Octavia 245 Owners Club

Good. Looking on Auto Trader occasionally and the equivalent 245s are still up for £1k to £2k more than I paid in February. And we know the history of ours! 

32 minutes ago, Swirly182 said:

Good. Looking on Auto Trader occasionally and the equivalent 245s are still up for £1k to £2k more than I paid in February. And we know the history of ours! 

Yes, looked on auto trader and the price I'm paying is nearly £3K lees than cheapest one with similar mileage and as you say knowing the history is great. 

I'm considering a nearly new 245bhp vrs estate, they seem very good value compared to the other options I'm looking at (Golf R estate and the S4 avant).  I understand the recent 245bhp version has the better front diff as standard that was only included on the older 245bhp special edition.  There are a few posts on here that mention traction issues and getting the power down. Could I ask a bit more about where that is an issue?  Is it only in the wet, or at other times as well?  Does it spoil the ownership experience or is it just a minor annoyance?   I'm coming from a 340bhp rear wheel drive BMW that struggles in the damp, but not otherwise.

10 minutes ago, JackReacher said:

I'm considering a nearly new 245bhp vrs estate, they seem very good value compared to the other options I'm looking at (Golf R estate and the S4 avant).  I understand the recent 245bhp version has the better front diff as standard that was only included on the older 245bhp special edition.  There are a few posts on here that mention traction issues and getting the power down. Could I ask a bit more about where that is an issue?  Is it only in the wet, or at other times as well?  Does it spoil the ownership experience or is it just a minor annoyance?   I'm coming from a 340bhp rear wheel drive BMW that struggles in the damp, but not otherwise.

Even in the dry if you try to hammer it in first gear you will get axle tramp as the front wheels bounce up and down looking for traction. Wet roads only makes it worse and go for a third gear overtake on a wet road and the car is fighting you with torque steer due to the torque from as low as 2,600rpm. The steering is nice and fast and exiting roundabouts can be fun in the dry in 2nd or 3rd gear. I should point out my car had 249bhp for 7.000 miles then 302bhp up until 15,000 miles then 336bhp (plus 517nm) until I sold it at 29,000 miles to buy something with 4WD to eradicate the traction issues. It was good on fuel however my manual hatch averaging over 40mpg compared to the 38.6mpg I'm averaging in my current 360bhp 4WD Superb.;)

Doesn't spoil my ownership experience at all. It's front wheel drive with 245bhp so I wasn't expecting it to be a 0-60 weapon and I very rarely launch it. Mines a family car, tow car, tip run car, etc and still entertains when I want it. 

• Like 3

On 23/05/2020 at 11:27, shyVRS245 said:

Even in the dry if you try to hammer it in first gear you will get axle tramp as the front wheels bounce up and down looking for traction. Wet roads only makes it worse and go for a third gear overtake on a wet road and the car is fighting you with torque steer due to the torque from as low as 2,600rpm. The steering is nice and fast and exiting roundabouts can be fun in the dry in 2nd or 3rd gear. I should point out my car had 249bhp for 7.000 miles then 302bhp up until 15,000 miles then 336bhp (plus 517nm) until I sold it at 29,000 miles to buy something with 4WD to eradicate the traction issues. It was good on fuel however my manual hatch averaging over 40mpg compared to the 38.6mpg I'm averaging in my current 360bhp 4WD Superb.;)

Re. the axle tramp on your vRS, did you consider replacing the original "dog-bone" engine mount /stabiliser with one with less resilient bushes?

I've not bothered with my  Superb, because I felt that I'd probably have to live with more noise / vibration. 

DC

38 minutes ago, old newbie2 said:

Re. the axle tramp on your vRS, did you consider replacing the original "dog-bone" engine mount /stabiliser with one with less resilient bushes?

I've not bothered with my  Superb, because I felt that I'd probably have to live with more noise / vibration. 

DC

Read up about it but decided I couldn't put up with the increase in NVH.:notme:

17 minutes ago, JackReacher said:

Is the axle tramp just a first gear issue, or could you also experience it for example coming coming out of a tight corner in 2nd gear?

Just pulling away from a standstill in 1st gear when you forget to feed the power in gradually and use the optional diving boots instead. Never experienced it in 2nd gear myself.:notme:

• Like 1

On 01/06/2020 at 11:55, JackReacher said:

Is the axle tramp just a first gear issue, or could you also experience it for example coming coming out of a tight corner in 2nd gear?

I've only experienced it when starting with a lead boot, never when the car is moving in 1st or 2nd.

It feels like axle tramp, but it just might be the transverse engine shaking violently  on it's mounts. 

Obviously you old crumblies @shyVRS245& @old newbie2 haven't been trying hard enough 🤣🤣🤣

On 01/06/2020 at 11:55, JackReacher said:

Yeah, be over enthusiastic on a damp surface & you'll get it in 2nd too, it will depend on how good the tyres you buy are also.

@JackReacher what are you trying to achieve?  & if that's Fleet in Hampshire your welcome to try mine out. Its got the 034 motorsport Ali dog bone mount with a stage 1 tune on Michelin PS4S. Might wanna wait till after the 16th as I'm waiting for new front tyres, mine are fooked see photo attached

20200602_152535.jpg

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Obviously you old crumblies @shyVRS245& @old newbie2 haven't been trying hard enough 🤣🤣🤣

Yeah, be over enthusiastic on a damp surface & you'll get it in 2nd too, it will depend on how good the tyres you buy are also.

@JackReacher what are you trying to achieve?  & if that's Fleet in Hampshire your welcome to try mine out. Its got the 034 motorsport Ali dog bone mount with a stage 1 tune on Michelin PS4S. Might wanna wait till after the 16th as I'm waiting for new front tyres, mine are fooked see photo attached

20200602_152535.jpg

OldNewbie2 in his wife's Golf R and my Superb 4 x 4 don't have this particular issue anymore but thanks for sharing Tony.:thinking:

6 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Torque steer is fun, makes you feel alive

Or dead. I'm all for staying alive.......

7 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

OldNewbie2 in his wife's Golf R and my Superb 4 x 4 don't have this particular issue anymore but thanks for sharing Tony.:thinking:

Sometimes, when I can be bothered to drive my own Golf R, it's just like the wifes R, docile, safe, nippy & far too easy to drive quickly.

If I want to experience axle-tramp again, (& I don't) the trusty Superb is still available.   

I've never noticed torque steer with the standard 245 either. I had an Astra VXR back in the day which definitely did torque steer, but I agree with the previous comment - it was somewhat entertaining! 

No torque steer issues from me in a standard '17 245. It is rather bland when flooring it, but the car does everything I want of it. 

When I had a '05 Fiesta ST that used to torque steer a fair bit, surprisingly. 

Cheers, it was an unused demonstrator they think.. got the sunroof, DCC, virtual cockpit, Canton, front sensors, rear camera and kessy.. been stored in a compound for 5 months and just off the the transporter so pretty dirty in that pic.

• Thanks 1