Octavia Vrs estate overheat

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light or even if they'd experienced the same problem. 

I have had a 2013 Octavia estate for just over a year.  Recently it has developed rather a puzzling problem.

After starting and driving, if I get onto a motorway or point it up a decent sized hill the temp gauge will start to creep past 90. If I continue driving it will quite quickly go into the red and the computer will beep and tell me to stop. 

If I stop the engine then within a few minutes the temp gauge will drop back to 90 and I can continue on with the journey and the gauge will remain static at 90.  Even if I dont stop but simply back off the gas for 30 seconds or so the gauge returns to 90. 

Its been in and out of the garage a couple of times now. Auxiliary water pump changed as this had come up as a fault code and a new temperature sensor fitted. Neither has done anything to stop this happening.  

Ive done some searching of the forums and see that the vrs does seem to have a known issue with the water pump failing but that seemed to be due to actual overheating. Due to the speed in which the temp gauge returns to 90 this doesn't seem to be the issue.

Does anyone have any ideas at all?

Many thanks

Welcome. 

Possibly the start of the issue and you being due to replace the water pump, the over heating coming from the pump failing, not overheating causing the failure.

You do not say if petrol or diesel, or how many miles covered since 2013.

What does the Factory Trained Technician that did the other work say about it?

Hi, many thanks for your quick response. I knew Id forget the important stuff. 

Car is a diesel, has done approx 31k miles, of which I've done around 5k in the 15 months sinece I've had it.

Ive been using my local garage but it seems to have had them stumped. 

Im stealing myself for the cost of taking it to a Skoda dealer

I had a similar problem yesterday and up pops your post.

I'm total newbie only done 200m on 44k 2nd hand car.

Car with 4 people, straight level bypass 20min out from home doing 75mph for about 4 min and the warning lights start flashing and beeping.  Not being familiar with the dash it took me a moment to see what was happening. The temp gauge was nudging the red, it wasn't convenient to stop so eased off and luckily the needle backed off quite quickly so decided to carry on and without any more incidents.

I'm trying to decide now what to do, I've got the standard 3 month warranty on the car and with what I know at this point I can see a hopeless conversation with the dealer.

Let us know how you get on.

Hi, 

Mine is a 64 plate and i've had it from new and done 57k. thankfully I bought extended warranty

Had this a few weeks ago and dealer changed the water pump. search on here and you will find it's the internal valve inside the pump to divert from engine only cooling to speed up warm up on the diesels.

The new pump is modified from around MY15

i think you can push the dealer for a contribution as clearly it's a known manufacturing defect

Also consider doing the cam belt (if it's nearly due) at the same time as Skoda recommend doing the water pump at the same time as cam belt and this won't add a huge amount to the bill.

Steve

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kenppy said:

I'm trying to decide now what to do, I've got the standard 3 month warranty on the car and with what I know at this point I can see a hopeless conversation with the dealer.

You have 6 months by law ( nothing to do with any warranty supplied ) to return a vehicle with defects to the dealer you purchased it from.

Check with trading standards if the dealer won't fix it.

This is exactly the know overheating issue with the 2L TDI engine.

There is an electronically controlled sleave which controls how much coolant flows from the the cold-side (radiator/tank) circuit into the hot engine circuit.

The sleave can stick closed causing overheating but then pops open & all is back to normal for the rest of the drive.

It typically appears between 30-50k miles.

There is a new part available to prevent this issue from occuring again.

This issue is shown with a DTC - Engine Coolant Control Valve Stuck which you should be able to see with VCDS or another good scantool (or by the dealer).

There is a Skoda dealer TSB for this issue so any good Skoda garage should be able to diagnose it quickly for you.

Skoda are usually offering 50% good will contribution to fix this on cars which are out of warrenty which makes it about 300gbp with the timing belt change at the same time.

Edited by Gabbo
add more info

I had a diagnostics done yesterday to see what it would pick up re-this overheating and was 'disappointed' that nothing showed up. So at the moment all I have is that is that a warning was screeming at me and no evidence of it . I would have expected the diagnostics to have a record of this - but nothing is there.

What would have happened had I carried on driving, as I did, and then caused damage by doing so.

Would there be no evidence of of the ignored warning?

This issue does not log a fault code but following what some others have said, the coolant pump has an electronically controlled sliding mechanism. This is closed to aid warming up then opens to allow coolant flow fully through the rest of the circuit. Sealing rings internally fail causing the mechanism to stick intermittently causing the temp garage to go mad. A new coolant pump should fix it. Make sure distilled water is used when refilling cooling system

From the thread here I get it that the pump is most likely to be the fault and I think I can guess at how it works.

But the diagnostic does not show that I had an overheat event, so apart from my say-so how will the mechanic know that this happened?

I'm just curious to know.

I don't want to confuse things but the point I was making in the previous post was - given that there is no record of the warning, If I had driven on to cause damage how would it have been shown that I did so negligently. DSC04559.thumb.JPG.4677373bc2e3d9567d3bcc5a99cc7f2a.JPG

DSC04560.JPG

DSC04561.JPG

DSC04562.JPG

I get what you are saying completely. Technician will not be able to confirm the fault other than if it happens at time of workshop visit or through experience/brand knowledge. The slider is activated by a solenoid valve and my guess is because the solenoid valve still is activating/working(it’s the seals inside the pump that deform causing the problem) the ECU won’t recognise an electrical malfunction and won’t bring the EML on. Thats the only way it makes sense to me! There may be a particular measured value block that can read last engine time engine temp went over 90c but I wouldn’t know without looking.

• 3 weeks later...

Bottom line is Skoda know about this problem, as they manufactured a revised pump. If they refuse to help, ask why a revised part was made, then point them to the main thread on here about overheating issues.

On 4/27/2018 at 09:39, kenppy said:

Car with 4 people, straight level bypass 20min out from home doing 75mph for about 4 min and the warning lights start flashing and beeping.  Not being familiar with the dash it took me a moment to see what was happening. The temp gauge was nudging the red, it wasn't convenient to stop so eased off and luckily the needle backed off quite quickly so decided to carry on and without any more incidents.

It took me nearly a month to get this into a Skoda garage and was pleasantly surprised how accommodating they were, new water pump, no questions asked, no cost to me!

• 2 years later...

I have a 2015 scout premium TDI - CUNA 135 kw motor.  120000km.  I have had it since 5000 km and love it. Recently I have had the same symptoms described by Jonothanlewisright in the first post in this thread.

It gets up to 90 degrees within a few minutes( 6-8 km ) starting from cold. Then, intermittently, temp rises for a minute or two then drops back to 90 degrees where it stays for the rest of the day.

First time i noticed this I was near the top of an 7 km open road uphill drive from cold at 80 - 90 kph and the warning light and beeper came on.  Slowed to about 20  kph over the of of the hill and the temp dropped back  eventually to 90 degrees.

Since then it has happened 4 or 5 times over a couple of weeks and up to 10 outings.

So are the sleeve and solenoid part of the water pump?  Have not had any mechanical work done yet.  Is it a typical timing belt driven pump?

It will be interesting to see what it costs here down under. 

Trevor