Petrol 4x4

Yes this has been an annoyance for me two over a number of years. 

When I was looking last year the Golf was similar, only diesel AWD models in the UK (R excepted) but apparently petrol now available...so there is hope for a petrol 4x4 Octy. 

I guess it's a gamble for manufacturers to rebalance production to petrol when diesel and petrol have a finite future.

I had a DSG Mk2 Petrol vRS and a Manual Mk2 Petrol Scout at the same time & thought a mix between the two cars would have been the perfect all round car:

Petrol Scout 4x4 with DSG and 200bhp.

Columbus, 4 season tyres, electric heated seats. 

(Without the oil use issues that both the 1.8 and 2.0 Mk2 petrols developed from about 60k miles in the 1.8 and 70k miles in the 2.0)

Everything covered. All the car you need in one. 

Edited by dunc69

A few years ago the MK3 was available in RHD in the northern hemisphere, but sadly not for the last two years. If you want one now it is a long way to bring it back from down under, saying that I don't see it on the OZ configurator anymore,  only the NZ.

Good though they are, they never sold well and they ruin their emissions average. The Superb only sells fractions of the TSI 4x4 that is sells in the other combinations.

It is a shame because having run a 1.8tsi 4x4 for the last couple of years it is a very good machine. Good at what it does and ideal for what I need it for.

4 hours ago, flybynite said:

Good though they are, they never sold well and they ruin their emissions average. 

Aren't the average emissions based on the actual numbers of cars sold and are EU rather than UK based?  So a few 1.8TSis sold in the UK wouldn't have much impact.  

1 hour ago, juan27 said:

Aren't the average emissions based on the actual numbers of cars sold and are EU rather than UK based?  So a few 1.8TSis sold in the UK wouldn't have much impact.  

I'm sure there are lots of ways the emissions figures are looked at. However I believe they are benchmarked on their range offering to market. There may also be a hierarchy with the other VAG makes involved too.

That is what I was told by Skoda UK when I pushed to get one supplied here. They said the petrol 4x4 hurt the numbers proportionally more because of so few potential sales. They said they were happy to forgo a few sales to bring down the range average.

That is Just what I was told at the time, and I did push quite hard. Maybe as regs change then it might change.

I was hoping for the 190ps 2.0tsi 4x4 with the DQ380 but seems like that combination is reserved for Audi. it may even have persuaded me to buy a face-ache :biggrin:

Edited by flybynite