Range

This is from my recent trip to Lithuania and I've still running on fuel bought in Luxembourg at just under £1 per litre.

Most of the mileage is from long runs on the journey there and back, but there were a few journeys around towns, notably Klaipeda and Wroclaw, that would have brought the average mpg down a fraction.  We were fully loaded both going and coming back and I'm very happy with economy.

IMG_20180516_124751215.jpg

• Like 1

Got 500 miles ish ahead of me later today... Holland.. Belgium... France... UK... Car fuply loaded with 4 bikes on the back and will not be on a eco run.. Expecting 47mpg... Lol 

I've just had 500 miles on a weeks holiday to Wales. That also included a fair bit of 2nd and 3rd gear 'hooning' round the twisty bits ...

• Like 1

Filled up on the way to work yesterday, 823 miles on the tank and 105 miles left, it pinged at 810 from the last fill.

Makes the range on that tank almost 930.

It is nicely run in now.

Edited by IJWS15

On 05/06/2018 at 08:29, Offski said:

^^^ ?

How many litres was it that you put in today after 823 miles driven?

61.01 l of Asda's best standard diesel, 61.4 mpg.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Half way through the last tank coming back from High Wycombe actually saw the total of range and elapsed miles reach 1000.

As I stopped the range dropped by 5 miles so the moment was lost. . . . . . . 

This car is very good on long runs, and getting better.

9 hours ago, Baggins said:

This one's driving back from the isle of Skye to Dewsbury, air con on (heated seats on her side, don't ask!) Doing 80 where possible (stuck round Glasgow for nearly an hour)

IMG_20180626_214655723.jpg

Bit like my wife, temperature set low, heated seat on!

Meh, I'm over the moon with an anticipated 500-20 miles from the 280.  I even got close to 38MPG on a motorway drive this week.  With a full tank and cruising along the indicated + miles traveled was 600 miles (ok, I'm never getting that but still!)  Not bad for a car with this much poke. 

I'm not quite bored enough to create a spreadsheet etc but I'm pretty confident that Tesco Momentum is the best for the car.  Car seems more willing to rev and range creeps over 500 miles whereas with Shell full fat range is in mid-high 400's. 

Nice contrast with the 68 MPG I got on the drive down to p/x the 150TDI, which was closer to 65MPG based on previous tank-to-tank calculations showing the MFD was 3-5% out. 25 MPG on the return home was sobering :D

2 hours ago, penguin17 said:

25 MPG on the return home was sobering :D

I bet the soft feel of the carpet under the pedal was nice though seeing as I would expect your foot to be planted :)

19 minutes ago, hwr1983 said:

I bet the soft feel of the carpet under the pedal was nice though seeing as I would expect your foot to be planted :)

TBH, I was taking it easy and keeping within the 3/4 rev range guidance.  Though, you can still make progress at 4k revs in 3rd :) . 

Now I've done over 2k miles, the engine is wearing in nicely so the car revs more freely and I don't mind seeing needle on the redline now and again (oh and to stay slightly OT, the economy is also going up)

6 hours ago, penguin17 said:

Tesco Momentum is the best for the car. 

I agree with that even if I only have a lowly 220.:cool: And it is much cheaper than all the giants stuff.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/06/2018 at 08:08, IJWS15 said:

Half way through the last tank coming back from High Wycombe actually saw the total of range and elapsed miles reach 1000.

As I stopped the range dropped by 5 miles so the moment was lost. . . . . . . 

This car is very good on long runs, and getting better.

Gentle - well 65-70 on cruise - run to Winchester and back on the companies time last week gave the following.  Highest sum for Range and miles since refuelling was 1050 but it dropped a little when I hit the A30 at Sutton Scotney.

Getting back to the real world and the daily M6/M5 grind has taken it down but the aggregate is still sitting at around 970.  At this rate I won't need to fill it until sometime next week. 

I must get the duster out.

20180712_120414_resized_1.jpg

• 1 month later...

One corner of France to the other on a single tank of fuel.  Pretty pleased with that.  Mostly done at 130kmh but with a few traffic jams on the A7 North of Marseilles.    

20180811_220444.jpg

This from my morning commute earlier in the week. Car wasn't full to start with, hence the lower range, but it's the best MPG I think I've seen so far. I've been averaging 58-62MPG over the past few weeks, thanks to lighter traffic over the summer holidays. Best MPH I can remember in a while as well.

image.png.d887babc367377a6aa7d343982a06ea1.png

Anyone else noticed there is almost an inverse relationship between drive-green and range / MPG? Last night, resurfacing on the A420 and the early numpties on the M4 meandering to the southwest for the bank holiday weekend meant the journey was far from smooth - much more acceleration and braking (courtesy of ACC) than normal. My speed averaged less than 45, with MPG 52 - all as expected. Yet drive-green was 72, compared with the 68 above when the car was sat at pretty much constant speed all the way.

I can't fathom the green score at all. I have a 220 petrol and average between 35-40 mpg long term with figures above 45-50 on longer runs with motorway or free flowing roads as a major part. And yet I have never seen the green score go above about 55!! It sometimes records 90 on start up but even going downhill for the first 5 miles or so it quickly reduces down to mid range. 

Does anyone actually know what parameters it measures and over what time periods? It clearly doesn't give mpg a very high rating/ratio in the sums.