Discounts before facelift

With the facelift due in Autumn, looks like big discounts are now being offered

As an example : over £4500 off a Fabia Monte. 

(examples on internet, not a specific recommendation)

http://www.discounted-new-cars.com/outright-purchase-cars/skoda/fabia-hatchback

https://www.carandvandiscount.com/search?mode=OP&vt=car&catid=5

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just bought a new Corrida Red Fabia Monte Carlo £3924 off the list price. Had to take out finance to get this but intend paying it off after the first month or sooner if I can. Had to have an in stock car rather than factory ordered so just the basic model but really looking forward to getting it without a long wait.

Edited by Karry

3 hours ago, Karry said:

Just bought a new Corrida Red Fabia Monte Carlo £3924 off the list price. Had to take out finance to get this but intend paying it off after the first month or sooner if I can. Had to have an in stock car rather than factory ordered so just the basic model but really looking forward to getting it without a long wait.

Hi Karry

I wanted to pay the car in full when I got it to save on the (quite expensive) interest levied. As we earn so little on our savings it made sense to do so. However, as you have found out the sneaky blighters make you take out finance to get the cheapest headline price.

After a long to-and-fro with my dealer he told me that if I gave notice to terminate the agreement (Skoda Solutions Personal Contract Plan) within 2 weeks of signing, then the only interest I would pay would be the daily interest accrued. I was sceptical but 'phoned Skoda and this was confirmed.

I 'phoned VWFS after 2 days of collecting the car and this had the effect of 1: cancelling the original agreement, and 2: gave me 30 days to pay in full.

The interest levied was frozen at the 2 days accrued and came to the princely sum of just over £4 pounds.

i paid it in full and, naturally was delighted.

Be aware of the timing - otherwise you may miss the opportunity to do so.

Bill :)  

• Like 1

Hi Bill

Thanks for letting me know your experience. I told the salesman exactly what I was planning to do and he advised me that I needed to cancel after day 14 as I would be breaking the contract with them and would therefore owe them £2000! He asked me to wait until the first payment comes out but I wont be doing that as I want to repay the finance a.s.a.p. I would be interested to hear other peoples experiences and advice as I would like to pay as little interest as possible.

Karry

Having read various threads now on finance I will be paying off the balance as soon as I have picked up my car to pay the minimum amount of interest as it is accrued daily. Cancellation within the 14 day right to withdraw period comes with no penalties as far as I can see and no incentives being claimed back.

27 minutes ago, Karry said:

Having read various threads now on finance I will be paying off the balance as soon as I have picked up my car to pay the minimum amount of interest as it is accrued daily. Cancellation within the 14 day right to withdraw period comes with no penalties as far as I can see and no incentives being claimed back.

That’s exactly correct. I have done that as have many others. A lot of us were also misinformed by the stealers, too many for it to just be ignorance, they must lose their commission on the finance if it is cancelled within a certain time period. Just to be double ceratin , As Lawnmowerman did I also just phoned VW finance who confirmed it is ok to pay off immediately and no incentives such as deposit contribution or service offer would be lost.

• Like 1

This has been the case in general for VW Group buyers for quite some time now, when I bought my wife a new Polo in August 2015, I just paid up in full - so I'd think I "lost" £2000-interest, I just could not believe that you would be allowed to get these extra savings then cancel, how wrong I was then, and even now!

Same goes for me.  When I bought my 65 plate pre registered Fabia in February 2016 with 19 miles on the clock, the dealer advised me to take out finance (which I didn't want) on the basis that I could pay it off and keep the 2 free services which came with it.  The salesman said to give it 3 months or so before I did this.  I suspect the finance needs to remain in place for this period so they can claim commission on the sale.  I checked with VW finance who said I could pay it off at any time which I did after a couple of days.  Interest was a few pounds and I have had my 2 free services since.  Just strikes me as a stupid way to do business but that's the car trade for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I collected my Monte Carlo today and paid off the finance which I took out yesterday with no problems and £1.76 interest for a day. Really happy with the car so far just under £13k through a price match on Carwow with a space saver wheel and no other extras. Thanks for all your advice didn't realise how easy it would be to repay with no penalties. Well worth doing the finance to save 2k and carwow gave me a £20 Amazon voucher whoop whoop!

Sorry to sound thick ( I'll quite happily get my coat and leave) but did you pay the whole cost of the car off including the balloon payment?.

Finance isn't my strong point :blush

Edited by RickW

6 hours ago, RickW said:

Sorry to sound thick ( I'll quite happily get my coat and leave) but did you pay the whole cost of the car off including the balloon payment?.

Finance isn't my strong point :blush

Yes - the whole cost - leaving nil balance.

On enquiring from VWFS, they will quote you the amount required to 'close the account' which consists of the amount financed (including the balloon payment) and the daily interest accrued.

E.g. amount of loan (inc. balloon) £12,000 (but excluding interest - which is what we are trying to avoid paying). Plus daily interest charge (could be as little as £2 or less). Let's say £12,000 plus e.g. £2 (1 days interest - estimated). Total to pay £12,002.

Thus avoiding the contracted interest charges of approx £1,900.

As I understand it, it is vital to action this within 14 days of agreeing the contract (and obviously the sooner you do the less daily interest accrued). As soon as you intimate your desire to settle the account the interest is frozen at that point and the contract is cancelled. You then have 30 days in which to pay that amount.

If you fail to do so I do not know what happens next as the original agreement has been cancelled. Be warned - you really must be in a position to settle the account within this timescale.

I hope this helps to clarify the procedure.

Bill :)

Thanks Bill,very clear.

I guess paying it off with a cheap bank loan would save money too.

I'd happily take a dsg with climate control and a few other toys for cheap 

As much as I would love the facelift model atm the options I would want  on it would.make it very expensive model 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, malcster said:

As much as I would love the facelift model atm the options I would want  on it would.make it very expensive model 

Absolutely, fill your boots!

Our Fabia was 6 months old - being used by a Skoda garage employee's relative. A practice they use to get cars registered and used but limited to 6 months (hence many dealers advertising used cars that will be available at a future date - i.e. 6 months old). Knowing a new model was on the horizon - but too far away for our needs (end of PCP on wife's car) we had quite specific needs (DSG) and found this at our usual dealer. We were very happy with the deal (over £4,000 off list and with a host of extras thrown in) and £1,000 equity in our Citigo. We have great trust in our dealer but we work them hard to ensure we get a market leading deal and do not pay over the odds just because we are a repeat customer.

I did not think at the time that we would incur any penalty on value when it became the 'old' model as I didn't think the refresh was very dramatic - and still don't. I am convinced we are up on the deal and will continue to be. 

Having said that I do not expect to change this or our Yeti - both keepers. Of course come the time I will either sell or they will end up with our daughter and son-in-law.

Cheers, Bill :)

• Like 1

On 23/06/2018 at 17:53, malcster said:

I asked at my Skoda  dealers yesterday and the bits and bobs like climate and cruise I would  want on a pre facelift Monte are factory order only. None in stock with those specs she said.

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 09:54, Tim1631 said:

Do they come with electric windows as standard?

Front only, and doesn't get one touch unless have rear electric window option

Think the new version gets one touch electric windows