampoo, car completely beaded up and looked great.

Sadly he's retired, so will be hopefully getting my new car done, had it 6 weeks, by a local detailer. Cost is £500, and that's for a full clean, machine polish and a ceramic coating applied.  The process is 2 days, whereas the dealer supplied option is probably a couple of hours at best.

My friend had his GTR done, and the results were amazing, like a mirror once machine polished.

2 hours ago, anna_banana said:

So you did notice a benefit from having it done then? I managed to get it thrown in for free, but won't get a guarantee or the bag of goodies sadly.

Yes i did notice a difference inside the car as it had just been done but did not notice a great deal of difference on the outside. In fact two weeks later I did a thousand mile trip and complained to Auto Glynn that the insects did not was of very easily. AutoGlym sent an apology and some more spray containers of insect remover complete with the certificate which was missing.

That is good service. I have also got the contact details of the Auto Glym industrial supplier who us a useful guy to know for top up liquids like snow foam and instant aqua wax. Half the shop price.

Edited by Danny 57
  • Thanks 1

I’ve had it done a few times over the years and as has already been said it really does depend on who applies the products. Sometimes really good and other times I’ve been back a couple of times as it became obvious that whole sections of the body work had been hardly treated at all.

For the less money I’ve bought a detailing kit including a DAS 6 Pro dual action, pads and chemicals and intend to the do the job myself when the car paint has had time to really harden off.  The kit will be good for many cars and for maintenance.  I recognise that some owners may not want or be able to do this for themselves but as an alternative I’d check local detailers, I’m sure would get a better result and at a lower cost.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, anna_banana said:

Oh dear, I'm now wondering whether to bother getting them to do it! Don't want to risk them making a complete hash of it & I won't even have a guarantee to fall back on :sadsmile:

If you go ahead with the Autoglym there is a guarantee and usually a maintenance kit. The last time I had it done I made sure they were aware that I’d be really checking that it had been applied and it’s reasonably easy to see where it’s been applied and missed.  Ask to retain any unused product from the kit.  One trick the in-house team pulls is to be very sparse with the application and then sell off the rest via eBay.  Look inside the doors, boot, around the engune cover to see that is been applied to all the surfaces. 

Always negotiate the price it is negotiable, tell them you’d probably like to have it done but not at that price.

10 minutes ago, ernieb said:

If you go ahead with the Autoglym there is a guarantee and usually a maintenance kit. The last time I had it done I made sure they were aware that I’d be really checking that it had been applied and it’s reasonably easy to see where it’s been applied and missed.  Ask to retain any unused product from the kit.  One trick the in-house team pulls is to be very sparse with the application and then sell off the rest via eBay.  Look inside the doors, boot, around the engune cover to see that is been applied to all the surfaces. 

Always negotiate the price it is negotiable, tell them you’d probably like to have it done but not at that price.

I got them to agree to do it for free, but they said I won't get a guarantee or the bag of products :sadsmile:

1 minute ago, anna_banana said:

I got them to agree to do it for free, but they said I won't get a guarantee or the bag of products :sadsmile:

Nit quite sure I fully understand that but it maybe suggests that they are going to use remaining product rather than a full kit?  Others migh5 well want to comment on that.  If it’s done right then it should be OK and even if it’s quoted as “free” it’s part of your deal so you would be in your rights to look the car over and challenge the finish before you accept the car.  Maybe, if possible, look at the car before and after.

if your not going to get it done elsewhere I guess any body protection would be worth having.  Whatever you decide I hope it works out well for you, whatever, don’t let it rob you of the joy of the new car.

19 minutes ago, anna_banana said:

Oh dear, I'm now wondering whether to bother getting them to do it! Don't want to risk them making a complete hash of it & I won't even have a guarantee to fall back on :sadsmile:

On balance of probability they will make a mess of it for no benefit to you anyway compared to diy after a hand wash for a couple of pounds worth of decent sealant in no more than 10 minutes of work with no skills required, just a good MF cloth.

I've always been cynical of these products when applied by dealerships.

A friend of mine bought a new Fiesta and had the "Diamond Coat" product applied to it at a cost of £200+ (from memory)  within a couple of months I was doing my best to reduce the appearance of bird etchings on the roof (obviously with little success).

As others have said, the effectiveness of these products relies on the application.  They need to be done by people who actually know what they're doing, not your average sponge-monkey at a dealership.

Having said that, a professionally applied ceramic coating would possibly offer the protection these snake-oil products have promised over the years.

Personally I go for a good quality wax/sealant and carry some quick detailer spray and a MF cloth in the boot to remove bird poo ASAP.  I've just coated my car in Fusso Dark Coat wax/sealant which has been certified for 12 months protection (in lab conditions) but even if it lasts 6 months I'll be reasonably happy.  It only cost around £23 for a large pot and was a doddle to apply.

I've still got a little Collinite 915 wax left which I bought for £20 in 2007, that lasts for around 3-4 months per application.  Even adding in time to apply, it's still waaaaay cheaper and possible offers better protection & finish that these wonder products the dealer tries to sell

• Like 1